Drilling holes

Username: Lrmontecarlo

Post Number: 4
Im doing the big 3 and need to create a couple of new ground points. What tool or screw would I need to drill a hole in the sheet metal to create a ground.

Bronze Member
Username: Thunderb

Post Number: 69
Anyways use a drill , dont try to use a punch and hammer as you can end up with a nice dent or crease in your fender. Also make sure you clean the paint off around the hole you are gonna attach your ground too.

If you cant get a drill bit big enough for the hole you plan to make then you will need to use a hole saw. You can get them from about 1/2 inch to 3 inches in diameter

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_007

Carlisle, KY US

Post Number: 80
why dont u use factory bolts.. under the hood.. like a bolt on the engine.. sometiems one on the air conditioner compressor is easy to get too.. and there are always some nice factory grounds on various places on the firewall just use those instead of making holes everywhere..

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3299
If car has a frame, you need to ground to the frame not the body/firewall. With unibody you can ground anywhere.

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_007

Carlisle, KY US

Post Number: 82
why would u ground to the frame.. think about it.. what is the engin mounted to..??? if u have an engine ground then an extra frame ground is very unnecessary

Username: Lrmontecarlo

Post Number: 5
Nevermind I solved the problem. I Had these huge a.s.s terminals. http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-0-GAUGE-HEAVY-DUTY-GOLD-RING-TERMINALS-AUDIOPIPE_W0QQit emZ270173311136QQihZ017QQcategoryZ50549QQcmdZViewItem
instead I stopped being cheap and bought some regular crimp terminals that should fit to the oem bolts. Thanks for your help though

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5276
The set-screw terminals slip off even if you tighten them really tight.They're not safe to use in my opinion.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3337
" why would u ground to the frame.. "

Because that's where everything else is ultimately grounded

" think about it.. what is the engine mounted to..??? "

The engine mounts, duh.

" if u have an engine ground then an extra frame ground is very unnecessary "

Sorry try again. The engine ground is usually a maximum of 4 gauge wire, which not only grounds the engine, but also serves as the alternator's ground.

When doing the big 3 you first of all do the alternator + to battery +.

Then you either have to do engine ground to frame AND frame to battery -

OR

engine to battery - AND frame to engine.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3338
Agreed with Rob, always use crimp-on terminals.

And audiopipe accessories are crap. Pretty much everything the make is.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5292
Well...I've used a couple Audipipe accessories and they are pretty nice in my opinion.I've used their terminals which are like just about any other and I also have one of their ANL fuse holders and those things are beefy,you don't have to worry about stripping it's screws out because believe me...I torqued the sh1t out of those screws and also the end caps of the holder are beefy with thick durable threads,especially for being plastic I was impressed.I'm not too sure about their other products though because I've never used them.Maybe we should get John Carr on here and he can tell us all about Audiopipe,he has a Ford Probe with 6 15s in it and is in the mid 50s running all sorts of Audiopipe gear.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5245
best off crimping and soldering, and thanks MS you save me some typing up there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us