Sonoma/S10 Amp Wiring Diagram

Username: Dfarley21

Post Number: 1
Hi Everybody, I am installing an Amp in my 2003 GMC sonoma, and I can not seem to find a factory hole through the firewall to route the wiring. Does anyone know the location of it on the truck. I would imagine that it would be in the same place as on the s10. I really dont want to drill a new hole.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3764
What gauge of wire are you running? With 4 gauge or smaller the best place to run it is through the antenna grommet (passenger side, you need to take off some lower dash panels to get to it).

Anything bigger than 4 gauge and you have to drill a new hole.

Post Number: 2
I am running 2 gauge, so it looks like I will have to drill. What would you say about drilling through the floor? I am just a little weery about drilling through the firewall, call me a wuss.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3775
Through the floor will work, I did 2 runs of 0 gauge in my S10 Blazer that way. Just do it on the part of the floor that's sort of at an angle near the firewall, not a flat horizontal part. You won't be able to make a 90 degree angle under the carpet with that size wire.

Then, you need to smooth the edges of the hole you drilled, and put something around the wire to prevent the edges from wearing away at the rubber jacket. Then, seal around the wire with any silicone sealant from your local hardware store.

Post Number: 3
I appreciate your help so far. I actually found a way to wire through right underneath windshield,(When I was looking for the antenna hole I saw a hole going into the door) into the door and through the hole in the door for the door speakers. Took a LONG time to fit it through but I didnt have to use a drill. It started raining though before I was able to hook everything up. One more quick question. How would you recommend hooking it to the battery? It has the side posts, and I bought a side post extender, but I cant figure out how to use it. It goes into the post, but I cant connect the existing power wires to it because of the red boot that surrounds the wires. Do you know how to remove the post from that boot? If I can get that off, then I can use the extender to connect it. Thanks for all your help!

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3803
Pics of how you ran that wire? I'm not quite following on that....... just make sure it's weather sealed to the outside.

The side post adapter should work, if you need to you could put a stainless steel nut on it if needed to make it work.

Post Number: 4
Yea I can post a pic of it. I will try to post one tomorrow. I just made a cut into the boot that holds the speaker wire, and havent yet, but I will be sealing the boot with a marine silicone(I work in a marine store) and will be sealing from the inside of the truck and the outside of the door with a rubber gasket. No water will get through.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3816
Oh I know what you mean now. Hey thats not a bad idea actually. I should have run my wires something like that, would have been easier

Post Number: 5
Sorry I have been so busy with school that when I get the chance to work on it its already dark. I hope to have it finished by the weekend and will post pics when finished.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us