Hight OUPUT alternator ????

Silver Member
Username: Tpa954

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 101
Ok well i am going to get a 160 amp High output alternator for my car . I was wondering do i need to change the cables running from my alternator for this amperage??? Also is this going to make a difference?? I am going to be running a 2 Kicker zx1000.1 and a kicker 650.4 For 2 mmats 3.0 should match up quite nice right ???

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5164
Yes you have to upgrade the big 3. At least 4 gauge, 0 gauge is recommended.

And you're going to need a bigger alternator than that for that much power. At least 200 amp.

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 156
sry to steal your thread but i have a similar question. I know how to find out how much more amperage I will be drawing, how do I find out how much amperage I am currently drawing with my audio system out of the picture? voltmeter?

Although I am not looking forward to it I will most likely need to get a HO alt and I wanted to know how big of one to get. Im guessing audio system draw + rest of car's draw = HO alt amp rating?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5174
If you calculate that way you most likely will come up with a numbe bigger than you can find an alternator.

As a general rule just get the biggest alternator possible. Anything less than 200 amp really isn't worth it unless you can't get anything bigger.

Username: Vincem1223

Post Number: 1
I need to know how big of a High output alternator i need for my 1999 honda civic EX to run a MTX TA81001 1500Watt Mono Amplifier, i Know it needs to be a big alternator for that much wattage, will i even be able to get a high output to fit in that small of a car. also will i need to upgrade my battery with the alternator, and approximetely how much will this cost for parts??

Silver Member

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 133
Vince check on ebay DB electrical i believe has some for your vehicle.

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 23
Vince,
here is the email for the guy at DB Electrical
dbelectrical@comcast.net
You are most likely to find one here.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5560
^^^^^ WTF are you people talking about

DB only makes alts for american made vehicles GM/ford/chrysler

Silver Member

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 134
They may be able to rebuild his alternator to the amperage amount he wants, ever thought about that ????

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5576
Have you ever heard of them doing that for a type of alt they don't sell?

Bronze Member
Username: Msand951

Riverside, Ca Usa

Post Number: 24
same question i just bought a hifonics amp from some guys for $150 a 2000 rms. at 1 ohm bxi 2006d http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16370
and i have a dodge ram 1500 in autozone they have two alternators one is a 136 amp the other is a 160amp. im guessing the 160 is a high output one. do i need something bigger if im going to try to push at least 1000 rms if possible. and which battery do you recommend. ive read that marine batteries are good. im hoping i dont need two.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5593
You don't need to replace the battery unless it's old/bad.

That amp only does about 1600w, it's overrated.

That alt is probably an OEM option. Try to get one ~200 amp from an HO alternator company.......

Bronze Member
Username: Msand951

Riverside, Ca Usa

Post Number: 25
thanks MS

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6539
"do i need something bigger if im going to try to push at least 1000 rms if possible"

You'll be fine with a stock alternator but it's not a bad idea to upgrade.

Username: Jayz27

H-town, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1
I have the same question? I have 2001 Ford f250 7.3. I put in this weekend a kicker zx1500.1, rockford fosgate p800.4, apline 4x100, ran throw a 40 cap. I all ready know I need extra battery, so what I'm going to do is make two seprate charging system. I already going to put two battery in the bed just for audio. The question I have is what size battery do I need? And on my truck has a opion for dual alt. .Do you all know where the second one goes and do i need any brackets to put it on . And where I can find a 200+ alt. , that is one wire hook up (so I keep them seprate )to fix in this location.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6599
"I have the same question? I have 2001 Ford f250 7.3. I put in this weekend a kicker zx1500.1, rockford fosgate p800.4, apline 4x100, ran throw a 40 cap. I all ready know I need extra battery, so what I'm going to do is make two seprate charging system. I already going to put two battery in the bed just for audio. The question I have is what size battery do I need? And on my truck has a opion for dual alt. .Do you all know where the second one goes and do i need any brackets to put it on . And where I can find a 200+ alt. , that is one wire hook up (so I keep them seprate )to fix in this location."

This is a bit confusing but I'll try my best. First off you're running too much power on your stock alternator and you need to be careful that you don't clip your subs to death with the voltage drop that you're probably getting thanks to all the extra current draw. Second...you don't need extra batteries unless you plan on blasting your music with the engine off(these extra batts would be your battery bank and run out of juice eventually possibly damaging your electronics). If your vehicle has an option for an extra alt it may have a mount already there, just go and take a look for where it could bolt up to. If you need a bracket I'm sure you can find one for that vehicle fairly easy since you said a 2nd alt was an option on it. For an alternator you can look into the following companies but do some research before you decide:

Iraggi Alternators
Excessive Amperage
DB Electrical
PowerMaster
Ohio Generators
Iceberg

There are a quite a few companies you have to choose from but this is all I can think of at the moment. Oh and a one wire hookup alt would be called self exiting.

Username: Jayz27

H-town, Tx Usa

Post Number: 2
Thank Robs. What I mean to said is that i going to put it in this weekend and not I just put in. I What the separate charing system so I don't mix with my stock charging system with what power my amps(so the ecm, light , etc. will not be effect by my system).So what size batteries would you suggest and brand, so I can get everything out my amps. Remeber I'm just to run the Amps. And what size alt. Sorry about running but this first try with a good system and I what everything to be prefect.
Thanks again

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5763
Biggest alternator you can get, and a Odyssey 2150 or Kenitik 2400 battery

Gold Member

Post Number: 6617
Get yourself some KINETIK Hc 2400s or an Odyssey 2150 like M.S. said. I'd personally get 2 of either of those batts if I planned on playing the system with the engine off. Make sure you get yourself good 1/0 awg wiring as well. Well to Knukonceptz if you're on a budget(www.knukonceptz.com). If not I'd get Kicker Hyperflex wire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us