Need help finding a good head unit

Bronze Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Post Number: 82
Alright, so I just got a 2006 Pontiac G6, and I am wanting a good head unit to put in it. Normally, I would find one on my own but under these circumstances, its a little hard for me to find one. Reason being, this car is one of those that use the radio as a computer in a sort of sense. Via the radio, I have 2 tripometers, my MPG econ, avg speed, oil life, and fuel range. Well these features are awesome, and I like them. So im wanting to find a HU that can perserve those features and integrate them into my new Head Unit. But also with a new head unit, I need the capability to hook up 2 amps. one amp is gonna be mono 1000w rms going to 2 type r's. the other amp is gonna be a 4 channel going to 2 component type r's for the doors and prolly (may not replace these) 2 type r coax for the speakers in the back window. And I would also like to have at least a 4v preout on those amp plugs. Oh, and I want it to be iPod compatible also...Ya I know, im asking a lot.

For example, before I was looking at this car I was thinking about an Alpine iDA-x001. Full ipod control, no cd player...dont care about cds as long as I have good ipod hook ups.

So, does anyone know of a good head unit that fits what I want? Or am I gonna have to settle for the iDA-X001 and forget about the diver information center stuff (avg speed, tripometers, fuel range, mpg, oil life).

Also, dont care if its single DIN or double, Touch screens are nice...would like to keep the HU under $500...I could get the ida-x001 on ebay for about 250 shipped, new. Can have the big screen (like the 7 inch) that flips out (single din) or the double din screen. it doesnt matter.

please help, and if I didnt explain something clearly enough, please ask and I will check here several times daily.

thanks so much

Silver Member
Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 202
ok get the alpine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
so sacrifice the DIC for the awesome HU?

Username: Ewok

Fairbanks, Alaska U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
alpine is a good unit, with great ipod control

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
i know its a great unit and all, i have looked at it for a while...i just want to know the possibility of finding a HU that has the controls my stock HU has

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5892
Aftermarket HUs do not support stock features like those.

The best you can do is hope a company like Scosche makes a kit for your car to interface with the computer. Otherwise you have to lose whatevers in the stock HU.

Silver Member
Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 204
or get rid of your stock features and replace it with a whole new HU

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1330
I was talking to a guy with a G6, he said that his dash unit was going to cost him $600 bucks.

I thought it was bad losing steering wheel controls, haha.

Tough break man.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
i dotn have steering wheel controls, so im not to worried about that...all thats on my wheel is cruise lol. and what dash unit are you talking about that he is getting?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us