Amp problems (For experts only)

Bronze Member
Username: Mdcustoms

Grand Rapids, MI USA

Post Number: 17
I have 2 amps that broke at the same time. My subwoofer amp would light up but wouldn't give any power to the subs. When i took it apart i saw that some transistors were fried. Also some resistors looked a little fried too. I replaced the fried transistors and they just got fried again when i tried to start the car. I think that maybe the resistors might be bad. The amp is a Hifonics BX500D.
My second amp was for my back speakers. The problem with it is that the protection light is on and the light that goes on when it is on is pulsing. It makes a pouding noise in the speakers too. The amp is a Pheonix Gold 2 channel. I think that the problem might be like a capacitor or something.
Anyone have any ideas for what is wrong and if it is possible to fix.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2651
I suggest you ask the "experts at Best buy, or circuit city.
(Suggestion for noobs only)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6354
Sounds like you either have no luck or bad install. Not like the amps you had were of significant quality.
Since you "replaced" the transistors in the amp, it's out of warranty. Most likely you could've had incorrect gain/level setting on the amp, signal overload, shorting of speaker wire strands somewhere. Any of those could lead to amp failure.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3067
Replacing one transistor will not do. When one goes it usually means it takes the others on the same bank. This is why when you replaced the obvious bad ones (burnt) it fried again because there were others, not so obvious bad ones. The fets are designed to act as a high speed switch creating the AC current in music. When something causes them to stop switching, they send straight DC current to whatever connected to that channel this is what causes clipping and fries subs. It will probably be a minimum of $125 to fix the problem if you didn't make it worse, could be over $200. Honestly it may not be good enough of an amp to have fixed. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2653
Well, being in a better mood, I suggest you check the ground path. Also if amp is frying as soon as you turn on the car, It also suggests poor ground / power issues. What ohm load is on it? Put a meter on the rem, /power/ground and check for proper readings. 12-14 volts / o-.5 ohms / less then 7 volts.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1235
you need to send it to a professional and have them look at it. it could one of a million things by what ur saying. the power supply in the hifonics could be putting out too high of voltage or amperage in the chassis and thats causing things to blow or something, i couldnt tell you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us