Power upgrade?

Silver Member
Username: Boxy_brown

Post Number: 118
okay i have a lanzar 2000 watt pushin 2xoz 12s they are 700 each..i have a 90 amp alt and my battery is decent but im sure its notgettin near enough power wat is the 1st and best upgrade? alternator? new battery? additional battery?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12057
alternator.
2Kw = 200A plus the car needs, so figure minimum 200A alternator, better with 250A

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3401
HO alternator.

Biggest one you can get. Even if it's only 200 amps that good enough with a good battery.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5356
When you get your high output alternator make sure you upgrade all your wiring to 1/0Awg or else you'll choke or bottleneck the power coming out of the alternator.Oh and upgrading your charging should cost around 300-900.That depends on what kind and brand of alternator you get,wiring you run,terminals you use and battery you decide to run.I think I dropped 1300 bucks on my charging system.My alternator was $550 bucks alone.I hope you're not like most people and say that's too much money considering people spend thousands on amplifiers and subwoofers but are cheap when it comes to alternators.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 430
lol me i am cheap lol i have been running my system off a stock charging system for over a year lol but its funny when you drive at night the headlights flicker like i am fclashing my highs lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 5361
Ben,that's not good.There's a chance you're going to damage your amplifiers,alternator and or subwoofers if you're not getting enough power to your amplifiers.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6763
This is why it will be my main goal to go with the least amount of power needed to set up an entire system. I hate the upgraded alt and battery thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5365
Yea...it's all about efficiency.I love my upgraded alt and batteries though :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3426
Stock charging systems just can't power high power stereos. They arent designed for it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5384
"Stock charging systems just can't power high power stereos. They arent designed for it."

I couldn't agree more.Let's say you're running a subwoofer amplifier that does 1,000 watts RMS and then you want to run some decent speakers so you get a four channel amp that puts out a conservative 60 watts RMS x4.Then add the vehicle's normal current draw (Lights,brake lights,heat,A/C,wipers,etc...it all adds up and a stock alt should never really be used in a car that has a system near 1KRms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us