Factory head unit linked to aftermarket amp&sub NEED HELP!

Username: Thahook00

Troy, OH US

Post Number: 1
OK, I have a question for all of you audio experts out there. I am in the process of installing an aftermarket amp & sub in my 07 Honda Civic EX coupe. I want to keep the vehicle as stock as possible in case I decide to trade it in a few years down the road. Because of this I have decided to keep the factory head unit. My plan as of right now is to simply unplug the factory subwoofer that is part of the "premium audio system." I will then splice into those leads and run them to the speaker level inputs(or high level inputs) of my aftermarket amp. With this setup I believe I will still be able to control the bass levels with my factory head unit. I am not to familiar with the speaker level inputs, but it sounds to good to be true! What are the advantages/disadvantages of the speaker level inputs? Is it a problem that my speaker level inputs into my aftermarket amplifier are coming from the stock premium audio amp? In other words my signal is going from the factory head unit to the factory amp and then to my aftermarket amp. Is this setup going to work at all? I would appreciate any feedback and/or advice that you all can provide. It is much appreciated! I am going to list the aftermarket components that I plan on installing below. Thanks!

(1) Kicker ZX400.1 Mono subwoofer amplifier 220 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
(1) Polk/Momo MM 2104 10" 4-ohm Component Subwoofer
(1) Q-Logic QLH-.6510SS Single 10" Hatch/Trunk Sealed Box-Vol=.65 cubic

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 141
It will sound like sh*t.
If you want to be able to re sell the car as stock
AND good SQ, get another HU and just keep the stock H/U and put it back in when you sell it. That is the best way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 75
yeah i gotta agree with Jerome on this one, i've always done this with every car that i've ever had.

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 11
yeah, you would be better off trying to find a signal before the factory sub amp if you can. Amps on top of amps is never good....that is why in aftermarket you use RCA to amp so you only have one amp instead of using deck power to the amp high level input. Amps make distortion and you multiply it when you amplify it.

Bronze Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 35
Bad idea. It wont work well. I did one of those a month or 2 ago, just get a line converter, splice it in with the rear speakers so you don't have to mess up your fancy dash, and run your rcas from that. for your acc wire look under the steering column for a thick red wire, test w/ a dmm for voltage when the key is on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us