Amplifier issues

Silver Member
Username: 20la20

Franklin, TN U.S.

Post Number: 177
ok so i just put in a sledgehammer mtx enclosure with 3 10" thunder 5500 subs. 300 wrms a piece 900 wrms all together and an overall impendance of 2 ohms.

i have a pa vx900d that was running them when i first hooked it up but i planned on buying my friends hifonics bxi1206d...a much better match for the subs. so we put it in and bam it keeps blowing the amp fuse. i even upgraded it to an 80 amp fuse and it still blew it. so he thinks its blown cuz thats what the troubleshooting guide said. so hes sending it back in and getting it fixed or replaced. so we hook my pa back up. nothing. now the rca's from the wiring kit are going bad. (one terminal pops off all the time). but i still could rig it to where it works but after we reinstalled it it didnt work. but heres the shiz: I then tried out a brand new pair of rca's to the amp and again same problem. all the wiring was correct and everything but no thump. im guessing the rcas are bad on the amp? they are pulling away and are loose. any suggestions????

Username: Johnatin_smit

Post Number: 2
i dont think u can wire 3 subs down to 2 ohms, so possibly ur wiring it down to 1.33 or something like that, and thats whats blowing the fuses...and try new rcas

Silver Member

Franklin, TN U.S.

Post Number: 182
its a sledgehammer enclosure straight from mtx...it says 2 ohms on the speaker terminal on the back of the box! an ohmeter read 2.1 ohms! lol. we took out his amp and put mine back in (which WAS working) then nothing. tried new rcas with it and still nothign

Post Number: 3
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=3&I=22

Silver Member

Franklin, TN U.S.

Post Number: 184
look dude im not a retard. i dont think mtx would just slap that on there if its not true. i dont know what the heck to tell ya but the ohmeter nor mtx lies. its 2 ohms. get over it.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=1523

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3899
" i dont think u can wire 3 subs down to 2 ohms "

You can if the subs have 3 or 6 ohm coils, which those must have if the meter read 2 ohms.

Post Number: 4
ohh, uhh, oops :-)

Silver Member

Franklin, TN U.S.

Post Number: 187
lol

Silver Member

Franklin, TN U.S.

Post Number: 196
ok so can anyone plz tell me whats wrong with my amp?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3969
Well fix your wires so they don't come loose, thats a big problem.

From what you described, it sounds like your amp is blown.

Silver Member

Franklin, TN U.S.

Post Number: 197
ok thats what im afraid of. im getting new rca's when i get my new amp and ill mount it so they wont bend

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 729
being that u tried TWO different amps i say ur powers fugged somewhere.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12090
don't confuse DCR with nominal impedance

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4045
^^^^^ I thought that at first also, but the link he posted confirms that it is in fact 2 ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us