Low pass crossover question. VERY URGENT

Bronze Member
Username: Shorterthanrich

Post Number: 82
I have a cuspid USA 4 channel amp. Its crappy, but I got it for like $25 from some kid. Its 4 channels 400 watts per channel peak. I cant find RMS information, but it's probably pushing 100 watts per channel RMS, hopefully.

anyway, i'm powering two ultra linear 300 watt RMS single voice coil subs with that amp. However there is no crossover on the amp, so it sounds like crap.
basically I need to know the cheapest thing I can buy to cut out the highs...and how is it hooked up? RCA in and RCA outs? Does it need to be powered? if so what guage wire.

for the record, this is not for me. I have a decent system. I'm doing this for a friend who has no money, and doesnt rly care about SQ. she just needs a bit of bass. so really, cheapest easiest thing please.

I need to install it soon so PLEASE HELP.
I appreciate it. I just have no experience with crossovers.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12031
cheapest solution is using a choke or coil on each speaker.
that's a first order low pass filter.
should run ya about $20.
any decent car audio shop should stock them. just know the power handling you need, and the impedance of the circuit to figure out the rating for the choke.

Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 2
If you can shop ebay or pawn shops for an active crossover or amp with a LPF in it. You might find one for $20 if you look hard enough. You can buy cheaper brand new ones for around double that like pyramid/boss/etc. They would work for that purpose.

Username: Indicapro

Nunya buzz, Cali USA

Post Number: 2
any local fleamarket will have a guy selling pyramid/boss/or someother sh!t brand active LPF only crossover. i just picked one up for a "friend" too at the flea mardet last week for 20 bucks brand new in the box.

radio shack used to have the pyramid X-over i gotatthe flea market like 7 years ago. any shop should have a cheapo LPF only active for under 30 bucks.

they will all be a cheaper brand models like ppyramid, boss, power acoustic, etc. but they all have one thing in common- THEY ALL WILL GET THE JOB DONE.

Username: Faroutdesign

St.ptersburg, Florida Usa

Post Number: 7
i would seriously recommend finding a 2 channel or mon block for efficency is not there with the four channel for your lows. however if you need a crossover for cheap cheap i would suggest crossing it over before amplification. crossing over in the rca levels can allow you to do alot of things like change the slope or raise the octave. since you have a 4 channel a signal driver/ crossover would be great since you will be splitting the signal twice on each channel" turning the gain all the way up adds distortion" but should you only have a few bucks there a couple stores which supply rca adapters with built in caps/ resistores that will block high end frequencys and its a male to female plug about an inche long connect one to each channel or before splitters

Silver Member
Username: Shorterthanrich

Post Number: 110
wow...this thread is over a year old. Sorry I never posted the completion... I just picked up a LPF for $20 from a local car audio place. Rigged it up and it worked alright. That amp was such total junk it was unreal. But, the subs did enough for her at the time.
Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us