Battery under the Hood

Silver Member
Username: Moorezy

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 150
I am upgrading from a budget 2 kicker cvrs on an orion 600d to 4 pioneers TS-W1207D2s on hifonics 1606d. I am doing the Big 3 but i noticed that my battery under the hood is kinda sketch for connection etc. Would upgrading the battery under the hood give some help ( im still running stock alt 105 amps, 1992 Buick LeSabre) wiring is Kicker 1/0 PKD1 kit. What brands should i be looking at Optima Yellowtop is what i hear. What should i be looking for. my budget is no more than 200 shipped. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3795
Not optima, they suck. Odyssey and Kinetik are very good.

A good battery will help but if you're having problems with voltage dropping, only an HO alternator will fix that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
So a battery won't help me out much is that what you saying? i should just save my 200 dollars?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3796
Is your electrical system able to handle the demand of the amp?

If not, HO alternator and battery are both necessary upgrades.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
i havnt installed my new setup yet.. I am leaning towards just getting an iraggi alt. that will solve the issue. Now what kind of amperage would i need? would a 180 max 135 idle be sufficient? 220 max 120 idle? or a 200 max 175 idle. the 200/175 is the most expensive.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3812
Watch out with Iraggi, for GM vehicles they advertise "large case" CS144 alts that they say will fit all vehicles, but they actually require modifications to fit. (often the rear mounting bracket does not work) EA does the same thing.

I believe for your vehicle a drop in replacement alt is the CS130 or CS130D. I think Iraggi has those. You want the highest combination of regular and idle amperage. Out of the examples you listed, 200/175 would be best.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3813
Derek, I would recommend this alternator:

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/7964-7-200%20amp?

That will be sufficient for your system. I can personally testify to the quality of that companies alternators, as I am running one and know a few other people have them also. In my experience DB alts are good quality at a great price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Hey M.S. if that one suites my needs i will just buy now. And this one you suggested is just a simple drop-in. Do you have MSN? Or do you use AIM

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3822
my AIM is frequenhertz

not on at the moment though

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
so that alternator would satisfy my current draw? because thats a nice price on it. If its okay then im going to buy it:-)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3827
It should be good. More is always better with alternators and a company like Ohio Gen may be able to build you a bigger one, but their prices are very high and IMO not worth the price.

I have a 200 amp alt from DB and Odyssey 1500 battery, running a 3000 watt amp. Which is pushing it's limits. I can't play full blast at idle with it. But, I don't want to pay $800+ for an alt, if anyone even makes a bigger one.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3828
One more thing:

To install your new alt, it will probably have a smaller pulley than the stock one. That means you will need a shorter belt.

Or, if you don't want to mess with figuring out what belt to use, just put the stock pulley on the alt. That's what I did on mine. The only difference is the alt does about 10 amps less at idle that way.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5680
"Watch out with Iraggi, for GM vehicles they advertise "large case" CS144 alts that they say will fit all vehicles, but they actually require modifications to fit. (often the rear mounting bracket does not work) EA does the same thing."

M.S. is right on point,I had to make a bracket for my "Bolt-on with no modifications needed" alternator from Iraggi.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3871
Yeah, some people claim that rear bracket is not needed. Obviously it is or it wouldn't be there.

I've seen a few times where the other mounting brackets cracked ( ! ) because the rear one wasn't attached.

So yeah, Iraggi and EA really need to stop their false advertising.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us