Is a second battery Hard on your alternator ????

Bronze Member
Username: Tpa954

Hollywood, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 98
I am thinking of getting a second battery to throw in the back but was wondering if it is going to be hard on my alternator, i also read that all i have to do is wire it just like a cap + to + then to the amp and then - to - then to the amp is this correct, Thanks alot.

Username: Devink

Op, Illinois

Post Number: 4
yeah thats right, i actually just put a second battery in my car a few days ago. you have to put an inline fuse in the positive wire tho. i used a 150 amp anl fuse. it isnt hard on your alternator because when one battery is powering the system the alternator is charging the other one.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12350
If you connect two batts in your car the alternator will certainly see a difference.

"it isnt hard on your alternator because when one battery is powering the system the alternator is charging the other one."

Again, when you connect two batteries to any system the alt charges them both, simultaneously, unless you connect some sort of relay switch between the batts and alt.

I'm thinking like a solar guy cause that's what I am. You have a battery bank made up of several separate batteries connected in series, parallel or both. The charging source is insignificant be it solar panels or an alternator. When power is supplied it charges the "bank" of batteries as a group, not individually. Power pulled from this bank is also not individual but as a group.

It's also important to note that it's advisable to replace all batteries of any bank at the same time. Different cell conditions between batteries of different ages can wreak havoc on the life expectancy/performance of the entire bank of batteries.

To say the alt will charge one battery while not the other is assuming some sort of switching device. While a larger battery bank is nice for those large draw moments, it doesn't replace a HO alternating source to feed those batts all the juice you're eating up while bumping.

Let's put it this way:

If the stream doesn't grow any larger, yet the farmer builds a larger damn, will he get more water out of his system?

Silver Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 211
Just get a Kinetik battery, they have a really low ESR so your alt won't have to work as hard to charge it. Other car audio batteries probably have low ESRs too, but Kinetik is the only one I can say for sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us