What amp should I get?

Unregistered guest
Hey I just bought 2 12'' Volfenhag subs (yeah I know some of you might not like them..but I thought I'd give them a try) and have sort of limited money (not quite 17 y/o with a part time job), but was wondering if any of you have any amp suggestions? I saw a BOSS RT1045 amp on ebay that looked like it might be good for my subs, but I'm a newb so I'm not exactly sure..

Here are some of the sub specs:

2 12" subs
Magnet: 160 oz. Double stacked Ferrite
Frame: 5 spoke Die-cast aluminum basket
Cone: Reinforced aluminum curvilinear
Surround: Oversized buytl rubber
Spider: 2 Flat ultra excursion
Power handling: 500 watts RMS, 1,000 Watts max
T Yoke: Industrial Chromed Hex bolt retained, Bumped and Vented
Double damper magnetic motor assembly
Cooling: Double Vented (T Yoke and Motor Side vents)
Voice Coils: 4 Layer Dual 4 Ohm High Temperature black Aluminum
Voice Coil Diameter: 2.2"
Nominal impedance: 4 ohms / per coil
DC resistance (Re): 3.2 ohms ea. coil
Frequency range: 20 Hz-1.1 kHz

I'd appreciate any responses :-) I'm looking for something at a decent price that will go pretty good with my subs. Would the 1600w Volfenhag amp be any good for the subs?

Anonymous

get a 1000-1500 watt legacy amp. it may sound ok. but if i was you i would have saved my money and got something good. like kicker CVRs for 79.00 bucks a piece and a good JBL amp or kicker amp

acmoe
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the reply. I should slap myself expecially because I paid $196 for these volfenhag subs. x_x :punch: So volfenhag is a pretty crappy company? What isn't good? :I'm pretty n00bish with car audio: One of my friends' dad owns a shop around here that is a car audio store maybe I should have gone there first. As for the Kicker CVRs they look good, and probably sound a lot better than these will.. I got ripped off on these too didn't I? Maybe I should try to sell them whenever they arrive lol Anyway, thanks for the amp suggestions. I'll check them out tonight.

Anonymous

can you send them back? and yeah they SUCK you will be lucky if they don't blow in a week. the sound of them is very poor. if you can send them back please do it. this is a site you can check out and get some prices of kickers.

http://www.acaraudio.com/

Anonymous

oops and yes you got ripped big time.

acmoe
Unregistered guest
Hmm that's not good.. I'll see if I can get my money back for them. So CVR's are good subs? Any others for under $200?

Anonymous

Anonymous

JL audio 10W0-4's $89.00, Alpine SWS-1241 $89.00, Rockford Fosgate RFP4412 $89.00. You could also try ebay. I have picked up some sweet deals there.

acmoe
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the replies. Ok so now I got my money back for the Volfenhag subs, and I found a pair of Audiobahn subs that look really nice. Some of my friends told me Audiobahn is a pretty good company, what do you all think? The ones I was looking at are the ALUM12Q model. They are rated at 1000 watts RMS, and it says it's 3 or 12 ohm compatible, and since I'm a noob, would anyone like to recommend a relatively cheaper 3 or 12 ohm amp? Oh before I forget, the $196 was just shipping for the pile of crap Volfenhag subs, whenever I sent the person payment he told me 'the $196 was only shipping, not the total' I was like 'you Have to be kidding me.' lol Anyway, so if someone could tell me if that model of Audiobahn sub is good, and what kind of amp for it..I'd appreciate it. I'm just looking for a sub that will pound hard and shake my body. These subs look capable of that, but how do they sound? Thanks

acmoe
Unregistered guest
By the way, I'll be having my friend hook it all up for me. He and his dad own a car performance store so they'll do a much better than than I could.

I was just looking on google for some reviews on the ALUM12Q and all the ones I've found are positive, and one person mentioned the kind of amp he has the subs hooked up to, and when I did a search on that amp, it says its 2 or 4 ohm. So that leads me to another questoin, can any 2 or 4 ohm amp be hooked up to a 3 ohm sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Livinlow

Post Number: 11
you said it exactly right in your previous post, "...I found a pair of Audiobahn subs that look really nice." and "These subs look capable of that...". thats what audiobahn strives on, looks, not performance. save your money and dont spend it on any audiobahn equipment. kicker comp vr's would be a much better investment.

UnknownGuest
Unregistered guest
well, i know this seems to be misplaced here, but can anyone give me a hint if the kicker kx850.4 is any good compared to other amps who throw out around 90w x 4? THANX

Anonymous

kicker is the best. and acmoe if you know what is good for you you will not waste you money on that JUNK don't go by looks. because if you go with audiobahn that is all you will get it looks sound will not be worth a SH!T. trust me i know. go with KICKERS are JL audio NOT AUDIOBAHN unless all you want is LOOKS and sorry sound.

stillwannaknow
Unregistered guest
...and what about the amps???

Anonymous

KICKER amps would be the good choice. Are a JBL

acmoe
Unregistered guest
Thanks. I'll go with Kicker since eveyone is saying they are good. Would 2 12" Kicker Comp VR's be good? Is $160 a good deal for the 12"s and a box?

Anonymous

YES and YES

acmoe
Unregistered guest
Thanks. :-) Any recommended amp for these bad boys?

Bronze Member
Username: Munkyjojo

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 16
A kickerkx 600.1 would be a good match. If im correct you can put 300 watts into each of the subs. Or a jbl 600 would also work..its cheaper.

Anonymous

how much do you have left to spend on a amp?

acmoe
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys I checked them out on ebay just now. Their a little $$ for me though. I have the money but I was saving it for a car, but i decided it would be better to buy the subs before I have to pay car payments with my part-time salary. Is there any other amp that is going for closer to $120 or under? If I got a cheap/crappy amp on ebay that the wattage is way overstated, how many watts would be be good? Legacy has some cheap amp, probably not good, but with a higher wattage legacy amp, would it work fine? What kind of amp has good bang for a fairly cheap buck? I just had a good laugh looking at sony xplod crap. Thanks

acmoe
Unregistered guest
Kickers are on the way :-) Now I need to get an amp. Thanks for all the help! Glad I found this site. And I'm glad I could cancel my order or I would have been spending almost $250 on 2 volfenhag subs..thanks for saving me..and my money. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3208
cheapest good amps you'll find are by JBL or Cadence.

Kicker and MTX are the next step up.

Anonymous

No problem about the help thats what we are here for. Anyway the amp $120.00 huh? well JUST for now I would say pick up a Lanzar (vibe248)@122.99 that is going to be the best match right now since you are on a tight budget and it is new so any problems you a get a replacement. you can get it here.

http://store.teptronics.com/vibe248.html

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 51
"Just for now" amps are a waste of money. Trust me, be patient and don't get an amp you will regret having after you replace it. All you'll do is look at your wasted 120 dollars sitting in a box in your room. I'd save a little more up and plop the money down on a JBL 600.1, you can find them under 200 on ebay and 220 on www.sounddomain.com It's whether you want a warranty or not. You can save up 80 or you can waste the money and save 200, it's your choice.

Anonymous

Jonathan you are crazy. I have seen Amps ALOT worse. I got 2 friends that have Lanzar amps one has had his for 3 years no problems and great sound the other has had his for 5 years and NO problems. I will admit they do NOT sound as good as my JL 500/1 or 300/4 but they are pretty good little amps for the money. You really shouldn't judge stuff before you try it. Lanzar isn't exactly on the BAD list. GlassWolf posted this link on another post.

http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Anonymous

Jonathan you are crazy. I have seen Amps ALOT worse. I got 2 friends that have Lanzar amps one has had his for 3 years no problems and great sound the other has had his for 5 years and NO problems. I will admit they do NOT sound as good as my JL 500/1 or 300/4 but they are pretty good little amps for the money. You really shouldn't judge stuff before you try it. Lanzar isn't exactly on the BAD list. GlassWolf posted this link on another post.

http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Anonymous

Username: Sakins223

Philadelphia, Pa United States

Post Number: 2
you got to be kiddin me i didnt know there were so many dorks on this site i mean come on volfenhag, thats really bad you should get a real job or save up to buy real speakers stop wasting your money, they aint even worth stealin. and whoever said lanzar is OK is retarded they have some of the best amps i ever owned and i never owned any volfenhag in my life jl, eclipse, audiobahn and mtx's are the way to go for bass and ev's, beymas, and sony is the way for highs noyhing else matters anyway get some nice punch amps or lanzar amps to push them things u got and pray they dont blow

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
i have lanzar amps on special this week steve..
starting from $645 for real quality power and you know what i mean there steve
jayamaroirocz28@yahoo.com

Anonymous

hey G@Y JAY I got them right here for 100.00 F@G get LOST.

http://store.teptronics.com/vibe248.html

acmoe
Unregistered guest
Steve, I recommend seeing an eye doctor. Since over 3/4ths of this thread was AFTER I posted getting my money back from the volfenhag subs, and bought Kickers instead. Oh, and last I knew, not very many 16 year old's have 'real jobs'. I work part time after school about 4 or 5 days a week. I don't believe I'm 'wasting my money' with kickers. And I got 2 12" Comp VR's and a box for $155 =)

Thanks GlassWolf and the anonymous person. I like the JBL 600.1 amp, but I would really like a remote bass control too..if I would get that, is there any way to hook one up to it? I looked at the Lanzar amp before 'Anonymous' recommended that, and it seemed pretty decent. Would the 248 be enough to power both subs? The amp looks good to me, and a good price.

I have another question now. These Kicker's are 4ohms with the dual voice coils. I was on SoundDomain.com and it had a guide on how to hook them up to the amp, and it said 2 subs with 4 ohms and dual voice coils can be connected in either 2 or 8 ohm. Is that right? and if it's in 2 ohm, does that mean it's going to be bridged? (I'm pretty clueless...so I'll probably have my friend or his dad hook them up for me.)

Johnathan, have you owned a Lanzar amp that went bad? Or did you hear or a story from someone else who didn't know what they were doing and messed it up somehow..? If anyone here has owned a Lanzar amp, I'd like to hear what you think/thought about it. Thanks a lot :-)

Anonymous

you should just try a Lanzar amp you would not be disappointed. and yes the 248 should be great. I have owned lanzar amps and I have NEVER had any problems. Johnathon is just saying bad things about them cause their cheap. and yes those subs can be put in a 1 or 4 ohm load but you will want the 4 ohm since that amp will not handle a 1 ohm load.

And here is a good wiring diagram to help you with that 4 ohm load.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC4x2

Anonymous

if you really want to impress your friends and still want some thump id go with the audiobahn flame stamped series subs. they are crazy beautiful and sound pretty good too. not to mention you can get a set of 2 for about 65bucks on ebay brand new

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 171
Well excuse me, I didn't know Lanzar was good enough to make the "questionable" list on Glasswolfs thread, wow I should really retract my statement...not. The JBL I recommended made the good list, by the way. Yes, I've seen people who had Lanzar amps fail, and heard systems pushed with Lanzar amps, and can tell you a JBL is worth the extra money. I've never owned one because I saw Lanzar amps that failed, about 5 of them actually, which is why I've never owned one. Lanzar is better than Sony, etc., but not the best amps by any means. Anonymous, you are the one who admitted you'd get the amp "just for now" as if it's not good enough to last until later comes. And since you want to bring Glasswolf into it, read his post above. "cheapest good amps you'll find are by JBL or Cadence.

Kicker and MTX are the next step up. "
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us