Advice, opinions, help

Username: Anynigma

Greenville, South Carolina

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and essentially new to car audio. I drive a Acura RSX '06 base model, and I want more out of my stereo. There are six speakers in the system, but I assume they are component. I'd like to keep the stock speakers if possible.

I like tight, modest bass, with clear mids and highs. Basically, I want a new head unit, amplifier, and subwoofer that will give me a steady, even response curve as low as 18hz. I also want to avoid spending much more than $300. I think 300 watts RMS would be a little more than I need, but showing off some loud bass isn't something I want to avoid. Im open to any size of woofer, as long as it actually will give me clean, even response down to the low frequencies.

So, since this post is in the amplifier thread, does anyone have some advice as to what amplifier I should look for that would let me stay in my price range. Advice on any component of the system would be appreciated, but I figured the amp would be a good place to start.

Please let me know if you need any more information to help me. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4627
you will not be able to keep your stock system if you want all of that.

if your just looking for a sub i would get a soundsplinter RL-I 10" and a PG x400.1

but 300$ is basically nothing to work with

Post Number: 2
I want a new head unit as well, I'm just trying to keep the stock speakers, you think those will need to be changed? I'm looking for used items, but I can go higher if the need arises...

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4632
i though you wanted new speakers. anyway if you like the ones you have then you dont need new ones. for a head unit look into eclipse, pioneer clarion and stuff like that. anything nice is giong to cost you. for a decent used HU your still looking at ~200$

but i would go with that sub/amp combo i listed above.

Silver Member
Username: Cried

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 413
You can't forget about the box. You'll need one to put your sub in ;). I would recommend a ported box and running a 10" sub like Mat suggested. If you decide to go to your local audio shop and pick up a prefabricated sub box, you might as well not even waste your money on subs. The sub box is the most crucial part a system. It can make the 'best subs in the world' sound liek crap without the right box. Once you decide on a subwoofer, I and others can help you figure out a box that would suit it the best. I build boxes and would by happy to assist you. I just sold my 10" sub box today, but can make another one if you're interested. I'll post pictures of it so you can get an idea of what it would look like. I can probaly build one similar to this for you for around $95 shipped. It would be ported, carpeted, and I can instal terminal cups for you. Good luck, and let me know if you have any additional questions.
Upload
Upload

Post Number: 3
If I wanted a tighter, more controlled sound, should I go with a 12" with a little more power and a sealed box? Thats what I was told a little while ago, but it may not be entirely correct.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4639
sub size wont make a difference aside from loudness really if they are well made. sealed boxes are good they will give you good response and allow the sub to play high. ported boxes can also sound great and the sub will be able to get louder and will have more deep low end.

Post Number: 5
so a ported box would be better if i went with a lower power set up for more volume at the low end, and a sealed box would be better with a higher power setup for more accuracy?

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 416
i guess you could say more accuracy if the box was sealed, but more output in a ported box. Are you going to need a box built? I could assist you.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4648
in a well made/ designed box ported and sealed will basically sound the same accuracy wise. output wise the ported will be better. if you have the space for ported definatly go with one.

Post Number: 6
How does a Kicker 06ZX300.1 compare to the PG? Also, what about an RD audio studio series sub?

Silver Member

Erie, PA US

Post Number: 421
Kicker FTW, my friend had that exact amp except the kx series, which just looked a bit different and it was teh sh!t man. Id take the kicker over PG, but thats just me, im a kicker kinda guy.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4715
i'd go with the xenon. great amp, wish i never would have sold the pair of 400.1s' i had. you'll see a little more than 400wrms from it, and stable 1-4ohm for more wiring options if you ever change subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Shorterthanrich

Post Number: 81
Any other sub suggestions besides the RD? Whats a good budget 12"? What benefits do a 15" offer?

I suggested the RD audio because they're great and priced well, but he doesn't need to get them. I've heard great things about about that kicker amp. Is there a Cadence amp that has that low power? Cadence are excellent.

Anyone selling used equipment?

Username: Dj_tipsy

London

Post Number: 4
i suggest instead of all that, and you price is that tight go for a jbl 12" subwoofer, package, you can from ebay for 100-150 pounds so around 300$ they kick quite a bit, i used to have one in a corsa and it was PERFECT. Also a cheap headunit would be something like a sony, or a simple blankpunt one, as long as it has 1 preout and your set!

A 15" subwoofer needs a lot of space, espically the correct enclosuers, although genrally as theh size of the subwoofer goes up so do pricing although the bass that it drops to goes lower.

But with your buget stick with simple yet quite powerful stuff, also later on if you want to upgrade put the stuff back on ebay, you will get 80% back of what you spent and then add a bit more money and upgrade, as simple as that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us