Opinions on a good 4 ch. amp

Username: Gustavocordero777

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 1
This might get long... Basically I am looking for a 4 ch. amp to power alpine type-r's in the front and rear deck. Each speaker is rated 100w rms, so an amp thats p 100 watts x 4 (4 ohms) or more is what im looking for. The only other two requirements are that it have a remote bass knob (doesnt have to be included, just available), and that it be under $400 retail. Right now I'm debating between the Kicker ZX650.4 or the Audiobahn A6004V. The kicker is great but on the pricier side and I like the Audiobahn beacuse it came with the voltage monitor but it falls a bit short on 100w per channel. Im not trying to skimp on the amp, thats why I need advice. There are so many amps that fall into this criteria so I was hoping to find something as good as the kicker but a little cheaper (like the Audiobahn, although it might not be as good...opinions?) Thanks for reading and for the suggestions!! I will buy the amp that is recommended in this thread because this is my final stop. So tired... of searching.. (panting) To sum it up:

1. 100 x 4 (or more)
2. remote bass knob
3. $400 or less

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 2
someone help a brother out!!

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 413
4channel amps don't come with remote bass knobs. They are't built for subsonic bass frequences. Bass knobs are offered on some class d and mono amps which are mostly used for subwoofers.

usually a remote bass knob ( on a sub amp ) only adjusts the bass boost, which is dangerous if missused due to clipping. This is why most people don't accually use them or bass boost for that matter. If you want bass control besides your head unit controls up front get a decent 4-band eq and mount it in the dash for your front and rear stages.

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 3
thanks eddy. THERE ARE MANY 4 ch amps (class a or b) with bass knobs. I know that I can use the head unit controls. I just like the idea of the bass knob... Do you have any suggestions on a specific one? 4 band eq is not necessary.. I have an Eclipse CD7100 HU, it has 7 band eq. Why do you want the bass knob if you have 7 band eq in you HU? because of the ease of adjusting bass, rather than having to go through 20 menus in the HU!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4516
Bass knob = clipping

Those things should not even exist as all they do is enable noobs to burn up subs. Experienced people know not to use them...........

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 420
you want to adjust the low level eq not bass boost. bass boost clipps the signal and will damage speakers.

you are looking at features that are cosmetic not functional.

I suggest you get an all audiobahn system with flashing blue leds and bulbs, a capacitor with a fancy voltage display, and maybe an amp with an alarm clock just in case you fall asleep cause the sound quality sucks.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 7533
^lol at the alarm clock

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12594
go with alpine F545 which i own so i know it works well or 1 of their newer models 100x4 or 125x4 amps ...get a separate amp for the bassline .....

Silver Member

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 421
So the Alpine type-r components freq response is 65Hz-37kHz. So what is your bass knob going to control, the eq curve from 20-60 hz? How much bass you plan on getting from your speakers... thats what subwoofers are for!

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 4
fair enough eddy. close thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us