Lights flicker constanly - need help!

Bronze Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 11
OK, so I've had one 12" Fi Q with a Sundown SAZ-1500D amp installed for only 3 days now and already it seems I'm having power problems. I have a yellowtop so I didn't think I'd encounter these problems even though I had my sub playing for at least 30 minutes at a tailgaiting party without the engine on.

I played the sub pretty hard the first two days when the car was on, but today I didn't use it much, but when I increased the bass from -6 to +2 (out of -24 to +6) the lights started flickering on and off every time the bass hit. Should I charge the battery or will it be just fine as long as I drive around for awhile without the sub too loud or on at all?

Thanks for the help, really need it as I'm worrying I could wake up to a dead battery :0

PS I accidently left my phone charger plugged in for almost four days straight >:0 so I wouldn't be surpised if this was the only problem.

Let me know.

Oh one more thing if it helps. The car's a Ford Escape 02 with stock alt.

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 610
Yes you may just wake up with a dead battery, but the battery isn't your problem. Your stock alternator isn't able to keep up with the amperage being drawn from your amplifier. In other words you need to look into getting a high output alternator. (or just turn your gain down)

Anyways there are many companies that make HO alternators. Many people here will refer you to Iraggi, Excessive Amperage and others. Oh and by the way I would never leave your subs bumping on for 30 minutes with the car off. That's never a good idea. Defiantly one of the quickest ways to fry your subs/amps. Read up on low-voltage clipping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I checked out Iraggi's eBay store and right now I'm liking the 220amp/85 amp idle alternator. For what I have and plan to put in (some good Hifonics or similiar speakers) do you think the 220 amp one is good or should I go with the slightly cheaper 200 amp/90 amp idle alternator?

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12779
Get the one that will do more at idle...

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 612
i would look for at least a 120 idle alternator. they may be expensive but they are defiantly worth the money.

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 358
Also upgrade the big 3.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I've heard a lot about the big 3, but I don't know exactly what it is, so if anyone knows a lot about it I'm all ears lol.

And is it possible to charge your battery with the subs hooked up? I have a charger, but don't see how I could charge it without disconnecting anything or taking the battery out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Never mind that charger comment, my friend showed me and I'm charging it now. was at 85%

Anyways I think I will get an HO alternator, but not until after or just before I get some Image Dynamics component speakers and a Sundown 2 channel

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1946
fords do that

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1947
i guess wat im trying to say is with my system running 1300 watts on a 250 amp alt, big 3, and another batt my inside lights still dim. like by the speedometer in the cluster. lights flicker and sh!t. i know my electrical is upto par ;) so i say its fords

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
my friend doesnt have a ford and an ok system but his lights flicker too so im not that worried nemore just thought my battery was almost dead when that happened the first time lol

oh n i made my first car alarm go off yesterday
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us