H.O. Alternator in a civic?

Username: Brent113

Post Number: 1
I have a 1991 Civic hatch with a ZC engine swap. I'm also putting in 2 12" cvx's and a 1700W amp.

Obviously this means I need a new alternator. So I was looking around at sites like 4alterstart and found this:

http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=highoutputalterna tors&uid=10136&returnURL=http%3A//www.4alterstart.com/highoutputalternators

Is there anyway to make this (or something similar) work in my car? Either as a replacement or a second alternator.

I've been researching a lot but I'm not sure where I can find a bidirectional fan or how to mount it right. Any insights?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6473
Why are you looking at a Chevy's alternator? I thought your car was civic?
4alterstart should have one for your car. Unless you drive a hummer, I doubt there's any room for 2nd alternator in a civic.

Post Number: 2
I'm looking at larger alternators because there is room in my car and even the largest Honda alternators are not capable of putting out the amperage I need without spending almost as much as what I paid for the car.

There is room for another alternator where the ac was mounted, but it needs to be ccw or bidirectional, which I haven't found yet

Gold Member

Post Number: 6477
How much current do you need? For 1700w amp, 175A alternator should be good enough. Don't make it too complicated than is required.
Playing music does not use lot of current. Don't let the amp's manual/spec/fuses fool you.

Post Number: 10
That's a good point. I actually just received the amp in the mail today and was windering something. The amp has 3x35A fuses (105A total) and is rated for 1200W at 4 ohms, 1700 at 2 ohms, and 2200 at 1 ohm. How does that work? I didn't know you could create power!?! I mean, using p=iv 105 amps at 12 volts is 1260 watts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6479
Yes, but if you lower the resistance, you get more output power cause more current flows.
The 105A will be the max, meaning if you played sine waves all day. With music, it's up and down. On the average, probably 60A - 75A.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us