Need to know if i need a cap

Username: Straightballer

Carmel, Indiana Us

Post Number: 1
im new to subwoofers and car audio because i just got my license. i have a 2000 mazda 626 with the factory bose audio. and im getting 2 12" MTX road thunder subs. with a Legacy Red Series LA970 600wx2ch mosfet amp....and my question is what else do i need, and do i need a capacitor or what. if you could pass some knowledge on to me that would be great...my AIM is HotCarmelGuy1, please help me

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4480
Well,after you install your gear and upon peak times of music you see your lights dimming you should get an alternator before you get a cap of any size.It's also a good idea to beef up your wiring(Google Big 3 Upgrade).

Carmel, Indiana Us

Post Number: 2
like what size and how much will that cost....o and one more ?, do i need a new head unit

Gold Member

Post Number: 4593
I always recommend getting an alternator with the most maximum amperage for your vehicle as possible,look into Iraggi Alternators and Excessive Amperage(I'd buy Iraggi before Excessive.).It would be a good idea to upgrade your head unit but that's really your choice.You'll get more features and most likely,a cleaner signal.I don't know if the Head unit you're using right now has Subwoofer outputs so...

Carmel, Indiana Us

Post Number: 3
ok thanks that was a lot of help...ur a beast

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 964
First off, if you haven't bought any of what you mentioned you were getting yet, don't. How much do you have to spend for your system? If you already bought it, that amp and those subs, it is highly unlikely that you will need to upgrade your alternator. It is always recommened to get an aftermarket HU though. If you still have a stock HU and don't have the money for a new one, just get a LOC and you can run the RCA's from the amp to it.

Carmel, Indiana Us

Post Number: 4
no i have the subs and the amp and thats it.. i have 200 to spend on a hu, and what is the main reason for buying a new hu?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4707
There are so many reasons to get a new head unit.In a sub system you'll be able to adjust the sub stage through the head unit because it will have an output and the output for the subs will probably be adjustable as far as the frequency range goes or even the slope of the signal but this depends on the head unit you purchase.You can also use the EQ features and the head unit and fine tune your sound to make it sound extra clean and nice.Some head units also have DSP and allow you to do time correction to give your driver's seat the center stage feeling.The new head unit will probably have a line out for a front stage if you plan on running an amp to your speakers.You can also play MP3s through most head units and hey...they even look much better than a stock one due to their usually eye appealing displays :-) The power output of the internal amplifier on an aftermarket head unit usually surpasses that of a stock head unit and it should have better sound quality as well.All around it's better in just about every way you can think of depending on what you get and what you're willing to spend.As far as the MAIN REASON for buying a new head unit goes...I'd say the sound quality.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1387
Brad - it's a 300w amp. You should be able to run at least three of them before you'd need to worry about electrical upgrades.

Also - as Rob explained - there are a lot of reasons that would make an aftermarket HU a nice addition, but IMO you don't NEED one to get good quality performance from your amp/subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us