Help!!! Sony xm-d1000p5 amp dead

Username: Plokkr123

Post Number: 1
Hi, i recently bought this amp from a friend along with sony xplod subs in a box(i am new to this audio thing). He hooked them up for me, and they worked fine for about 3 days. 1 day i started up the car and i noticed the subs were not working. I called my friend and he came over to look out my setup and he couldnt find anything wrong with them. no fuses were blown, (we think) or wires, wired incorrectly.We tried unhooking the amp and reconnecting all the wires to the amp but there is no green or red light, just a clear whie light. when we touch the battery wire and the deck wire to the connecter things on the amp we see sparks. So we know that it isnt because of the battery. Can someone plz help me out here? thank you

Anonymous

I can tell you whats wrong with it. It has the name SONY on it period. Never buy SONY products they are cheap and they do not last because sony is a sorry company that doesn't stand behind their products.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3298
he's right really.
sony is about the worst company in the car audio realm.
the amp probably failed.

Post Number: 2
wait, what do you mean the amp has failed? like do you mean the amp is blown?

Bill B
Unregistered guest
duh yeah!

Post Number: 3
i dont get it, there is no reason for my amp to die. Its not like i dropped it or spilled water on it. A product cant be so bad that it will just die spontaniously. I am pretty sure there is a way to fix it

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 173
Actually with sony there is a reason for it to die sponaneously. But there's hope, we can fix this AMP. Throw it in the trash and go and buy Rockford, JBL, or somebody good.

Anonymous

YEAH sony products have been known to just DIE.
Do like patrick said throw that crap in the garbage and buy something worth buying.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 193
Products do die like that every day, it's not always the user's fault. You're talking about a complicated electrical component that generates loads of heat, over 200 degrees usually, depending on where it's installed and how hard you drive it. With the poor design and cheap components that Sony uses, you're asking for trouble. It sounds like it's blown.

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 83
james... i have a manual for your amp with a trouble shooting guide but it doesnt say anything about the power protector light turning white, but il list what it says anyway in case it could help you
THE POWER/PROTECTOR indicator doesnt light up...
the fuse is blown,
the ground wire is not securely connected,
the voltage going into the remote terminal is too low,
check the battery voltage (10.5-16v)
THE POWER/PROTECTOR indicator change from green to red..
turn off the power switch the speaker terminals are short circuited,
turn off the power switch make sure the speaker cord and ground wire are securly connected

thats all the information on the trouble shooting guide and to be honest i dont think it will help but its there anyway
if somone asks me if sony amps are ok and should they buy one id say no theres better amps out there for less money, but when you've already bought one and you have a problem with it and you post a question about it the last thing you want to hear is a string of answers vertually telling you that your a fool for buying it yet offering no help whatsoever,
ive been using the same amp as you with 2 infinity 12's running off it for the last 8 months with no problems, SQ isnt great but the SPL is ok, but i do think the output power is over-rated and they are definatly over-priced.

major general
Unregistered guest
nice one

suckdick lorenz
Unregistered guest
yeah trash it coz patrick lorenz says so.. that kids a jerk he knows nothing

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3360
"i dont get it, there is no reason for my amp to die. Its not like i dropped it or spilled water on it. A product cant be so bad that it will just die spontaniously. I am pretty sure there is a way to fix it"

actually Sony amplifiers do this a LOT.
They have about a 50% failure rate. They do in fact happen to just fail and die within weeks or months of purchase, for no discernable reason.
Sony will repair or replace them, but you still have a poor quality amp that'll fail again in the end.
This is why the shop where I used to work dropped Sony entirely.
Poor reliability, cheap quality, and even as an authorized repair center, impossible to get parts (6+ month waits)

Username: Lucky_ducky

Post Number: 1
I have 2 sony xplod 12s in his trunk and a regular box with a 760 watt amp with a sony xplod deck and his system hits hard and has never had any problems and I had it for about a year but that is the only sony system i know of that works and never went out

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 37
...sony ain't that bad. most stuff is cheapshit, but there are some lucky picks available

you haven't mentioned the amp's name so far...

why not just go to a shop & ask for a quote?

Anonymous

I would like to hook my amp up through a toggle switch how can I do that?

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 93
must admit i dont like the xplod subs

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3369
put an on/off switch on the remote trigger.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us