Amp Trouble... Please help

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 692
My mtx TA 81001 (1500 watts rms @ 1 ohm) seems to be draining my battery badly. The weird thing is that it doesn't happen while its running, it happens when I turn off the car and leave it for a few hours...

When I shut it off, I'm at 14 volts, when I wake up the next day, my battery is at 8 volts. I have yellow top and a 240 amp alternator installed but this still happens...anyone know what the deal is with this amp or a possible solution? please don't say another battery and isolator...don't really have room...what else?

also, this is probably for another thread, but I get a popping noise when I change sources (CD to ipod, ipod to xm, etc), what could that be?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 5020
Does your amp turn off when you turn the car off?

Make sure you dont have a constant 12v remote going to the amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 697
It does stay on...it only turns off if I remove the battery terminal off its post. However, had the same 12v remote connected to a 750 watt rms phoenix gold amp and it didn't do this...

where could I access a 12v remote that isn't constant in the car?

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 460
Does your headunit have a remote wire, if so, use that. If not, find a fuse slot in your car that only works when the car is on (you can do this with a test light or a multimeter). Then run a wire from that to your amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 698
it should, its a pioneer premier 960mp...i'll have to take a look. thanks guys.

how about the popping noise described in the first post?

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 462
Possibly a ground problem, I'm not too sure. Sorry man but there is alot more other people that could help. Also how could you forget to wire up a remote wire :p

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 100
it's your rem, the reason why the batts draining is there is constant power draw due to the amp being on. the rem aka remote wire must be connected to the amp otherwise u will get 2 things ether u have a rem but it just supplys current one way so it turned your amp on and it's been on ever since or your amp never turns on. so what it is , you have a 12 volt source prob goin to it which i think you messed up and ran the clock wire to it instead of the rem wire. to the amp and this cause your whole problem. retrace back to your head unitand find your rem ussually blue tagged but yea i deff say u reversed your clock and rem wire by accident.

Silver Member

Post Number: 699
problem fixed guys...thanks very much for the suggestions and help...I had tapped into the cigarette lighter power supply since I never use it and didn't realize that in Pontiac cars, they power it all the time, even if the car was off.

BUT...I still get the popping noise, I thought one of the rcas was touching another or something but that wasn't it. Maybe something internal on the radio broken? What do you guys think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
it's fairly common i forget the cause though but it's to do with wires not a component. ur radio is fine. i just forget the cause i'm sure someoneelse here knows. btw yea pontiacs are tricky sob's i had to tap into a heater control knob power to run the head unit on my exe's car.

Username: Dj_tipsy

London

Post Number: 8
popping is causing by a setting on your amplifier, on dls amplifer there is a hi and low setting, im not sure about yours, this stops the popping. Take a look at the settings on you amplifier and refer back to the manual.

Although generally this accors with all sounds in cars so dont be worried.

Silver Member

Post Number: 702
jayan, i'm not talking about when you first turn on the car or power off...I'm talking about when I switch sources or music or change the radio's eq or change the volume from 0 to 1...its a very irrating, loud pop. It's not a sound that is normal in any way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
i been thinking abou this for the past day and think i remember what it is. it's do to power being turned on and off by switching ur power to a diff source, kind of like slaming on ur breaks to make a turn, your gonna feel the jerk of the car. same thing on switching. your cutting your soound to output sound from something else. same as if u grab a records needle while playing and change the disc and redrop it on a new record u get almost sme result. i'm pretty sure tats the cause and if ur volume was low when done it would lessen that loudness it gives.

Silver Member

Post Number: 706
na...the loudness doesn't change...when the volume is lower, I can just hear it clearer because their is no other sound. I'm going to try to re-route my rcas and see if I get it right so I'll keep you guys updated.

Username: Vt_ahole

USA

Post Number: 1
i used to have a panasonic head unit and i got the same popping noise... after some testing i found out that it was my sub RCA out inside the head unit; when i disconnected the RCA's the sound went away. I tried different wires and amps and that didnt fix the problem. Pissed me off... i had to get a new head unit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us