Hooking up a car stereo amplifier with subs to a sony home stereo sysem

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through January 01, 2005FryGuy.ca100
Archive through September 19, 2004FryGuy.ca100
Archive through August 11, 2004Anonymous100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Unregistered guest
i have a question that i need help with really badly. i want to purchase a nitro 1000 watt 2 channel amplier to power a 1000 watt rms kicker subwoofer but i have a car with a 70 amp alternator. can someone please tell me how many amps i would need to run the amplifier and if they make universal alternators or performance alternators to fit a 99 kia sephia or if the stock alternator would work fine.

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 512
The first question is do you have a stock battery. The second is do you plan on running it at full volume for extended times?

If you have a stock lead acid battery, that will have to be replaced with a high capacity deep cycle battery. If it's not replaced, when running the system for long periods and with the frequent discharge/charge cycles will eventually cause premature failure of the normal lead acid battery.

If you're only running the amp at full or near full volume for short periods (depends on the storage capacity or the battery) you should be fine. The battery will store the power and reduce the overall strain on the alternator

If you want to know your systems capacity and when it's near its limit. I would install an in-dash or under dash volt meter and amp mater. This will allow you to monitor the charge and drain in your electrical system. You'll know that when you see the voltage getting low and the charging current rise 20+ amps, you know your battery is getting low and the alternator is starting to do all the work.

If you plan on driving around with it at high volumes all the time (Not good for your ears, but that's whole other problem) you will want to install an after market high capacity alternator (or alternators in some cases). Installing extra batteries will always help with the systems capacity and stress.

Username: Xander

Ipswich, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 1
um, i know this has been asked so many times before and for that i apologise. But, with car head units right? I have an old computer power supply running at 12 Volts and 9.5 amps, however when i connect it using the original switch from the PC case, it shags up. it doesn't even light up my head unit the headunit's a
Kenwood KDC-MP4026. It's a new one and it's frigging good but i can't work out how to power it. Help please.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 533
It applies to AMPs also. What size amp? I would say that the power supply is too small. If its an old AT PSU with the switch on a wire, they will most likely have problems.

Unregistered guest
i've been reading these forumsnfro bout a month.. and i think im ready to go at it.. but before i shell out some change into this project..lol

the specs on the amp are

Fuse - 60 Amp (4 X 15A ATC)
Crossover - Yes
Protection - Thermal, Short Circuit, Overload
Max Power Output - 500w
Power @ 4 OHM 300 x 1 @ 4 ohms
Power @ 2 OHM 400 x 1 @ 2 ohms
Signal To Noise Ratio - 115
Battery Voltage Range - 10.5-14.4

and i was wondering would i need to do your (FryGuy's) ATX mod to 2 supplies.. or could i only use one but dont cut the amp all the way up and get away with using it that-a-way? and (i think this was answered as well but i dont think i caught it).. is it possbile that i can cut the amp off with the power suply's Switch on the back or would i have to follow the other way to use a switch on the power supply?

Thanks in advance.. and sorry if i asked a question that was on here before..

Gamer Gee

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 538
You could get away with one power supply if you don't intend runing the amp very loud/hard.

If you bridge the BAT to the REM with a short wire (this will hold the the amp on) and the PS_ON to the ground on the PSU (to hold the PSU on). Then the switch on the PSU can be the main power to turn the power on or off as you want.

Hope that answers your question.

tpot
Unregistered guest
hello,

just went out & bought (1) 350w ATX power supply for 20 pounds. ..followed fryguys guide posted above to hook up my 300w active sub.

just wired PWR & REM together, wired together ground&pwr_on on the power supply, and finally +12v (yellow) to PWR, and ground (black) to GND.

BAAAAAASEEEEE !!!

works a treat ! seems to work fine even up a high volume. It is so loud. try it !!

thanks again for the info.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 547
I'm glad you liked the mod. If you got some pictures of your setup, please send them my way for my web site.

OUTLAW11
Unregistered guest
Hey whats up, i got a 480 watt sony xplod amp and 2 phoenix gold 10s i want to add to my home stereo system.i am running the the amp of the output from the tv and i have the 12v power it needs but what would i use for the rem. wire.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 556
Use a short jumper from the REM to the BAT(+12)to hold the AMP on. The you turn on/off the PSU and the amp will turn on/off.

tpot
Unregistered guest
yeh thats what i did. Iv got the sub pointing directly into the sofa now ! its great. Ill post a pic or two when i get a camera.

-also found out that my sub won a gold medal award in a magazine (its a bombA300 made by focus), and i havnt got a car at the moment so its good to make use of it.

cheers again.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 575
Nice to hear that you got it going. I can't wait to see some pictures of your setup.

Anonymous

QQdddsa

ampy
Unregistered guest
hi i have a 1ooo watt amp and was wondering if i could some how hook 5t up to my home receiver

Unregistered guest
WHAT DO I NEED TO HOOK A CAR CD PLAYER UP TO A 110V OUTLET TO USE IN THE HOUSE.PLEASE GIVE INSTRUCTIONS IF POSSIBLE.

THANKS

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 587
The instructions for a power supply are in the document attached above.

jeremy monkey
Unregistered guest
fryguy can't find the document. Where is it?

sorry

Username: Simitch

Post Number: 2
Hey
I want to run a sub from my 4 channel amp, which has got a 'front' and 'Rear/ sub' aux socket.
However the Head unit ive got only has one set of aux out to the amp so i cant put in another
run in solely for the sub. Would i have to split the aux lead going into he amp using aux splitters so it can be split into the front and rear channels. would that work in the same way as having a seperate cable run.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 590
Upload
Using_an_ATX_Computer_Power_Supply_to_Make_a_Scalable_Multipurpose_Power_Supply. doc (51.7 k)

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 592
That will work, the only thing is that front to read fade won't work.

Unregistered guest
Is it possible to hook up six 6x9's to a 110 watt stereo amplifier

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 602
That amp can only power two or mabe four of them properly, its a small amp. You could run four of them if the amp can run down to a 2 ohms load.

New guy
Unregistered guest
i have a normal teac home stereo and i have two 10" pioneer subwoofers and an amplifer. the amplifier is hooked up fine but i dont know how to connect the subs to the amp, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Orling

FryGuy,
I did what you've discussed - I got me an ATX ps, powered my PIONEER TS-WX75A sub with built-in amp, connected to DVD player....but alas - noise!!! Strong humming noise! And it's not only coming from the sub, but from the sattelite speakers too! The sub doesn't give any noise when I pull out the RCA cables, so noise seem to be coming from the DVD player or something...

I've read about the ground looping thing...how can I fix that? Please, help!

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 615
With the RCA cables removed and the noise disappearing, that is a sign that you have a ground loop feed-back problem. If you pickup a simple passive or even better an active type ground loop isolator from your local audio dealer this will eliminate the problem. They can cost about $10-30 CND.

Unregistered guest
I have a an old car radio that is supposed to use one 8 ohm speaker. The speaker blew and I found the same size speaker but it is 4 ohm. Is there any way to make this work?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 619
Two wired in series will be 8 ohm. In parallel will be 2 ohm so watch how you wire it.

Post Number: 3
Fryguy,

Thanks a lot for the help. But here's what I did and it decreased the humming noise:

I noticed that I have speaker input line on the bass-tube, so I wired those instead of the RCA. Now the noise disappeared (or if not completely, at least substantially), but the new problem is that the sound (signal) seems to be too weak - I mean, I really need to crank-up the volume in order to hear some strong bass. Could you help? Here are the specifications: speaker line input to bass tube = 5V+5V/5kOHM, DVD player output = I don't know exactly, because the book with it is not really informative, all it says is literally this the way I've written it, on one line: "Audio: 5.1 channel 0.5Vp-p mix stereo 2 Vp-p".

Can you help?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 621
I'm not sure what brand or model of bass tub you're using but it should have a gain/input sensitivity knob to adjust the input sensitivity.

When you change inputs you need to adjust that knob to match it to the different input signal voltages.

EX: When the source signal is at max the sub should be pushing at max volume also, that's what the gain/input sensitivity knob does.

Post Number: 4
Dear Fryguy,

I'll try with the "simple passive or even better an active type ground loop isolator" that you mentioned. Unfortunately I'm in non-English speaking country, so how can I explain what exactly I need? Is it something that separates the grounds on the cable or what?

Unregistered guest
I have three 10' inch subs built into a bed box frame, in one box seperated, two subs are left/right rear channels and middle for sub.
And before I insulate it, I need to know the proper port tub size/length for the speakers, the size of the three are same (20'w/15'h/24'l ( front to back)
I tried uploading a picture but it says ( the maximum allowable upload size (which is -1 kilobytes). LOL I send a picture of it completed later.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 622
Orlin Grigorov, Yes it isolates the grounds electrically so that it eliminates ground loop feed-back loops that causes the hum or buzz noise.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 623
Best to consult the documentation of your sub for a port length that they recommend. You can also get the Thiele-Small Parameters to calculate your own custom tuned port from this documentation also.

Buntman
Unregistered guest
I aint caring about precesion, just an suggest, three subs, rca, sony, and dr crankenstein
TIA

Buntman
Unregistered guest
I aint caring about precesion, just an suggest, three subs, rca, sony, and dr crankenstein L|S|R
TIA

Germz24
Unregistered guest
how do I give a AT computer power supply a 5 volt load?

Germz24
Unregistered guest
how do I give a AT computer power supply a 5 volt load?

charlie lost soul
Unregistered guest
i need to know wat the what the colors are for the speakers in a ford thunderbird. its a 1990 and doesnt have any harnesses i know the wiring for the deck but cant get any sound. the stero has power and does work but i dont want to ripp the car apart to find the wiring for the speakers. how can i get a shematic for the wiring ?

Username: Capitan_jack

Post Number: 7
Hi Johnatan
sometimes ago i saw your article and you really help me.i have 1000 watt sony amplifier with 15" sub and 5 ATX Powersupply and my bass is very hard.now i have question can i use two 12 inch 8ohm normal speaker instead the sub?

Post Number: 5
Dear FryGuy,

I've implemented the bounceless switch that you have described in your document. It works, everything is fine, but I've noticed one problem - sometimes I turn it on, and it doesn't turn on. I mean, I have to unplug the cable and plug it again, and then it works on-off-on-off again. I've used capacitor with value 100nF - that's what they gave me at the electronic shop when I showed them the circuit. The wires to the switch are pretty short - within 5 inches. Maybe I should put capacitor with another value?

Please, help!

Post Number: 6
One more thing - where can I connect a LED so that I know when it's on and off? What specs does it have to have, and do I need a resistor?

Thanks a bunch!

Username: Mtv01

Moline, Il Usa

i am thinking of putting my 2 12" woofers that i have in some home speaker box's that i have. I want to run an amp to them, but i dont know what i need to convert the home power so i can run my 8gauge power wire to the amp. Is there something i can buy to convert this power, tryin to go cheap.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
Well Mike, For you to understand the answer you need some basic knowledge. Ohms law is E=IxR E=voltage,I=current,R=resistance. Wattage=volts x Amps. Your source supply voltage is 12 volts which is 1/10 of what comes out of the wall. Lets say your amp is 120 watts.. This means that your current would be 120/12 or 10 amps. So you can goto your local electronics shop and spend a wad O cash or you can simply duplicate your car. Take a car battery and a booster/charger to keep it charged. Keep in mind that a car battery is really nothing more than a large capacitor in this instance ( techs go easy on that statement..it suffices to explain the point)Car batteries are not designed to be discharged a great deal. Also the current draw from the amp will be affected by how you wire your speakers (4ohm or 8ohm or 2ohm)and the music output. Base thumps can make your lights blink.
Personally I would by a set of computer speakers with a nice sub like Sound works from creative or similar and power the deck from a computer power supply. Your second problem is that speakers have a design concept in mind. They require preasure equalization in both directions. Again this depends on the design of the speaker as to how much or what form produces optimum results. Normally, all speakers for car audio come with a spec sheet that explains this preasure called VAS. This is how techs determine the size of the box, the style of mounting or type of enclosure.
Professional enclosures are made with MDF wood, screwed every 3 inches and glued to keep the box sealed. To give you an idea based on spec... A sony 12" sub at 4 ohms requires aprox 3 cu ft box with a tuned port ( 2" Diameter) tube at about 6 to 8 inches long to produce a tuned frequency near 40 Hz. other wise it will sound like granny on the toilet after speghetti.
If you are interested in learning then read, ask questions and visit an install bay at your local car audio shop..but what ever you do. don't walk blind ..I guarentee you will be disappointed with the result.

Unregistered guest
Germs 24... Your best load source for a computer power supply is a light bulb that operates at 5 volts..not an LED. To really understand..Look at the label on the power supply. It will say 12volts at 5 or 6 amps +- and 5 volts at 1.5 or 2 amps. Now..5 volts x 2 amps = 10 watts. So..your answer is a 5 volt 10 watt light bulb

Unregistered guest
Hey Charlie..The easiest way to get the schematic is to goto the dealer and ask the mechanic to print you the page from the computer data base. Personally many of those cars in that era were enhanced with amps at the speaker. First determine if the car has this. If not, just disconect the negative terminal from the battery. Mak a tester with a 1 1/2 volt battery, and test the wires till you here the speaker pop. This won't hurt the speaker but use a AA battery...nothing larger.
( why the negative terminal.. It forms a good habit. newer cars have computers, decks have security..nuff said.

Unregistered guest
Hey Orlin... Did you solve your noise problem. If not explain what your doing again. Is this a car install or a home install and what equipment are you using

Unregistered guest
I love to share tech. You all have a talented tech in Fryguy and your fortunate as most techs arn't really techs. This is good to see.
Reading the many posts there are a few things or tips I'd like to share. 1)Computer power supplies may require a sence voltage to actually turn on..This is usually the white wire. 2)home devices like VCR's, amps TV's etc all have a factory diode or resister tied between the chasis and the nuetral that can inject noise 3)Most input output devices for home audio can very from 160ua to 240ua. The diferential will cause noise. sellect different manufacturers carefully.
4)cable TV will represent up to a 40 volt AC differential between the ground of the incoming cable and the ground of the device its attached to. use 2 75ohm to 300 ohm cable adapters to isolate the cable ( just wire the 2 300 ohm ends together) 5) 2 audio output transformers wired the same way makes a great RCA to RCA isolator.
6) A cheap 2nd amp wired to take advantage of the hafler effect can make a really shitty stereo system sound a whole lot better. split off the record output of the amp (home system) or use RCA Splitters ( car) to feed the second amp the stereo signal. Take one speaker or 2 wired in series and connect the 2 remaining wires to the positive terminals of the amps outputs. don't use the speaker ground terminals. what you end up with is differential of the stereo signal..sort of like surround. note that a mono input to the 2nd stereo amp will provide no output as the left will cancel the right. 7) When wiring your car audio system,keep all the RCA cables on the oposite side of the car than the battery sits and keep the power cables on the same side as the battery. 8)Don't tie your home stereo cables together with the power cables. Tie the RCA cables in large loops and the power cables in small loops and keep them separated.

skyler
Unregistered guest
Hey I have my old stereo hooked up to my computer in my room and i was wondering if it was possible to hook up my car amp and perfromance 12" sub to it. I have a battery, but i need the wire that connects the amp to the battery.
How would i hook up the amp to the stereo?

needshelp9
Unregistered guest
hey vesarious or fryguy, i know youve heard this already but could you sum it up for me
i have a 240 watt amp, car deck, and two subs and i need to know how to hook it all up to my house amp and get it to work, do i need an ac dc converter or what?
thanks for your help

Username: W00b

ok, im wondering if this product will be good enough for the mod.. http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=29_93&products_id=465&osCsi d=dcbe5687ae0c578051f902ce1a929357
it's an antec truecontrol 550w ATX PSU

Username: W00b

ok just for a test, i got a junk psu and connected the green and black wires, it turned on.. so then i get a lightbulb, i can't seem to get it to even turn on a lightbulb without going out.. i tried yellow and red to the lightbulb and it shorts.. yellow and yellow do nothing, not sure about red and red im about to try that, any tips please tell me

Unregistered guest
First of all you could hook up your computer speaker output to the amp but I would isolate the rca inputs as I mentioned above Its really easy...Just take two 1 to 1 ratio audio transformers and solder rca jacks to both ends...then hotglue the two transformer bodies together for stereo. The computer has a floating output. Power the amp with the power supply listed Dustin mentioned will power the amp to a fair volume with 24 amps of juice. The really loud volumes and heavy base may be too much for it. You may want to consider a battery source as a capacitor and even some real capacitors will help 5000 Mfd electrlytic 200 volt( if you can find them cheap...call a reclamater in your area). I would prefer the battery. Just take a car battery with a cheap booster charger in a RV spare battery box and your stylin...

Unregistered guest
Hey Dustin...Dude...slow down man...GET A METER... Go to Google and search for "Power supply Pinouts...Or Take any computer motherboard manual and look at the pinout for the power molex plug. This will tell you what wires will supply what voltages. Because most power supplies utilise multi taps for different voltage references...Its possible to get some substantial voltages if you connect the wrong combination....SO DON"T DO IT> Some computer power supplies require a sence voltage reference to turn it on
Pin 10 used with any of the grounds will give you 12 volts. grounds are pin 3,5,7,13,15,16,17,. Pin 14 is PS ON and pin 8 is PWRGD. Forgive me saying this but if this information still leaves you confused ...don't use a computer power supply.
Look guys...Sometimes its fun to experiment and I understand that money can be tight...but the best cheap sound system for anything would be a half decent computer speaker system. Try looking at "EDIFIER". This new product line is inexpensive and good for what they are. I can buy there top of the line 6.1 oak finished model for $299 canadian. The Altec Lansing 4 point with sub system is awesome for the 60 dollar cost (canadian) and produces an SPL of almost 90. It will cost you more than that for a decent computer power supply and I guarentee you will shake the hell out of any car with those. If you are a true audio file and come back with the Klipsch rant then you shouldn't be reading any of this anyway...Its the dollar thing. Were trying to do this cheap.

Unregistered guest
For Needshelp9....
Here is the math...240 watts at 12 volts = 240/12 or 20 amps. Now the amp is going to go over that possibly and you want breathing room so lets say 25 amps for comfort. I solidly recomend using RCA islolators to reduce noise. Use the preamp out on your receiver or the record output from the receiver to feed the power amp audio
The battery solution is still the cheapest way to go. If you have the cash and tech knowledge and feel like playing...Goto a reclamater (garbage dump) and look for a large transformer that will solve the problem..bring a meter and check the thing before buying. Build a hefty regulator circuit for it. get a couple of large caps from the same reclamater ( 5000 Mfd 200 volt ) filter the crap out of it.
Downside!!...It will be the size of your lawnmower...
Upside!!.... it will blow the clothes off your girl friend at full volume.
If your not sure how ...ask and I will post a schematic for ya. Actually I can post a schematic for most anything but be nice. Please don't ask for the running schematic of your TV set. I also post interesting howto's on my site at http://www.angelfire.com/film/vesarious/index.htm
goto the tech page section.

Username: Jonah5

NottinghamUk

Hello was just wondering if anyone knew how to connect a car sub to a home tv. My sub is a 900 watt sony xplod and just want to connect it to a phillips 28' tv if it can be done. my email is jonah_stewart69@hotmail.com if anyone can help cheers

Unregistered guest
i have 2 cerwin vega at15 home speakers 2 jvc 15inch floor speakers and 4 q power 18inch studio speakers my goal is to build the larget stereo in the smallest apartment oh i also have 2 pionerr 12 inch stero speakers all are 8 ohm what do i use to power this tower of power

Unregistered guest
Hi, i have asony radio that i just took out of my car, its a sony cassette i put a new one in, i was wonder if theres away to hook up my car radio to house power or a battery via a converter or something, I have the wireing, i was wondering which one is the power cable,i know which ones are the speaker wire, it leaves me with three wires, a black , a red and a yellow wire, my speaker wires are purple and green,

chris23465465
Unregistered guest
do i just need a 12v transformer to power a 400w car amp in my house?
should i put a fuse on it?

Unregistered guest
Okay LoL the same question have been answered a couple of time (right Fry ?)...hehe...so I resume what I understand... I don't want to pi** you off lol

My car amp's fuse is 15A so I get a PC PowerSupply of 12v @ 15A (or two PS of 8A...or 15 PS of 1A...whatev)... I tie all the yellow leads of the PS(PSs?) to the PWR and RMT of the amp and the black ones to the GRN... I link together the 14th & 15th pins of the PS so he will stay on... It's supposed to work. (didn't try it yet, waiting to make sure) Am I right ?

Is there a way to keep the settings of the head unit while shutting down the powersupply to avoid overheating ? Can I put like 2 PS of 10A for a 15A system or something gonna blow ? Can someone send me an email ? lol ! Peace !!

tpot
Unregistered guest
just follow fryguys power supply thing (posted above !). just buy an ATX power supply (i bought a 350Watts for about 20 UK pounds).

you only have to tie 2 wires together, & one or two other things & it worked 1st time.

now iv got 300watts of crystal clear bassline. its truley ridiculous. and the neighbours love it im sure!

anyway ill post the pic when i get a camera.

peaceout.

Steven12391
Unregistered guest
question..i got a pioneer gm-x952 amp and 2 10inch subs...and a car battery..how do i hook this up so that it can play from my computer..i have a phone jack to rca that is imputing sound into the amp. I have the negative and positive hooked up to the leads on the car battery. This gives me power..now one last thing is system control. I put a wire from system control to the negative terminal to get full power. But i still get NO bass or sound out of my subs.....help...?

lofton316
Unregistered guest
Hey tpot, i got a red yellow and black wire, what do i connect these to, the red is the power and the yellow is to, one if for acessary position of a car and the black is negegitive ground, what do i connect the red and yellow to or i just need to use one???????????????????????????

lofton316
Unregistered guest
Using a car battery steve will drain it,look up top of this page and u should see Using_an_ATX_Computer_Power_Supply_to_Make_a_Scalable_Multipurpose_Power_Supply. doc
read that and you can have a continuous power, now for hooking up to the computer u have to be more specific

Unregistered guest
Who said 16 year olds are stupid, well i proved yall wrong, i hooked up my power supply with the radio and works like a charm, thanks t frys packet and my technoknowledge, i just brought a antenna from pep boys for 11.99 a good one to.

Username: Arcadeboy

About the ATX power supplies. They all have on/off switches on the back as well. After we connect the PS_ON and the GRND together, will that switch still work so that I do not have to un-plug the power supply when I am not using it? Also, how much can a power strip handle? Is is ok if I plug in the ATX power supply which is connected to an amp and another atx power supply for a computer in the same strip?

lofton316
Unregistered guest
the switch will still work, but you need ps_on and ground togehter, i have my sony xr-ca330 hooked up, i just click the back of the power supply to turn the radio and the power supply off, Note when you turn off the power supply all memory will reset after 30 seconds. Now the rest of that stuff i dont. What do you mean by strip?

Anonymous

Hey tpot, i got a red yellow and black wire, what do i connect these to, the red is the power and the yellow is to, one if for acessary position of a car and the black is negegitive ground, what do i connect the red and yellow to or i just need to use one???????????????????????????

ATX POWERSUPPLY SETUP AMP AND HU

just buy a fan 80mm or what ever cut the connector off and you should be left with a red yellow and 2 black wires for an amp the yellow wire goes to (power or B+) the red you dont need inless you want to use an actuall switch to control turning it on and off while the computers on the black will go to the ground the other black you wont need next take a like 2-3" piece of wire strip both ends and put one end at power and the other at (remote) this will make it so that every time your computer is turned on the amp will also if you want an actuall switch its a little more difficult yellow to power red connect a 2-3" piece of wire to the end of the red and connect other to the remote reminal there will be a second wire on the switch connect that to power(where the red wire is connected to and black wire to ground

to do a HU there is 4main wires besides speakers
coming from the back of the headunit
Memory / Constant 12V(+) Yellow
Switch / Accessory Red
Ground / Black
amp Remote / Blue
yellow gose to yellow from power supply to HU
red from the HU connects with the two yellow wires
black gose to black
blue you can use to turn on your amp

speakers go to speakers and speaker wires with a black stripe will be -
solid color wires will be +

to add a switch to turn the HU on and off while the computer is on
yellow to yellow and connect one of the two wires coming from the switch together
the second wire coming off the switch connect a
2-3"piece of wire to that second wire then connect the other end of the 2-3"wire to the red wire and the black wire gos to black wire

to use the HU's remote amp (blue wire off the HU)
connect that blue wire to the remote on the amp and they will all be switched on at the same time
using an actuall switch or using just the HU turn on when the comp turns on

im missing my whole english pirod to help you DipSh*t's out
email me if you cant figure this out
damnrusiancommys@netscape.net

shaska
Unregistered guest
Steven12391
this will not work because the car batt will die in about a day there is no alternator recharching the batt as in a car thats why you should just use the computer to run the HU
and to use the RCA's there should be two sets of red and white theres an input and an output set
to plug these subs into your soundcard after getting the power and what not to the amp figured out you need to plug the RCA's from the soundcard to the input on your amp

shaska
Unregistered guest
Steven12391
this will not work because the car batt will die in about a day there is no alternator recharching the batt as in a car thats why you should just use the computer to run the HU
and to use the RCA's there should be two sets of red and white theres an input and an output set
to plug these subs into your soundcard after getting the power and what not to the amp figured out you need to plug the RCA's from the soundcard to the input on your amp

lofton316
Unregistered guest
you didnt need to ditch to help me becausei figured it out a week ago but thanks anyway

lofton316
Unregistered guest
you didnt need to ditch to help me becausei figured it out a week ago but thanks anyway dipshit

Anonymous

this is a dumb question but i don't care......Do you have to disconnect the battery when puttin a stereo in a car?

lofton316
Unregistered guest
lol no, not nessecarily but discontect the negative ground for safty read this diagram http://www.xmradio.com/manuals/xr_ca330_install.pdf
it shows you what to hook up and what to do, its not dumb to be safe

Username: Arcadeboy

Ok, after removing the unnecessary wires from the psu board, what is the best way to connect all the yellow wires from the same psu? is it easy to just cross the lines and twist them? also, if i want to put them all into 1 wire to power an amp, what kind of wire should i use, is there a certain thickness that would be best to connect to the amp?

smoke1
Unregistered guest
For those who would like to use a power converter to power your CD player and amp for subs I think that I would go with Pyramid 17-amp converter. 17-amp continuous output with a 20-amp surge with a built in cooling fan for $110.95
from JC Whitney. Item # 38SB3682Y. I would put a fuse link in the power wire of your CD deck, your amps power wire should already have one. It may work and it may not. Maybe some of you who know more about electronics than I do have something else in mind.

Anonymous

I'm trying to hook up my sony receiver to my motorcycle and when i turn it up the unit kicks the sound off. I did do something kind of "iffi" by connecting the red main power wire to a very small guage red lead that turns on when the bike key is turned on ...
Would a direct connection or larger guage line connected to the battery give my amp more juice so that it might not kick off?

Unregistered guest
For Sale: 2005 Planet Audio Class D monoblock audiophile power amp (for driving subwoofers). It is 600watts/Channel, and two ohm stable. Has remote Bass adjustment, low pass filter, subsonic filter - both 24DB octave slope, bass boost, etc (the list goes on and on). Amp rated 100DB and comes with it's own "Birth Certificate" of performance. Still have box and is under warranty for quite a while. Also have FOUR 10" one month old Street Edge subs in two separate boxes that are 8 Ohms each. With all four wired parallel the amp operates at 2 ohms and delivers the most power. I am selling these as a whole or just speakers/amp (depending on what you already have). I am upgrading system to four 15"s so this stuff obviously needs to go. It is all hooked up still so you can hear it before you buy it..that is, of course, unless someone buys the amp first. Email me for more specs or with any questions. The amp new was 314.96. will take 200 for whole thing (amp + all four subs), including wiring. iomega@grm.net

Anonymous

where does the ground wire go?

Anonymous

for sale: two 15 inch audiobahn subwoofers.

Lofton316
Unregistered guest
To another ground wire!!!!!! are you using the power supply? if you are tie the ground wire from your unit to the hdunit

Username: Dteam10

I recently purchased an 04 pontiac sunfire. The radio is a factory Delphi CD/MP3 player. I need to find a way to hook up my 2 12" subs and amp to the factory radio but i can seem to find the remote wire or the +/-output plugs on the radio that go directly to the amp. If anyone knows about this please talk to me.

AudioFreq
Unregistered guest
Yes.. I REKON you could try to get audio off a ganged pair of ATX's for maby 700-1200 watts... That will 'nearly' run my mono block tube amps for the mids and highs. Sigh..

Could just do the easy thing and get a Deltek 3300 watt UPS like I did. ☺
I got it CHEEP from a salvage place in KCMO.
Has dual 60 volt rails (12V x 5 x two)for the powersupply. All ten batteries were fine.

Problem solved!

http://www.allexperts.com/displayexpert.asp?Expert=62518

AudioFreq
Unregistered guest
BTW..
16 year olds are not stupid, just ignorant of many terms and physics laws. I started out in 1977 at 17 years old doing tuffted rear decks ect... gotta start somewhere.
At least you all have the WWW to help :-)

Unregistered guest
hi,: interesting page. i have a teac amp lying useless for a long time now.....decided to hook it up to my pc.....needed a pair of speakers though......can i attach some good quality car speakers to my pc via amp? theyll ofcourse be enclosed in a box....i have only the onboard sound on my pc(no extra/ addl sound card)....my cptr room is 12x10 ft...each (car spkr that im intersted in) has a couple of tweeters, a midrange and a sub. how to go about it? how to match the impedence?; if theres a need to...any coments/ suggestions?

Anonymous

Hi there i have a panasonic mini stereo ac~ 120v 145w 60 hz and i want to know if i could hook-up a 12"JL audio sub to it? .. if so how . could you help me please, that would be great. i am new to this stuff in wiring car audio to home stereo equipment. so some help would be great..

Jumba
Unregistered guest
Here's a question I've read the whole thread and I haven't seen it been tackled yet.

Is there a way to transfer power from one rail to another in an atx psu? Probably can't be done but I just want to make sure

Thx

Unregistered guest
i have an audiobaun amp that has four blown resisters. where can i find replacement resisters, and fix them?

Username: Pimpzeus

United States

email me at rebelguy75@yahoo.com and i will tell u anything u want to know about hooking up a car amp to a home stereo

Unregistered guest
i want a loud sound system for inside my house for parties n stuff like that and i dont wanna buy a big expensive thing kors i am tight in the money department. i was listening to my stereo in my car and realised that is has good/loud sond. i was wondering if there is any way to hook up a car cd player, 1000w amp, 4 200w speakers and a 12" sub(1000w)for a standard battery connection to a 240v power outlet plug without blowing up the items i listed above(sound equipment). please send DETAILED responses to cozzie49@hotmail.com as i do not use this site much. much appreciated

Username: Soccerush10

I want to know if hooking up a speaker capable of 160 watts onto an amp channell capable of 300 RMS Watts will blow the speaker.

Username: Mules4you

If you under power the amplifier it burns up.
Why? Because amost all amplifiers (esp on cars) Have Voltage Regulators and when the voltage drops or becomes to high the voltage regulators burn up, and after they burn up If your lucky it will cut the power to the rest of the amp (but haft of you dont understand how to fix this anyhow) But if your an unlucky Fu*k, It will short out and fry the rest of the amplifier and even what is sending the singal to the amp (tv, preamp ect

For powering the amplifier You need to be VERY careful. Strange Sh*t happens when you move something from battery to running on AC or the other way around, Mostly from grounding Aslo Try to get a power supply that says its Isolated or filtered or both I can build a simple AC to DC converter for 10 bucks that will handle 300 Watts but that dosent mean it would run your amp, Probably burn it up. because It wouldnt be filtered and would still have AC left in it. Batteries are the BEST filter, they wipe out 98% of Line noise (if they're hooked properly) AND

"I want to know if hooking up a speaker capable of 160 watts onto an amp channell capable of 300 RMS Watts will blow the speaker."

Tell me the Voltage of the ouput of the amplifier and the Impendence of the speaker and I can answer that question

I'm not sure about the output voltage of the amp, i think it can be varied between 6 and .02 Volts. Here is the amp i bought from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950%26item%3D5777284305& tc=photo
The impedence of the two speakers is 6 ohms each.

The hyperlink for the amp I bought didn't show up in the last post, here is the model: Volfenhag ZX-8300
4-Channel 1200 watts peak.

Fryguy - I read that word file on how to make a scalable power source out of an ATX computer power source, but im still not sure on how I would hook up a single 680 Watt ATX power source to a 1200 Watt car amplifier for use in my house. What do I do with the 5 and 3.3 volt wires? I dont wana mess it up so please help me out.

Unregistered guest
i was thinking of using a electric motor to drive an altenator so i could hook up a complete car audio system up inside my house.
any comments on this would be greatley healpful.

Unregistered guest
Did fryguy ever come back?????

Superman34
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know what the least amount of amprige I can use to run a car cd player. I want to run the CD player in my house and was wondering if 12V 1Amp power supply would be enough. I tried 300ma and it would run the radio and lights but kept trying to turn of when i wanted to run a CD. plus the power supply was getting pretty hot.

Anonymous

I need help on hooking up an scosche 550 watts amplifer to a 120 volts outlit. im am new to this type of thing thanx

Jason Mantey
Unregistered guest
Here is a question that I think will help many people out (including myself). About how many watts/amps are used in various parts of the audio system for reasonable volumes? For example, a chart like this:

CD Player: ~2A (my guess?)
Speakers (w/out amp): ~4A (max)each (my guess - 50Wrms/12v?)
Amplifier: = #watts/12v
sub: = #watts/12

The reason I ask is this: I can get a 12V Power supply for $40 (Pyramid PS-14KX -- 13.8V@12A(cts), 14A(max)) Or I can get a 4-500W atx power supply for $30ish (USD). I dont have access to a ammeter on my multimeter. I need to know how much current I will be drawing in total. I think if someone could answer this question, A great deal of people *should* understand without asking short redundant questions.

Another quick question. I know that most automotive 12V PSUs run ~13.8V. Is the same true for computers? If not, a 13.8V psu might be better than a atx 12v. Thanks for any responses. If you need clarification, just ask.

Jason

Stonecoldold
Unregistered guest
Hey I have got a 800 wat amp and I want to hook it up to my home stereo so if I buy a Converter 24V DC to 12V DC will it work it should shouldn't it.

converts 24 volts to 12 volts DC with a 25-amp surge. Output of 13.8 volts at 20 amps DC continuously (25 amps surge rating) from a 24-volt supply.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42a231910e38d020273fc0a87f99071e/Pro duct/View/M9814 to check a pic of the converter.

pk _ Ireland
Unregistered guest
i want a loud sound system for inside my house for parties n stuff like that and i dont wanna buy a big expensive thing kors i am tight in the money department. i was listening to my stereo in my car and realised that is has good/loud sond. i was wondering if there is any way to hook up a car cd player, 1000w amp, 4 200w speakers and a 12" sub(1000w)for a standard battery connection to a 240v power outlet plug without blowing up the items i listed above(sound equipment). please send DETAILED responses to philip_kirwan@hotmail.com as i do not use this site much. much appreciated

Username: Electros

I want to install an outdoor 12 volt marine use stereo system that puts out a total of 180 watts or 4 x 45 watts each per speaker to an outdoor patio use-I know I can get a 12 volt to 120 volt convertor but I want to use my existing Bose outodoor environmental speakers which take like 100 amps each I beleive and are 8ohms I think -and they are home stereo use I just need to know what amp or whatever is needed to do this

super bass
Unregistered guest
i have a pheonix gold amp and it keeps going into protection mode. i hooked up alot of systems before but never had this problem before. i hooked every thing up on the amp right to, when i hook up my mobile authority amp it works but the pheonix gold one keeps going into protection mode. i took it to this one car audio place and it took them bout a hour and a half to get it working, it worked for a day then i turned a corner to fast and then my ground cable came out then i turned off my car and hooked the ground back up and turned my car back on then it start going into protection mode agian. how do i get it to stop going into protection mode? plz help me out

super bass
Unregistered guest
i have a pheonix gold amp and it keeps going into protection mode. i hooked up alot of systems before but never had this problem before. i hooked every thing up on the amp right to, when i hook up my mobile authority amp it works but the pheonix gold one keeps going into protection mode. i took it to this one car audio place and it took them bout a hour and a half to get it working, it worked for a day then i turned a corner to fast and then my ground cable came out then i turned off my car and hooked the ground back up and turned my car back on then it start going into protection mode agian. how do i get it to stop going into protection mode? plz help me out

extreme audio
Unregistered guest
i have a pheonix gold amp and it keeps going into protection mode. i hooked up alot of systems before but never had this problem before. i hooked every thing up on the amp right to, when i hook up my mobile authority amp it works but the pheonix gold one keeps going into protection mode. i took it to this one car audio place and it took them bout a hour and a half to get it working, it worked for a day then i turned a corner to fast and then my ground cable came out then i turned off my car and hooked the ground back up and turned my car back on then it start going into protection mode agian. how do i get it to stop going into protection mode? plz help me out thanks

Unregistered guest
uhm. yeah this is REALLY stupid question, but i just built a box for my subs and i have an amp and a car, so now wat do i do, put the box in the car next to the amp and wait for it to magically connect together and start playing? help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please send me an email, eaggy3rd@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
hi, ummm... ok, I got a Sony Xplod head deck, 1400w Boss Audio Ripper sub, and a 3200w Boss Lightening Audio amp. Whenever I hook 1 set of RCA's up to the amp, it's ok, when I hook the other set up for my 6x9'z u can hear car noise coming through the speakers. When I put 1 set of RCA's in half way (just enuff to sit there), the noise gets much quieter but can still hear a faint sound of car noise. Dunno if amp is faulty somehow or if iv'e hooked it up wrong or HD is faulty. Please help as the dude across the road is pissin me off so Help would be much appreciated plz...Thanks anyone...

ggggg-unit
Unregistered guest
wats good, heres my question.....i got a kenwood excelon mono amp 1600watts....and i jus bought two alpine 12inch swx1242d subwoofers 3000watts and a red top optima battery for the system...can my mono amp power my two subs to its max potential??? or do i have to get another amp?...thanks....peace

Unregistered guest
Someone please reply to this...

I have a JVC shelf system, like a home stereo or whatever...I was wondering, can I buy subwoofers that are made for cars, the kind that already have a box, and hook them up to my home stereo? that would be awesome to have subs for a car in my room. please reaply asap and if its possible could i have some simple instructions :D

Pease HELP
Unregistered guest
Alright i kno many of my questions have been asked and answered before but i am really confused because i have heard a lot of different stuff from different people and i am tired of looking at my Alpine Type-E Subs and my Kenwood KAC-746 Amp Sit in my room not doing anything.

I need a power supply and a way to hook up the amp to my home stereo without blowing it. my reciever puts out 100w per channel and my sub can only handle a max of 25w(the max output for most car stereos) per channel

if someone can just post a link to a website with directions it would be greatly appreciated and pictures would help too

HELP ME PLZ
Unregistered guest
hey guys... i have a problem. Just finished hooking up a SUB and an AMP in my car (sub works and all) BUT!! my car has a stock AMP or something and when i try and turn it up loud, the stock speakers try and make bass and i dont want to turn the bass down because i want the SUB to BOOOM!!!! but when i make it BOOM it makes the stock speakers sound REALLY bad, and the stock speakers try and make bass PLZZZZ i neeed suggestions

Thanks for your help
Steve :-)

Username: Olo

Toronto, ON Canada

Help me PLZ:
Asked
hey guys... i have a problem. Just finished hooking up a SUB and an AMP in my car (sub works and all) BUT!! my car has a stock AMP or something and when i try and turn it up loud, the stock speakers try and make bass and i dont want to turn the bass down because i want the SUB to BOOOM!!!! but when i make it BOOM it makes the stock speakers sound REALLY bad, and the stock speakers try and make bass PLZZZZ i neeed suggestions

Your least expensive route would be to install bass blockers on your factory speakers. They can be had at www.crutchfield.com or http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=48&Object Group_ID=195&filter=stopper

What bass blockers do? It's what it sounds like, they block bass from your speakers. You will have a choice of when you want to block bass or more correctly at what frequency (Hz). Parts express has bass stoppers(bass blockers) that start at 300/150 Hz. This spec pertains to speaker impedence. If the speaker is 8 ohms the bass is stopped at 150 Hz 4ohms then 300 Hz.

They have to be installed inline on the positive side of each factory speaker.

A point I should make is bass energy starting at 20Hz upto 2000Hz is non directional and in my opinion is useless in anything smaller then 8" speaker but most speakers as small as 4" can produce a modest amount of bass even at 50 Hz. I would recommend blocking as much bass and upper mid bass from your factory speakers. Parts Express have a model thats 1.2KHz@ 8ohms and 600Hz @ 4ohms, this is where I would cut off my factory speakers if I had the same problem.

1) cause most factory speakers are anything but 4ohms. They can be anywhere from 6-16ohms, using a multimeter is usually the only way to determine Factory or oem speakers impedence. The impedence will determine the actual cut off frequency. Take the 600@4ohms spec as a reference. Eg: If your factory speakers are say like General Motors usual spec of 10ohms, then your cut off frequency will be far closer to the 1.2KHz@8ohms, so lets say 1.4KHz.

2) If you don't want to degrade and colour your sound with crackling speakers block the bass as much as you can and let the mids and Highs come from your factory speakers. This will also greatly relieve stress and heat from your factory amp(s). Until you can afford or want to upgrade them for some dedicated component speakers and amp(s). " Like a 6.5" speaker and a dash mounted Tweeter for the Highs with crossover... " but thats beyond the scope of your question and my dream not yours.LOL

It is normal for home speakers and car amp makers to use a crossover to stop bass from getting to the smaller speakers. A cross over won't help you with your factory amp and speakers unless you can wire it in either with RCA jacks or know where the outputs are to the speakers under the dash.

The bass Stoppers at Parts Express are a mere $2.95US. No worries if you live in Canada or elsewhere in the world and don't posses a Visa/Mastercard or other credit card look for your local car stereo install shop. Then they should have some or be able to order you some, albiet it will probably cost you a few bucks more.

OLO

Cmdr Gonzo
Unregistered guest
This may be off topic or already addressed, but I'll take the chance....I'm getting ready for RockFest (www.rock-fest.com) and am thinking about our upgrading our campsite sound from a boom box to my old college (now the garage) stereo. My plan would be to use a marine battery with a 110 converter through a cigarette lighter plug w/ a 15A in-line fuse. This is NOT a high-powered unit by any means, btw - a very basic ol' technics receiver. I'm assuming this is a viable plan. My dilemma is this - how long should I reasonably expect to be able to run it w/o a recharge? I'm figuring I can fire up the truck and charge the battery if/when it goes low. Any advice/input is welcome.

Cmdr Gonzo

Andro
Unregistered guest
Hello, i recently aquired two Sony Xplod subs from a freind for cheap brand new though, and i was curious what i would need connect them to my car properly and to work the best and without destroying any components of my car, the specs on the subs are as follows:

1300w Max Power

4 ohm Voice Coil

Spiral Cone

Heavy Duty Rubber Surround

Super Rigid Polypropylene Cone

Gold Plated Terminal Post

Dual Spiders

4 Layer Voice Coil

12 inch diameter

RMS Wattage: 760

i have the stero and new speakers in the car already, 2 6 1/2's and 2 6x9's both sony xplods i need an amp that would power but not blow the subs and any other equipment that would be associated with it. any help would be much appreciated.

Unregistered guest
I have a 4-channel 1200 watt automotive amplifier with all the features that I would like to use to power three 12 inch pioneer premier subwoofers placed in a single enclosure. Could somone please provide me with a diagram for properly hooking up the subs or at the least a written how to? I also have a two channel 800 watt amp at my disposal.

Unregistered guest
Hey I just want to know how to hook a panasonic cd player to a 300 watt jensen car amp to a legacy 350 watt sub PLEASE E-mail me at ussthree1@aol.com PLEASE!!!!!!!

Cambo
Unregistered guest
I'ts me again. I figured out how to connect the signal wires to the amp and the amp to the sub, but I'm confused about powering the amp. I got a small wire leading from the +12v to the remote, and I know to put the negative in the ground but when i put power to it, the amp never turned on! What's up? And Fryguy said in another forum that your power converter must be a Input:120vac Output:12vdc power converter and must have the right amperage for your amp. You get the amperage from the fuse next to the +12v on the amp. The amperage my amp needs is 20, and you cant buy a Input: 120vac Output: 12vdc 20amp power converter, so what the HECK am I supposed to do? Please help E-mail me at ussthree1@aol.com or camcancu107@aol.com

cambo
Unregistered guest
Ok now i just need help powering the sub. E-mail to:ussthree1@aol.com or IM me.

cambo
Unregistered guest
oops scratch that right above.

montie
Unregistered guest
im bout to buy one of those 20 dollars 300 watt stereo things and i was wanting to hook it up to my jvc house radio its 360 watts what do i have to do to do this.

ineedhelpplease
Unregistered guest
hello,
i have a T3202 total mobile audio amplifier. i have it hooked up right and everything but when i turn on my system, the protect light turns on instead of the power one. what could be some of my problems? please help?

Unregistered guest
Hello
I have a Kenwood KAC-8101d 1000w Mono Amp. hooked up to a 14V power supply, which is hooked up to my 2 12 Inch JL W7, And my sony PSP, This thing bumps hard.Just like my car. But one day it stoped working, I checked the fuse, But its not blown,the power supply is still good What could be the problem?

Unregistered guest
Hello, I have seen your previous posts about using PSU's to power car audio. I tried to do the same, but when I connect the green psu_on wire to the ground, the fan gets momentary power, then nothing. Any suggestions?

Username: Pricey1985

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 7
Hey All,
What im thinking of doing it building a computer and putting it in my car in which i can store thousands of songs on the hard drive. Has anyone done this and if so what is the sound quality, do you need a high quality sound card or does the average one work ok. I will be running the audio from the computer in to several amps. Any Suggestions would be Appreciated......Cheers

Username: Pricey1985

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 8
sorry all this was ment to be posted in car audio

this guy
Unregistered guest
hi is it possable to hook up a car head unit to my home wiring?

beetleman
Unregistered guest
hey im confused...when amp companies, such as rockford fosgate are talking about there wattage on there amps why do you get more power with the ohms?....50 W x 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS
100 W x 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS
200 W x 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS K i get the bridged part but the ohms? how do I run my amp on a lower ohm to get more power?

JohnnyJ
Unregistered guest
I have been researching about supplying power to a car amplifier in a house for almost a week non-stop now, but still I haven't been able to obtain the information I seek.

I recently bought a Pioneer TS-W5000SPL subwoofer (full specifications: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=3469&taxonomy_id=25-13 0) and a Pioneer PRS-D5000SPL amplifier (full specifications: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_print.jsp?product_id=9489).

The subwoofer handles maximum 5000watt/2000rms. The amplifier handles 3000watt/1500rms maximum. The amplifier (the sub also) has awesome technology, performance and features, if you would like (or need) more information, visit the specifications.

Anyway, my question:
How can I power this amplifier through a normal house wall electricity outlet? I have read about PSU/s from PC's, car batteries even using a UPS. I know that PC PSU's cannot supply the amps I need for this amplifier... I don't want to limit my amplifier/subwoofer, never mind as much as this would cause it to under perform.

What is the best way to power this amplifier in my bedroom? My goal is to have some speakers and the subwoofer running off my amplifier, with a car head unit controlling the sound - in my bedroom, through a standard house wall electricity outlet. All this WITHOUT under powering my amplifier too much, if only powering it at 3/4 of it's full capability that's okay, but preferably not - and DEFINITELY nothing less than 3/4. Will it even function correctly and be stable, or will it overheat or blow up or something if I don't supply efficient power (amps.. whatever) to it?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help!

Unregistered guest
hi iam having alot of troubl hooking up a stereo to my 1995 ford explorer i can get power to my stereo but no sound everyone said we have to bypass the internal amp but we have tried and nothing has worked now the guy that did it crossed stuffout so now my gauges don't what now?

UselessSparky
Unregistered guest
Hi. I have a 250 sony expold amp and am trying to use my Mini disc as the input in my friends car for a ski trip. the MD is jacked up right, the power's fine, the groundings sweet, but the REM isnt being used and nothing is coming out of the speakers. i tried linking a wire from the REM to the +12 but nothings going on. any suggestions or am i dreaming?

Unregistered guest
hi, my brother is trying to hook up his subwoofers in his car and he put a new cd player in it and the sound wont work with the new cd player but it works with the old cd player when thats hooked up what could be causing the sound from not coming out of the subs? please email me as soon as possible at Jasnhau@aol.com

@@help me@@
Unregistered guest
hi again! my brother is trying to hook up a new cd player in a car that had a older one in it already and the sound is barly coming out of his subwoofers what can be the problem email me at jasnhau@aol.com asap! thanks

Unregistered guest
hey guys.
i recently crashed my damn car, just cliped someone infront and eversince my rear speakers have been making a loud humming noise when evere i turn on the cd player or radio. it sems to be in sync with the gear changing and revs on the car. any ideas what it could be?

Unregistered guest
hey. I have a Pioneer DEH-10 car sterio. I would like to know who to power the sterio in my house. Iwould also like to know how to make it work on my reciever. I want to use it as a cd player on my home reciever. How could i make this work?

Username: Texasholdemkid

why?

Username: Texasholdemkid

can it actually be done?

spencer17
Unregistered guest
i have a 220 watt jensen ampthat i want to hook up to my 2 6x9 and 2 6x5 in my car . would i hook it up like a regular amp and how do i attach the speaker wires to the speakers them selfs

GrandMasterB
Unregistered guest
well let me tell you first off you need to open up a old computer power suppy cut out all the wires find the resisters marked ac 1.7 or adc 5.7 hook up the power from one to the other in my experience i have found that by using2 power supplies, you can run more power and bye increasing the power output you can increase the speaker load. In my setup i am running the dual power supply setup, my kenwood 800watt amp, my kenwood deck, and my 2 1000 watt volfenhag zx-4712 dvx. even though i found this to be the best setup . i did try to rig up a car battery along with an alternator ran by an electric motor that was used for a grinder in my garage. the setup with this method was close to the setup from my car. th only problem wiht this method is that the amp kept overheating and blowing fuses. when this setup did work it did work great. I however reccomend the dual power supply method as described above. if you need more info you can contact me directly at dannybuck2001@yahoo.com

Username: Buccp

I HAVE A PANASONIC 5 CD CHANGER STEREO SYSTEM AND WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS A WAY I COULD HOOK AN AMP TO MY AMERICAN BASS 15 ITS ABOUT 200 WATTS RMS AND WAS JUST LOOKING FOR THE PROPER SETUP IN INSTALLING SUCH A THING. APPPRECIATE IT.

Username: Gregp

i know u said this before but im still confused on how to hook up a car amp to a tv inside i have a 160 watt amp and a 8 inch base tube, and a 20 watt per channel amp i think, and some stero speakers and also a 10 inch 400 watt sub, that i will hook up later if that 20 watt per channel amp isnt big enough. how do i get the 12v out of the wall, and what do u do with the remote. thanx hope someone knows

Unregistered guest
ok whats up guys... i have a 1200 watt amp and an older pc power supply unit. now i can get it to come on and kick a little bit, but not loud and not for long. is this because the power supply is too small or what is my problem i guess is what i am asking...

Bronze Member
Username: Ww_dagger

Vancouver, WA USA

Post Number: 15
********************************************************************************
OK, do you want a real live, picture proven, working example of what to do?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/168117.html

/GG
********************************************************************************

geraint
Unregistered guest
hi can you help me if poss i need to no how to connect a car amp to my home system cos i want dolby. cos on the back of my hi fi i only got 1 aux and on my anp i need 2 going in top spk and bootem sub if you can hel me tha would be grate .....

GrandMasterB
Unregistered guest
my friend seen my setup and wanted me to help him set one up in his camper so i asked him what he had turned out he had an out ac dc converter that looked like it was from the 60s he said it didnt work so i went over there and took it apart on the dc side the wires were burned out so i took it back to my lab took all the panels off and resoder some new wires to a kenwood 1000watt amp i hooked it up to a pair of volfenhag zx-4712 dvx12s this system bumps very very loud hes very happy with the end results he bumps this system all night and day with no problems

Unregistered guest
okay i have a serious and sad problem:-( i just went out today and bought myself a rockford fosgate 200watt punch mono amp, and within 20 minutes i blew it! heres the story, i took the ground and the positive and hooked it up properly to the battery But, i took the start up wire or the wire thats just ment to have a sudden shock of power to start the amp and i stupily took it and put to te positive pole on the battery so it had constant power. and there for screwed up the amp, now im wondering if this is internal or if this can be fixed by maybe a fuse or a restart button? neither of which i can find anywhere on the amp, if someone could tell me where the fuse is on this particular amp and tell me how much i screwed this thing up, and i know there are some smart genuses in here if anybody knows what i did to this thing and they think they know what could be wrong that would be a great great help...PLEASE ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE EXTREAMLY APPRIECIATED!

Username: Cia24

Watterloo, Ia Usa

i got a sony eplod 1200 watt 2 channle brigegate amp and 2 sony explod 1300 watt 12's i would like to hook these up in the house iv been trying a battery charger for the power it isnt working some one plz help me figure this out so i can boom like you guys

GrandMasterB
Unregistered guest
depening on what youre using to play the musiz u need a remote wire to turn on the amp and rca connection to push the signal into the amp

Unregistered guest
Hi. im new to sub systems. I just purchased a kicker sub (Solo-Baric L7) and a a kicker amp (KX6504.2). I hooked them up and everything ran fine till the amp started overheating like crazy.Its even hotter on the bottom. I could frie an egg on it. Everything is clear of the fans so I really don't understand what the problem could be. I bridged the amp so ist shouldn't be overworking for the sub. If anybody could help me I would appreciate it.

Unregistered guest
I'm looking to use some car stereo speakers with a home receiver. Is there anything I need to do to account for the ohms difference

Anonymous

yo wussup....i got 2 12's...phoenix digital 1000 watts...should i get tha sony xplod 1200 watt amp or a diff. one?

Unregistered guest
hey I have a Mobil Authority Thump Amp 700 watts. Im hooking it up to my Home theater system because I bought a car subwoofer that is also 700 watts. Do I hook up the Remote wire to the power so the amp turns on or put the remote wire in the back of a speaker hook up in the reciever?

Unregistered guest
Hi, I am woundering how i can get my home sterio system its a SONY 100*7 Which is 700WATTS it is a recevier AM/FM model STR-DE697 and Put a Car amp which is DC from WALL-MART its 250watts how can i make that amp work for my two 12INCH kickers.HELP WOULD BE VERY NICE. And another thing I have a Active Subwoofer its a sony SA-WM250 its AC 120V 60 Hz and the model number is 8831458 I really need to know where i can find the exact FUSE for it i got the number its a 125Volts 2.5Amps none less or more it has to be exact and find a store besides Radioshack they dont have them and its in Lancaster PA where I need to find the store . I thank you for reading Please help

Unregistered guest
I was recently doing some work on my car system however while I was doing the work the 12v and the ground ends of the cable touched, the result was a big spark. The fuse is not blown and niether are any of the car fuses. At the time that this happened my amp was not in any way hooked up to any power. I have run this amp in another vehicle to make sure that it is fine. I have used a voltmeter to test for any power going through but I found there to be none. This one has me completely confused because nothing seems to be broke, there just isnt any juice

Unregistered guest
i have a sansui cd player, dvd player that came with 2 speakers and a subwoofer. but over time the sub is sounding awful and id like to know if you can connect a 12 inch sub in box to the dvd player using the 2 cables that connected into the subwoofer that came with dvd player is this possible without any amps thanks

beetleman
Unregistered guest
hey i got a rockford fosgate 200m mono amp 200 watts. I want to hook it to my home stereo. im running the amp off a battery now what i need to know is where do i hook up the remote wire to??? and where do i get my signal wires from??? or do i use the speaker wires from my house amp and splice into them and hook it to my amps alternate speaker imput wires vrs the imput left right rca plugs??? can somebody please help me! i have a party this tuesday its gonna be hooked up for so i need it asap!!!

Anonymous

Can anyone help me out please, i HAVE JUST BOUGHT A Dvd recorder and just don't know where to start, how do I hook up to my TV, Video and freeserve box, sOI can record from tv or, box, to my dvd. also anyway I can transfer my old VHS to dvd. MY TV HAS 2 SCART SOCKETS BUT BOTH ARE IN USE.

Unregistered guest
hi im from new zealand...im wondering if this 350watt atx power supply does work? if it does, is available in the net, im lookin for power supply of 12volts and 50amps. if you know of any power suplly that will fulfill this criteria please my email is shivamdahya@hotmail.com

Username: Mikes777

Canon City, CO USA

alright so i have 2 Kicker KX amps, a 200.2 and a 250.2 and i was wondering how to correctly wire them to 2 subs, i have a kicker CVR 12 and a Punch P2 12. what i did was run 1 RCA to the larger Kicker from the deck and grounded it and all and then i ran a 3 foot RCA from the output of the larger amp to the input of the smaller amp and ran a remote wire from amp to amp. i have the correct wire kit with the power wire splitter. it works fine but i was wondering about how i did it, please respond thanks

JohnDamian
Unregistered guest
I have a Rockford Fosgate 800.4 (4x100rms). I hooked it up to (2) 12" Pioneer IMPP subs. I have them in my room, and they will make the whole house shake. All you have to do is go to Kmart, and buy a battery jumper/power source. Run your power/remote wire from your amp to your positive on the jumper, and run your ground from your amp to the negitive on the jumper. Then run your RCA cable from your stereo to your amp , and now your ready to Booooooom!

photn
Unregistered guest
hi, i have a stock car stereo with no RCA outputs, i already have a clarion pro audio series sub 12", and a schnieder 2 channel 500W amp, now i knowthat it wont work without RCA out put, but if i get a dvd player or a cd player with RCA out puts on them, connect it up to my amp, then get a FM transmitter and connect it in the head phone jack port, will that work, and yer i know that i will only work off the dvd player, but i willalso soon put a screen in, what i need to know is will the dvd player with the RCA outputs get the sub going normally, or am i just wasteing time??????

JohnDamian
Unregistered guest
Dear photn,

All you have to do is plug your RCA's at one end to your amp, and then at your stereo end just cut your RCA plugs off. Then wire your RCA cord up to your L or R front or L or R Rear speaker wire coming out of your stereo. It's just that simple.

Anonymous

hi i have a legacy800 4series amp i have a alpnie stereo with a seprate woofer rca now when i amp up my rear speakers on channel1and2 they runn perfect but when i put on the woofer on channel3and4 with the speakers running it doesnt sound good at all when i turn up the volume on half the box completly drops power and the speakers gain more power but im sure they should both get louder at the same time but they wont can some 1 help me and tell me where im going wrong thx

photn
Unregistered guest
Dear John Dammian

thanks for the info, but what about the sub trying to play trebble, will that happen or will it just play bass,

thanks again

Unregistered guest
how to connect a car amplifier at home

SONY XPLOD xm2200gtx

Unregistered guest
I have a Concept CC-D800A amplifier which is supposed to put out 800 watts x 1 channel at 1 ohm. I have 2 Pioneer DVC 12" subs hooked to it bringing that 1 ohm. With the amp gain all the way turned down I can still trip the protection circut to on. My stereo is a Pioneer DEH-9600mp. Why is my amp tripping when it is barely turned up.

Unregistered guest
Hello i have an car amp and two 10in subs,i used to have them in my car, but i dont use them any more and im wonding what i can do with it now that i took it out of my car? any suggestions, and then how would i go about doing your suggestion. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 110
This shyt is so phuckin easy

tarzanman
Unregistered guest
Well than andre jamison, what should i do with it, and how would i go about doing that...thanks

Silver Member
Username: Efil4zaggin

Chi Town, IL Cook

Post Number: 113
Take the yellow and black wires on the psu connect the yellow to the B+, the black 2 the ground connection, and for the signal wire U could use the red or orange wires, but the easiest way is to take a small wire and run it 4um the yelllow wire to the REM terminal on your amp. Connect some RCA's from a srereo or home theater and hook up the subs and enjoy......Oh yah don't 4get if the amps max wattage exceeds the PSU it will go into protection mode and it may get your house wiring fucked up.

jjjetplane
Unregistered guest
ok so i have an amp, 4 speakers, a cd deck and a sub that i basically want to set up in an enclosure on their own that i can wheel around places with a battery or two in there. i'm totally new at anything like this so that's why i'm here. first of all is it possible without getting extremely excessive. like does the cd deck run at 12.6 volts like a battery?

Username: Hockeyman99j

Ok i have a rockford fosgate 900 watt amp and two 10" phase one rockford fosgate subs... i want to connect them to my home stereo system.. how would i go about doing that, and what equiptment/stuff do i need to do it? thanks in advance

hi can u help
Unregistered guest
hi i have a problem i have 1200 watts kicker amp and a kenwood 12inch subwoofer but when i plug the ground loop isolator into the back or the head unit or into the amp it stops the sub working how can i fix this i need the ground loop isolator because of the humming noise and i have the humming noise even tho i have the cables on opposite sides of the car what can i do plz i need help

Caleb Shukis
Unregistered guest
Hey, I have a question... I've got two 12" Pioneer subs with an 800 monoset AMP in my car. Now, I don't know anything about hooking them up to my home theatre, which is what I want to do... I've got a Sony surround system of 600 watts, with a self amplified sub of 100 watts. For shits and giggles I got myself a Dual Brand 10" Subwoofer of 450 Watts off of ebay for extremely cheap, I got it cheaper as it's an older model. What do I need to do to hook it up to get decent sound quality out of the sub? The RMS Wattage of the sub is 150 with a single voice coil, so I won't need a very large amp, just something small to run it... Oh, and it runs at 4 ohms. I'm not big on speakers and subs... but what would it sound like if i just wired the sub to the reciever? The hookups for the sub itself are only a 8 guage standard wire for stereo use, so I was curious.... But i know it needs an amp... Any suggestions?

Here are some specs
-10" satin anodized polypropylene cone
-Extra wide surround for deep, clear bass
-Inverted style dustcap
-Mid-Q design for enclosure compatibility
-Enclosure designs included
-40 oz magnet
-Sensitivity: 91dB
-Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
-RMS power range: 150 watts to 450 watts maximum
-Freq. Range: 22-200 Hz

Anyone who could help PLEASE EMAIL ME!!!

c3shukis@wmich.edu

Or IM me on AIM as caleb12803 if I'm online! Thanks

Unregistered guest
Like EveryOne else i have the same promlem i want to add this 200 watt amp and 2 subs to my home sound system and i have been trying fora long time and i have seen it done so i kno it can happen but what will i need to use and that wont short my power anymore i need help PLEASE and just hit me at Ced2905@juno.com with the help

ohhey369
Unregistered guest
Okay so i got a 750 watt diamond sub a 10in okay! so what else do i need what kinda of amp?? and do i need new car speakers mine are pretty good now????/

ohhey369
Unregistered guest
oh yeah email me at beachbabes2062001@yahoo.com

THANKS!!!

Unregistered guest
hey, my system has been good at eating up my $ fast. just yesterday i bought a cap for my 1200 wat nitro amp, and upgraded the wireing from the batery from a 8 gage to a 4 gage. now my subs are sounding great but when im not moving or accelerating while my bass is on my car totaly dies and turns off. i have found that my few months new alternater has had alot of stress on it from before i got my cap, but is way to $ to buy another new one. my idea is to add a second battery but the battery is gona cost alot extra to instal, due to space, under my my 90 bronco hood. my question is, how elce, or where elce can i put the battery? is it possible to some how connect it in the back with my subs using the 4 gage wire going to my cap and amp?
thxs

Anonymous

i have two 800W 6X9's and a 800W 12" sub what size amp would be best?

antony
Unregistered guest
I have a jbl 500 watt with sub and tweeters and 6x4 in an 84 bmw 635 but I get a terrible high pitch humming what can i do

Username: Beanier

What I think most people are looking for is what do you do once you hook up a power supply? As in what color wires from your car stereo do you hook up to what color wires to the CPS? I'm somewhat technical, as I'm sure most people are who would want to do something like this, and I don't really understand fryguy's diagram. It's not laymans enough. It needs to be in plain english, with no summed current outputs or anything like that. And why is there a fan? This isn't car stereo specific, which is what I'm sure most people are looking for.

There's lots of people wanting to do this, it would be awesome for someone to make a standard easy to follow page for this. Shoot, if someone can tell me how, I'll make a page about it.

Needs to be cheap, homebrewed as possible(if people had the $, they wouldn't care about doing it in the first place) and in total laymans terms(if they were engineers, they wouldn't need to ask either). ;]

Username: Beanier

And fryguy's diagram is good, just not car stereo specific. A page for this would need to be from beginning to end product for people to get it, I think.

Anonymous

my amp is 500watts and my cd player is 200watts and my sub is 150watts connected to the amp on low and ever time i turn my cd player up in my car the woofer misses a beat and makes a pop all the time would it be my amp or my sub or will i just need to buy a new sub tat is over the 800watt mark

Username: Emdawg12345

Post Number: 6
ok, i have a whole system with out the head unit, all wires and everything that came with it for a CAR... i know i know look ^ and read that but i dont have a single clue wut that means, i have a radio that has 2 + and - things for the amp, i can connect that i kno how, but the power i dont have a clue, i dont wana hook it up to a computer kus i have a laptop and i dont kno how. I have chargers for batteries, can that work sumhow? and how wud i hook this up at all, there is 3 wires, power rem, grnd, and +12v... wut dus this mean, where do i hook these up too? i have a car battery and charger idc about that just wher can i get power simply without all this hassel? can sum1 plz help me

Username: Bigrich151

I really need sum help im trying to hook up my car amp in my house. i know its been done before but im not sure where to hook up the Remote and +12v wires any help would be great thanks!!!

thePENGUIN
Unregistered guest
I have read all the please help me's and do it this ways,,,,,,,i got my car amp to power up(pretty easy) sub is connected to the car amp,,,where do i draw the signal from (for the audio ,rca)from my home amp???can i get the signall from one of my floor speaker wires??
my amp has a bridged button (mono or stereo)and woofer on or off.

GrandMasterB
Unregistered guest
dont get grounded just make sure all connections are good and in the right spots dont have any wires that are not being used touch other wires cut the ones not being used off and black tape them off

Poria
Unregistered guest
Hi, I bought a 500 watt splx amp and sub. I wired it all up and the amps power light comes on, but the sub isn't working. The sub works when I connect it to my friends amp. The amp has 2 lights, red and green. The green light (protection) doesn't light up.

Do you know what it could be?

Cheers

Poria
Unregistered guest
Richard...

The connect the 12v wire to the positive side (red) of your battery.

And connect the remote wire to the blue wire behind the head unit

shimoty
Unregistered guest
i need some help with my problem two i have a car amp and 2 subs(both eclipse models) and i want to hook them up to my sterio im my room. how would i get a power sourse? i have heard people say just get a car batery and run a wire to it but im not so sure. what should i do.

shimoty
Unregistered guest
is any 1 there??????????? this is urgent!!!!

GrandMasterB
Unregistered guest
just ask me i know how because i have one of the best setups in my house

Diz
Unregistered guest
ok i got a car radio that i want to hook up to my power supply. What wires need to be connected, or do i need more things to have it power up right? I got the power supply working thru flyguy's site he provided. i want to work my radio like they do at stores like Circuit City and Auto/Computer stores

If i dont need anything else cool but i would like to know how to hook up other things like an amp and speakers from the radio unit.

Username: Audioluv2222

Cambridge , Ontario Canada

I was wondering how to power my amp off of a switching power supply or an ATX, i
currently have 2x Soundstorm DC-112DVC Car Audio 12 Inch Sub Woofer
Speakers(RMS Power Handling:450 Watts),and a Soundstorm F350.2 Car
Audio 2 Channel Sub Woofer Speaker Amp Amplifier
(350W rms x 2)
My Subs:
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1331953/vpcsid/0
/SFV/30046/sret/1621121621521422122028122219282219228285216229234289220229226295

My Amp:
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1541536/vpcsid/0
/SFV/30046/sret/1621121621521422122028122219282219228285216229234289220229226295

I was would like to know everything i need to know about being able to
power my amp off of a computer power supply, before i go out and buy
one, can someone please email me with pictures/instructions on how to
do so at * zane_mike2k4@hotmail.com
Thanks

Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us