Help needed if possible.

Username: Gasheadpowell

BristolEngland

Post Number: 1
Basically i have 2 400w 6 x 9's and 2 500w subs powered from a 2400w juice amp. I've got bad interference and one of my 6 x 9's has a tendency too make a popping sound as if i have the volume at a high level. Can anybody help with tuning?
Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance, Marc.

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1366
Can we have the model names?

BristolEngland

Post Number: 2
The 6 x 9's are YL-6955ITV, not sure of the make too be honest, they were a gift.
I have two 10 inch mutant subs, again a gift so not sure of model.
Amp Juice JA890.
Hope this helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Post Number: 90
Now I am not the best and helping with something like this. But If you hae 6x9's and subs hooked up to a 4 channel amp...hw do you have the filter's set? Dos it have a LPF and an HPF for each set of speaker hook-ups on the amp? I noticed that it has a HPF, LPF, and a Full Range. How do you have that set?

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1367
Well the 6x9 are rated at 50w, I couldn't find anything other than 1x2400w at 4 ohms on the amp which is ridiculous because it's a 4 channel. I can't help much on that without more information.

What are the subs rated at for RMS?

Have you tried running the speakers off the head unit to see if they sound better?

Also, to reiterate what Derek said make sure you have your settings correct.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
well if it is actually a 4 channel amp, you couldnt possibly run 6x9's and subs off of it safely. something will get damaged cause the subs need the LPF, and the 6x9s need the HPF or full range, they can use a LPF, but it wouldnt sound good at all.

Your best bet would prolly be to run the 6X9's off the HU and bridge the amp for the subs...but dont try that til you know what the impedence of your subs are and what your amp an handle

BristolEngland

Post Number: 3
I can set the 6 x 9's and the subs on different settings, for example i have the 6 x 9's on HPF and the subs on LPF.
I'm not too good with car audio as you can imagine.
But thanks for the help.
Also does anyone know how i can limit or eliminate the interference?
Thanks, Marc.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1373
How is the gain set? Should not be even close to maxed out. Quick easy way to set the gain is to turn off the subs, set your head unit to 3/4 max volume and start with the gain all the way down. Then slowly turn the gain up until you hear distortion. Then turn it back slightly.

What ohm ratings are the subs? Are they running off individual channels? Does the amp get hot pretty fast?

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1374
Do you have a Pioneer head unit? Is the power wire for the subs running next to the RCA's?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
alright, as long as you have the 6x9 on a hpf and subs on a lpf, thats not your problem then. when kind of interference are you talking about?

I have heard that you can have some interference and engine noise to your subs by running RCAs near your power wire, but that only happens with a cheap kit.

there is something called a ground loop isolater that goes between your HU and amp and hooks into your RCAs. not sure if that will help you or not.

BristolEngland

Post Number: 4
Ok i'll give that a go.
Being honest i don't have a clue.
Yeah they are running off individual channels and the amp doesn't tend too get that hot, unless its been on for quite a while.

BristolEngland

Post Number: 5
Yeah my headunit is pioneer and no the power wire is running down the opposite side too my RCA cable.

The subs don't have interference its just the 6 x 9's and the interference gets greater when the engine revs.
Where could i find this ground loop isolater? Any audio shop?

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1375
I would say the interference is probably caused by the Pioneer. I had the same problem. Audio shops may charge a pretty penny for one, unless you know of a cheap place. You can also pick them up on eBay for cheap.

BristolEngland

Post Number: 6
Ok, thanks for the help.
Marc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
you can get a cheap brand ground loop isolater at wal-mart. scosche brand, like 5-15 bux

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Sorry for double post, but here is exactly what im talking about on walmarts website.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=896355

that may jsut be what you need.

BristolEngland

Post Number: 7
Thanks for your help Derek.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us