Is a Soundstream SC40 40 farad capacitor good? for about 200 bucks??

Bronze Member
Username: Khae

Post Number: 39
i was wondering is a sounderstream sc40 40 fard cap good? for a kicker zx1000.1 with a kicker l7 15 06 model

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3195
Wow, thats a huge waste of money. FYI capacitors dont do anything.......

Bronze Member
Username: Dadydolas

Post Number: 83
i thought caps could ease the strain on the electrical system so long as you have upgraded

Bronze Member
Username: Khae

Post Number: 40
i thought that they help the voltage spike since i read this thing n it says The difference between a capacitor and a battery is that a capacitor can dump its entire charge in a tiny fraction of a second, where a battery would take minutes to completely discharge itself.... so yeah

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5......ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Lord Protect...

Post Number: 524
No they dont help...How does a cap stay charged? from your battery. It just puts more of a strain on your system. Big 3 will help

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3198
^^^^ Yep what he said

Your stock electrical system may be OK for a 1000 watt amp. But if it's not, an HO alternator is the only way to fix that (a good car audio battery will help as well, but not without the alt). The alternator is the power source when the engine is running, a battery only stores power.

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 529
on a farad note, 40 farad is a extream waste. even if a cap helped u in my case it does by a slight bit even when i left my lights on. the point is the maximum u should ever go is 5 - 6 farad. if u go over that you defeat the purpose, the charge / discharge rate would acctually be so bad. it be like taggin on another amp to your system. play the game smart get a kinetic battery, do a 0 guage big 3 and get a high output alternator. which means high output when hot, not cold, keep that in mind.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6410
Caps are not useless, nor waste of money. You just need to use it properly. Go to bcae1.com and read.

"How does a cap stay charged? from your battery" is not entirely true. Battery releases stored energy. It's the alternator that produces power.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3272
Anything over 5 farads is a waste, the ESR is accumalative and over 5 farads expecially if carbon the ESR is so high that it negates the purpose of even having one. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1007
Keith what do you mean high out put when hot not cold? I have a Ho alt 250a and the hotter my car runs, the lower my volts drop. I can start my drive and get 14.3-14.5 volts and within 20mins of driving I sit around 13.2-13.4 with low vloumes.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3287
Naturally resistance in wire goes up with heat so as your alternator heats up, the reistance rises and voltage falls. It will be less noticeable on a cold winter day. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1008
Car is only used in Winter...dang.

Thanks though as I never knew that!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us