Please Help Finalizing my System

Username: Glinkov

Post Number: 3
I have a Honda 2001 Accord Coupe. I installed a kenwood head unit with a 10 gig music keg. Now, I would like to improve the clarity and bass output of my system. I know I'd probably need to change the factory speakers. Additionally, I was thinking about the infinity basslink x for the self-powered sub. My question is, do I need a seperate amp to power the speakers. And please advise me on good brands and if maybe I should go for a seperate sub/amp combination(instead of the basslink). Btw, I'm not looking to wake up the block, just to enjoy the music myself with bass and clarity for rap and rock. Thanks a lot for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3163
Look at Infinity Kappa and Kappa Perfect components for front and rear.
In the accord I'd go with the Perfect 6.1 separates in the front doors, and Kappa 6.5" coaxials in back, or 6x9" in the rear deck.
The basslink should be fine.
Try this with head unit power first. If you feel you want a stronger front stage, tehn look at adding a 4 channel amp for the components
ideally, you could even bridge the 4 channel amp and use it just to drive the 6.1 fronts, and run the rear speakers off of the head unit since ideally you don't really want to hear the rear speakers.

Post Number: 4
Thank you so much for the help GlassWolf. I'm a little confused about the 4 channel amp "bridging" that you suggest to drive the 6.1 front speakers. What exactly does that mean?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3177
bridging allows you to take the 4 channel amp and run it as a 2 channel amp, putting all of it's power into two channels for just the front speakers.

http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

Post Number: 5
Maybe I will simply get a two channel amp for the front speakers. Which amp and wattage do you suggest? Just to make sure--all of the components in my car will be connected to the head unit under one volume control right? Also, will I need equalizers?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3186
yes one volume
no EQ needed.
get an amp with about the same RMS rating at 4 ohms as the speakers you plan to use

Username: Jdukey

Post Number: 1
I am looking at a similar problem, I have looked at the Infinity Kappa 693.5i 6x9s and I am very impressed, but do infinity make perfect series 6x9s?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3192
I believe they only have Kappa series in 6x9"
which is fine really.. since those would usually just be rear speakers

Post Number: 6
Thanks a lot GlassWolf. The kappa's look great but are they worth the $600 price tag (including the front and back speakers)? Maybe a cheaper set would produce similar results? Any other suggestions?

Anonymous

I don't really think so.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3207
you get what ya pay for.
you may want to audition the speakers before buying them.
If you want something cheaper, CDT has some decent speakers, and www.thezeb.com has good prices for them.

check the net for prices on Infinity as well. Don't rely on sites like Crutchfield or Sounddomain, as both usually charge full retail for everything, or very close to it.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 54
http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=list&category=I nfinity%3BComponents
Kappa 60.5cs $187
Kappa Perfect 6.1 $259
Kappa 6.5 or 6x9 coaxials $105-120
I just found a site real quick, just proving a point, I'm sure there are cheaper prices around online. Still, the most you'll spend is $400 for 6.1's and 6x9 in the back, that's after shipping. www.ikesound.com has cheap prices, but they're not stocking the 6.1's right now.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the research Jonathan. I just thought that since the kappa's are known to have too bright of tweeters, I could go for something a little cheaper and still be happy with the output.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonnyboy420

Post Number: 20
i've seen some good prices on the infinity's at thezeb.com you could try looking there. or search for price comparisons from different sites at epinions.com

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3225
the kappa and pakka perfects have settings on the crossovers to attenuate the tweeters.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 103
It depends on where you mount the tweeters, too. Most people mount tweeters up high at ear level. The Perfects tweeters are designed to be on axis with the woofer. They sound great in a kick panel or on the door right beside or barely above the woofer. If those tweeters are up really high, they can be a bit bright, even with attenuation, because of the aluminum tweeter. I can tell you a set of components that are well worth a $500 price tag(more or less, depending on where you buy them) are Diamond Audio HEX series, especially the set with silk dome tweeters, which are very smooth, not fatiguing at all, take a lot of power, and sound fantastic. Awesome set, especially for the price, run those off a 2 channel with about 150W RMS, and forget rear speakers.

Username: Adamwright

Post Number: 10
I have a 2001 honda accord coupe as well and purchased the 693.5 6x9's as well as the perfect 5.25 which by the way is the size for your doors unless you cut new holes not the 6.25, I also purchased 2-2 channel alpine v-12 amps to kick 80 watts rms to each channel. Those 6x9's will bump to an unexpected level I hear if you feed them power so you can save the money on the basslink and have extra powerful sound quality. By the way what do you all think of the v-12 alpine amps?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 110
They're all around good amps. I'd still not write off a sub. 6x9's are good, but there not subwoofers by any means. Really, a front component system and sub without rear fill is the way to go as far as sound quality. Rear fill is ok, but only when it's band limited and faded out.

rickey
Unregistered guest
hey i have a 300 watt into 4 ohms 150 rms into 4 ohm 1 channel road master amp can i get a subwoofer to go with this amp and make it thump so it will rattle windows and be loud like that.please let me know what kind of sub i should get
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us