What amp to buy

Bronze Member
Username: Joelrobichaud360

Bouctouche, New-Brunswick

Post Number: 19
Hey what amp should i buy for this kicker sub ??

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KICKER-S12L7-CAR-AUDIO-12-INCH-SUB-SUBWOOFER-1500-WATTS_W0QQi temZ140159277822QQihZ004QQcategoryZ18803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 654
at least a 1000 wattrms amp at 2 ohms. i know solos are very touchy so i'm not touchin this with a ten foot pole but u need at least that and gauins sert correctly. good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 86
Keith -
If you know "solos are very touchy", why recommend an an amp rating ABOVE the wrms rating?
AND second - you're dead wrong about impedence!

Joel - DONT BUY THIS SUB. It is D2 impedence so you will need an amp that pushes 750wrms at 4ohms. I've yet to see a quality amp that pushes that under $300. IF all you want is to push 1 L7, find one that is D4, so you can wire it down to 2ohms.

So my advice is to find an L7 w/D4 coils and purchase a zx750.1 refurbished at around $200.

If you have your heart dead set on this L7, tell me but amps that push 750wrms at 4ohms arent for low budgets.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3521
You can also use an amp that pushes more at 1 ohm... :-)

>http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260618

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12890
" AND second - you're dead wrong about impedence!"

lol, so are u any amp that does 750-1000rms @ 1ohm or 4ohms would work fine....Polo is selling an amazing amp...i got 4 and they are by far the best amps i have ever owned

Bronze Member
Username: Thunderb

Post Number: 47
Here is a quality built amp that pushes 1200 watts rms @4ohms for 160 bucks. You can use that sub if you want. Any class d sub woofer amp that goes down to 1 ohm and pushes 750 rms or more will work . This one pushes 1200 rms and made by zed audio ( the best car audio amplifier manufacture in the world!! ). If the wattage is to much thats what they make gain controls for!

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-2-CHANNEL-1200-WATT-MOSFET-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ1 90156316414QQihZ009QQcategoryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just goes to show, some people don't know crap about car audio or finding a good deal on quality equipment.

Bronze Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 93
ehh forgot about 1ohm load...dont know wtf i was thinking

but i would not recommend that amp because 1200wrms might put a strain on your electrical system (assuming not even the big 3 is done).

Plus you have to set teh gain perfect or blown L7.

i would look for an amp than pushes near 800wrms to avoid a blown sub.

but you're rite...and looking at it my post doesnt make sense...so yeah

Bronze Member
Username: Joelrobichaud360

Bouctouche, New-Brunswick

Post Number: 22
What amps would you recommend ???

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 725
Jamey, which class is that amp? I saw in the manual that the driver stages run in class A mode, but nothing about the class of the actual amp. I gotta learn more about the structure of amplifiers, but bare with me. I saw the fuse ratings were 40x3, so I figured it couldn't be class A, but I have no idea.
Thanks man.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12892
"zed audio ( the best car audio amplifier manufacture in the world!! ). If the wattage is to much thats what they make gain controls for!"

That Planet audio amp is a P.O.S..

Whats ur budget for an amp..and remember u get what u pay for...

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2892
Whats your budget?

$100

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zapco_W0QQitemZ160162116558QQihZ006QQcategoryZ39732QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$200

http://cgi.ebay.com/Memphis-16-ST1000D-Amp_W0QQitemZ170153131121QQihZ007QQcatego ryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$300

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-US-AMPS-OLD-SCHOOL-DE-1000-RARE-NEW-WOW_W0QQitemZ2001545 54636QQihZ010QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Cam that amplifier is class A . So it will pull a butt load of juice. It will work for your application though. I myself would prollybuy something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-1250-WATT-CLASS-D-MONOBLOCK-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ 190157044328QQihZ009QQcategoryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you go with this brand.

Chauncey I have been into car audio almost 20 years. I Know the diffence between quality and crap. Anytime you wanna be schooled just let me know. Unlike yourself I am not trying to sell anything.

Here lets look at your kicker amps vs. the class d planet audio from the link above

PLanet Audio APD
1250 rmsx1 @ 1 ohm (@ 12volts )
thd 1 watt at 4 ohms 0.5
signal to noise 100db
frequency response 20hz-250hz

Kicker SX1250.1
1250 RMS X 1 @1 ohm (@ 13.8volts)
Thd 1 watt 4 ohms 1.5
Signal to Noise 98db
frequency response 20-200 hz

Now anytime you wanna talk amps come back here and let me teach you a few things.

Silver Member
Username: Kingusama

Post Number: 364
www.ftasolutions.blogspot.com!!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4940
OMG chauncey vs Jamey, we need a sticky for that arguement

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 426
get a d4 sub and get a kicker 750.1, it was pratically made for that subwoofer, just make sure you get the d4 version

Username: Bigbink

PhillyUsa

Post Number: 1
hello new to this forum read the threads and going to go with jamey planet audio apd or bigbang 1250.1 puts out unreal power more than enough to kill a kicker L 5 0r 7.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12911
"Chauncey I have been into car audio almost 20 years. I Know the diffence between quality and crap. Anytime you wanna be schooled just let me know. Unlike yourself I am not trying to sell anything.

Here lets look at your kicker amps vs. the class d planet audio from the link above

PLanet Audio APD
1250 rmsx1 @ 1 ohm (@ 12volts )
thd 1 watt at 4 ohms 0.5
signal to noise 100db
frequency response 20hz-250hz

Kicker SX1250.1
1250 RMS X 1 @1 ohm (@ 13.8volts)
Thd 1 watt 4 ohms 1.5
Signal to Noise 98db
frequency response 20-200 hz

Now anytime you wanna talk amps come back here and let me teach you a few things."

Been in the game for 20years and yet still dont no what ur talking about???

My kicker amps>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>P.O.S. Planet Audio amp....My amp is digital that p.a amp is not..thats a huge diff right there...also that will never see 1200rms not even 1000rms..if an amp will not state rms at 4ohms bridged then its crap...Only somebody with little knowledge would not understand that...also its not a Class D amp, which means even if it did do its stated numbers(which it wont) it would not be efficient at all...in general a watt is a watt.. when buying an amp your paying for the quality of the components used to make those watts as well as the warranty, brand, ect..

for you to recommend a planet audio amp speaks volumes about ur knowledge of car audio...

Also im not always trying to sell stuff, where would you get off saying that??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
"My amp is digital that p.a amp is not..thats a huge diff right there"

Well Chauncey I guess the auction listed it wrong as class d. I also guess the manufacture listed it wrong as a class d.

"if an amp will not state rms at 4ohms bridged then its crap...Only somebody with little knowledge would not understand that.."

Since you know so much about amplifiers then you should be able to do math and understand ohm loads. Do the math man ,come on look at the documents on that P.A. amplifier. The rating on that amplifier is the true Rms rating.

"when buying an amp your paying for the quality of the components used to make those watts"

You said it! Right here! Those Planet audio amps were made by Zed Audio. Right here In the USA.I bet your kicker was made in China or Korea or some other third world country.They (Zed Audio ) Only use Quality components. I Think anyone Nakamichi , Harmon Kardon , or Polk Audio hires to build there thousand dollar amps know Quality.If you don't who zed audio is then you need read this post from the link below.

http://www.zedaudio.com/aboutus.html

"for you to recommend a planet audio amp speaks volumes about ur knowledge of car audio... "

Well Thank you! I mean I am not an Eistien by any means but since I work on amplifiers and other electronics every day all day long in a Repair shop,Well I try

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Oh Chancey by the way I notice a few other items I need to mention to you.

"if an amp will not state rms at 4ohms bridged then its crap...Only somebody with little knowledge would not understand that.."

Neither that Kicker amp you have or that planet audio amp will "Bridge" You can't bridge a single channel amp. Unless you can strap 2 together.

Also you need to look up form factors on Amplifiers. Any amplifiers made in the United States has to go by Root mean square standards as listed in "UL" Rating from the Underwriters Labratories to obtain the most 'true' RMS rating.

Don't feel bad about buying those Kicker amps, those are decent mid grade amplfiers . You just got suckered in by the ever changing Car Audio world and some crafty marketing.

PhillyUsa

Post Number: 10
I tried to tell a lot of people that you cant bridge a 1ch amp a quick fix to the power problem get a w7 or something else strong and put that planet audio or kicker,ect on it a hear what amp pushes it the hardest.

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12916
This guy keeps shooting himself in the foot..

"Since you know so much about amplifiers then you should be able to do math and understand ohm loads. Do the math man ,come on look at the documents on that P.A. amplifier. The rating on that amplifier is the true Rms rating."

Did the math and that first amp u posted still doesnt do what you stated it would...Until u show me a birthsheet or proof that it has been benched tested by an accredited company then :p

"Those Planet audio amps were made by Zed Audio"

I no exactly who Zed Audio are..and just like almost ever other company they have there lower lines, and Planet audio is just that a lower P.O.S. brand just because Ford makes the FordGT doesnt mean they dont make the Ford Focus as well...

"Neither that Kicker amp you have or that planet audio amp will "Bridge" You can't bridge a single channel amp. Unless you can strap 2 together."

No sh!t...again refering to the amp in the first link, u posted

"
Also you need to look up form factors on Amplifiers. Any amplifiers made in the United States has to go by Root mean square standards as listed in "UL" Rating from the Underwriters Labratories to obtain the most 'true' RMS rating."

Yeah but at what cost? Some sony amp are CEA compliant to do 1200rms...but at what cost?? High Harmonic distortion?? High Intermodulation distortion??...

From what you are telling me is that my Kicker sx1250.1 with a birthsheet that states with all channels driven will produce 1503rms@1ohm is not a better amp then that P.O.S. Planet Audio amp?? If so you need to get out of the back of that shop more...

Also neither of the amps you have posted has stated 1200rms @1ohm...neither of them..so your whole point is invald/ Thread

PS..G Irv, please stay around and learn something about car audio :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
You know I could keep showing you spec by spec that those Planet Audio Amps will run with your kicker amp any day, but I think this is my last post on this subject.

"Did the math and that first amp u posted still doesnt do what you stated it would...Until u show me a birthsheet or proof that it has been benched tested by an accredited company then :p "

All New Planet Audio Amps come with birth sheets. Sorry I dont have one of those but I got one of these

Here is a link on the planet audio amplifier review by Car Audio magazine

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0108cae_planet_audio_pa2500d_car_audio_am plifier/index.html

"I no exactly who Zed Audio are..and just like almost ever other company they have there lower lines, and Planet audio is just that a lower P.O.S. brand just because Ford makes the FordGT doesnt mean they dont make the Ford Focus as well..."

Quality is Quality Anything made in the USA is better than something made in China. Its like comparing snap on tools and china made tools.We are also talking amplifiers not cars or tools though

"Yeah but at what cost? Some sony amp are CEA compliant to do 1200rms...but at what cost?? High Harmonic distortion?? High Intermodulation distortion??..."

Sony Amplifiers are not made here in the USA So they dont go by the same rating system

And will Someone , anyone please click on the links on the planet audio amplifiers I posted above and confirm the 1200 @ 4 ohms briged mono on the first one and 1250x1 @ 1 ohm watt rating. Cause hes having a hard time reading the auctions evidently

Anyway Chauncey maybe you should come down here and spend a little time in my Shop

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Couldnt upload this it was to big when I scanned it

http://www.itsmusic.net/jamey/459335_29_full.jpg

Username: Um0r

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
hi i need some help i have kicker s15L7 subwoofer which i got from a friend and i also got his deck. Now i need to know which amp should i go for i dont know nothing about amps and how do they work. Plus some1 is selling his adiobohn a800t apms should i go for it or not n plus i m not looking to spend more than $250 on amps

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1945
Jamey...here is a link to a great forum for you.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/

Bronze Member

PhillyUsa

Post Number: 15
keep in mind zed doesent own planet audio they are just sub contraced to build amps that other companies design panet audio I had no problems with them when used properly

Platinum Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12943
"Anyway Chauncey maybe you should come down here and spend a little time in my Shop"

No thanx, I would forget everything i no, and be like you :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us