Too much amp?

Username: Propergee

Modesto, CA

Post Number: 3
I've got two Kicker Comp 10's coming in the mail and they're both SVC, rated at 125w RMS and 250w MAX. I'm trying to find a well matched amp but I can't decide which will work best.
The two amps I have in mind are a Rockford 351s and a Kicker ZR360. The 351s will push 90watts RMS per channel @ 4 Ohms. The ZR360 says it will do

"Output Power (resistive) minimum output (20 Hz to 20 kHz @ 1% THD+N, all channels driven into 4 ohms): 141.1 watts x 2 @ 12.8 volts"

whatever that garbage means :-p

If the ZR360 can really do 141watts RMS and the subs only take 125 RMS - does this extra power damage anything or is it just ignored?

Please help me choose between the two. Much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3241
the ZR360 should be fine.

Modesto, CA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the help GlassWolf

On an unrelated note -- I also want to add some Bass Shakers and I'm going to need to wire a seperate smaller amp.

Basically, I want to know if I can shave off a part of the positive cable's covering and bend the exposed, metal fibers into the main amp's power input and continue on to the next amp. Thus, allowing me to use one power cable from one battery terminal - to connect my main amp and my smaller, crappier amp. Do I need to put in a fuse between the two amps?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Modesto, CA

Post Number: 5
...or can I just hook up the Bass Shakers with my other subs and forget about buying a small, crappy amp? Can I just hook up a Shaker and a Comp10 inline with each other and run both on a single channel? That way I'd have a Shaker and Comp10 on each channel.

I'm worried because even though they are both 4 Ohm, the Shakers have a max of 50watts and the Comp10's have a max of 125watts.

If I connect these two up to the same channel will they both get exactly half of the power or is there a way to have the Comp10 get more power than the 50watt Shakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us