Stereo Stolen but very little damage....

Username: Icucmeuc

Post Number: 1
And I find it really odd. I have had stereos in the past get stolen, 4 of them total actually. All of those were smash, grab, cut, tear, etc. Lots of broken bits, windows, door handles, whatever they needed to get the stuff out of the car and get it out fast.

But this time I went out to my car in the morning to find the hood up a little bit. I knew it had been broken into and assumed most everything was gone. On inspection of the car I lost the following:

Optima gel cell battery
JBL BP1200.1 mono amp
Two JBL P180.2
Two Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 subs in custom box.
About 100 CDR copies of my CD collection in MP3 Format (probably useless to them and they will just toss them out when they realize they have CDR stuff they cannot get cash for. I learned my lesson on CDs though, if you have a burner always make copies if you dont take them with you when you leave your car)

They left my two 1 farad caps. ($200)

They left my power distribution blocks, fuse holders, etc. Hell that stuff cost more than the subs and the sub amp : P around $350 for all the little bits and pieces I think.

They left my Infinity component speakers and crossovers. ($700)

They left my head unit (faceplate was with me inside though) ($800)

They left my cell phone charger. ($50)

They left my brand new portable air pump and digital guage. ($75)

They left my check book. I guess that could have been bad...

They left around $20 in quarters in the center console, and I know they saw them.

They left a brand new tool set I had in the car from work that day. ($250)

Makes me worry they intend on coming back to get the rest. I have a pager alarm on the way, and also an inexpensive but sufficient camera system which I can use to monitor my apartment parking lot with an extra computer here, 24/7 (low light camera).

What baffles me about this thing though, is whoever did this was CLEAN about it. Not one wire was "cut". Nothing was forced too much. My car is a 1990 mazda Rx7 turbo. They broke into it in the following fashion (at least this is my assumption based on what I found looking around car).

They reached inside the front grille and located the clip used for the hood alarm switch and disconnected it. Then they yanked down on the hood release cable (which they broke since pulling it that way puts too much stress on the plastic retainer) ($20) to pop the hood where they disconnected the battery. At this point, no alarm anymore. They moved to the passenger door and tried to get a tool in through 2 points (2 small paint chips / scrapes at those points barely noticeable) but were not able to get the door open that way. At this point they pushed a small screwdriver in between the door handle casing and the actual door, breaking the bezel ($9) and getting the tip inside, they popped the retaining clip holding the lock cylinder off and pushed the cylinder inside and probably used a screwdriver or something to actuate the lock and get the door open.

When they took everything out, they unbolted it. They didnt break anything... they didn't smash anything. Even when they did the amps they unbolted them off the plates I had them on, unscrewed all the connectors, disconnected all the RCA cables etc. It was as clean as if I had decided to take the stuff out on my own. The slack cable was even neatly coiled up.

So I either feel they will be back for the rest, or they were careful on purpose... they want me to put a new radio in. They stole just enough out of it to make it pretty easy for me to just replace the few things, and they didn't damage anything so I can simply buy new stuff and pop it right back in.

Do thieves think like this? I'll never understand the criminal mind, lol... so I have no idea here. (and I know I don't sound so pissed off here but believe me, if I saw them doing it I would have taken a crowbar to their heads) I wont drop the new equipment in until I get the alarm installed this week, and get my camera system set up to watch the car. Think I'll catch myself some thieves? And before anyone says oh it was someone you know... it wasn't. I don't know anyone here since moving here out of college. I work an hour a way and everyone I work with is over 40 with kids and does fine... no reason to steal $800 of car stereo stuff.

Also, any advice? For now I am thinking of going with the same brand stuff as it treated me very well for the 2 years I had it. Since JBL no longer makes those amps though I was looking at the PX300.4 for the components and GTO1201.1 for two Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 subs. I still have the templates and dimensions I made for the custom box, and those subs were beautiful in a sealed setup. The system is for my enjoyment while IN the car so I don't need a show car setup or some rolling bazooka with the bass running 18 dB over the rest of the music.

Anyways thanks for taking the time to read : ) If anyone has any input to offer on any of my questions please do : )

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 37
are you sure that a crowbar would be enough steve? there might be more than one of them.
i like CSgas and nunchucks, the CS ensures that you have a better chance when faced with multiple targets and the chain in the nunchucks make it more versotile than a solid object like a bat or a crowbar

Post Number: 2
To be completely honest, these days I wouldn't confront anyone breaking into my car. Nunchucks or not =/ I'm no ninja, and the chances of them having a gun or knife is a bit too much for me to risk. I've called the cops a few times when cars full of kids are circling the parking lot at night that obviously do not live here, and the cops are here within 2 minutes, every time. Sometimes faster. I'd be satisfied seeing them get caught.

Anonymous

Man. I'm REALLY sorry to hear that. I can not believe people these days. To d@mn SORRY to get off their @sses and buy their own sh!t. As for the new system if I was you I would wait a few months before I put new stuff in. Due to the fact that like you said they will more then likly be back. But atleast they left your car. Since they took just about everything in the car. If they was going to do all that they should have just taking the whole car. but anyway really sorry for your loss.

Bronze Member
Username: Twh1227

Post Number: 21
sound domain still caries the bp 1200.1 how did the perfects sound with that amp? also what size box were they in? i have 2 perfects on a 600 rms fosgate and they dont sound all that great i think its probably the box though thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
if you dont feel able to protect yourself and your property i can give you the number of a man that can help you, his name is mr miaggy and he will teach you daniel son, if this doesnt work out il put you intouch with o-b-whan, failing that... darth. LOL.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3164
consider adding an electronic hood bolt to the alarm as well.
then even if the battery cable is cut, or the hood release cable is snapped, they can't open the hood without literally prying the entire hood off of the hinges.

an alarm siren with its own battery backup is handy too. Especially in combination with the hood bold.
that's how I set up the jeep.

you can pop the hood locking bolt using a spare alarm remote aux button, so it's easy enough to wire in.. no more difficult than adding hood pins really.

you'll want to set up an ideal alarm similar to this:
http://www.wickedcases.com/jeep/security.jpg

Post Number: 3
The subs / amp combo were the best I have had. My first system was a couple sony amps and kicker premade sub boxes. Second was pioneer amps and pioneer bandpass premade boxes. Third was rockford fosgate subs and amps that cost me a damn arm and a leg and were the WORST of all speakers I had.... go figure.

The infinity subs and JBL combo was by far the best I have had. I could crank it to unbearable levels if I wanted to, and it wouldn't even distort in the slightest.

The box I made custom. Had 1 foot cube volume exactly per sub and they were isolated from eachother in their own seperate enclosure. The box I made was made to fit where the rear seats go in an RX7 2+2 model. Was flush all around, really couldnt even tell it was there as the speakers fired at the backs of the seats, and I had a covering so that you could not see them from outside the car at all... if you looked in it just looked like the car's carpet.

Thanks for the advice on the lock Glasswolf. The alarm I have coming is the Compustar 2WSS. I bought it same day after some quick research... hope it is sufficient.

And as far as them not taking the car, I am kinda surprised on that, yeah. It has a full $1200 stainless exhaust on it, $2000 rims and $800 tires etc. But had they tried I dont think they would have been able to get it started unless they knew me. I did take the time to put some simple combo kill switches in in extremely "odd" places run off the injector lines. Car will crank over forever without them all switched right, but won't start. Just sounds like a flooded engine. I wanted to avoid a starter kill switch as that would alert to there actually being a switch like that when the car didn't turn over for them.

Glass since it looks like you are the man to ask around here, what is your opinion of the inifinity subs and JBL amps? The other stuff I bought from a drop shipper on ebay, Car Audio Shoppe at dirt cheap prices. Basically for the subs I have 2 and a half cubic feet of room or so to play with, but want to keep it small as possible. And for the amp for the components I need something that will drive 4 sets of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6 1/2" components.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3179
JBL's amplifiers are just fine.
If you want to upgrade a little, look at Kicker or MTX for amplifiers as well.
Infinity's components are great. The subs are good, though not my favorites. Still, not bad by any means. I'm just a much bigger fan of Eclipse and Image Dynamics for subs.
If you want small sealed boxes definitely look at Eclipse aluminum or titanium subs. Not cheap, but excellent for SQ setups. They do look cool as hell too with hte metal cones. :-)

Compustar makes terrific alarms. Good choice.

Post Number: 4
I must be missing something here but I cannot find sealed box size for the Eclipse SW8122.4 12" aluminum sub. Actually I cannot find any suggested box sizes on their entire site. Any idea what the recommended enclosure volume is for a sealed box with that sub?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3185
0.7 to 1.0 cu ft per sub

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 145
You should get a gun or a large knife! And a big dog!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
or a machine gun on the roof of your house
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us