Help fixing my amp

Username: Animex2

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 5
Hey, i have a MD-2618M Amplifier, 2000 watts peak, 600w RMS@ 4 ohm, with 2 Audiobahn AW1251T DVC subs wired to it like http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-o hm_2ch.jpg

now my gain has alaways been at max, and everything has been maxed out. today i re-wiered the subs beacuse i realised they were wiered incorectly, i only had 1 pos an 1 neg going out each channel of the amp to each sub, not connecting both voice coils or anything. so i decided to wire it like the image above. boy was the improvement huge.

i drove around bumping for about 10 min until i blew my original 5 amp fuse from the amp kit. i said f it and threw a 30 amp fuse in. (its right next to the car battery, not a fuse on the amp itself) beacuse if theres too much power, it will fry again, and if theres enough power but it spikes the amp will turn itself off.

now im good for about 20-25 min, until my amp turns itself off, im like, uh oh did the 30 amp fuse blow? nope, im good, the fuse is fine, look in the back and the protection light is on. I turn the car on (not starting the engine) im good, bumping goes on for 10 min + no problems. I turn the engine on, still good. I start to move, within 3 seconds of moving the amp turns itself off and goes into protection mode.

I tried turning the gain down, nope, still turns itself off when moving. Turned the volume and bass down, same thing. When not moving im good, when moving it goes off. All the wires are tight so im positive none are crossing over.

Anyone have any clue what this could be? One friend guessed the voltage goes up when you give the car gas, this could trigger the safety mechanism in the amp itself, but it never did it before. Could the fuse be doing something funky with the voltage? I cant figure this out at all.

Username: Animex2

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 6
also need to add this, 600w rms x2 = 1200/12 volts = 100 amps. Im using 8 Gauge wire, my speaker manual says no, minimum reccomended wire size is 4 gauge. could this be my problem? lack of voltage or somthing beacuse the wire is too small.

Bronze Member
Username: Dadydolas

Post Number: 85
lou you should post this in the subwoofers section theres usually alot more people in there

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 537
::rolls eyes:: hell yea it's the wire and 2nd you should never crank controls, bass boost should be off. the low pass at 80 hz and amp set with a 50 hz test tone. wit a multi meter on the speaker terminals in a/c mode with the sub dissconnected.
lastly you will prob need to start upgrading power wires and alternators at 1200 rms but i feel ur not doing rated power by any means oh and lastly never add a bigger fuse. it's there so u don't over tax the wire and have a fire. the 4 g in my car runs a max of a 120 amp fuse and i got 1200 watss on my car.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us