Help me Pimp my Golf Cart!

Username: Rok

Post Number: 2
Need some suggestions on sound for my Club Car...
First of all, this cart is 48v, so I plan on putting a separate 12v marine battery somewhere to power the system. My goal is to have a nice sounding system that would be somewhat economical and out do my neighbor friends with there 5" speakers and H/U.LOL (Man they sound BAD!)

Here's where I need help and suggestions, so if you don't mind please point me in the right direction. (It's a jungle out there)

1. Amp suggestion that would be efficient on the 12v battery. If there is such an animal?

2.Speakers, size and how many to get a good full sound in an open environment.

3.Based on your suggestions, estimate the play time I would get on the battery at full charge if you can.

4. H/U: I'll probably use something simple that has a USB port on the front. Maybe one of Sony's new offerings.

I have a older moldel RF 10" series 1 sub I thought about using for now, still figuring out where to mount if I use it.

The body is being painted as we speak and I have some chrome American Racing wheels on the way. While I have the body off, I want make sure the battery is in place and ready for sound. I'm having fun with this project but Stereo configuration is not my strong point.

Thanks for all the help!

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1369
the problem is even if u fully charge the batt the sub will drain it right down so you wont even have 12volts for long so it rly wouldnt work u would need some way to keep the battery charged. mabey a converter from 48volts to 12volts

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1370
does the golf cart have a cigarrett adapter?

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 95
i know this has been done before a few good times, you need a converter to transfer your power. i think you could even use a solar charger. i meade a system in a book bag with amp 2, 12 inch speakers and a 6 inch radio shack sub. it ran off 2 rc battery packs. got realyy loud and hurt your years so it did it's job. the problem is, is your cart a gas powered or is it a acctual plug in charge electric? if it's gas you might get away fine with a converter.

Username: Rok

Post Number: 3
No, there is not a cigarette plug... I hear what you guys are saying, but I've read where it's been done. the question is how long did it last?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what could I get the best sound from that might last me a couple 3 hours before I need to recharge. I would just like something that sounds decent for those trips to the pool, driving range and cruzing the neighborhood. Perhaps I don't need a sub, but a little thump would be fun.LOL... Maybe a small amp and some decent full range speakers would do the trick, but where would I start? Suggestions?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3202
Get yourself two 16volt batteries and install a voltmeter onboard so that way you'll know if you're ever about to drop below 12 volts and damage your system.Just make sure to charge them up every other day :-)

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 7606
If money isn't a concern get yourself A 120w solar panel and mount it on the roof of the cart, no room for two. You'll need a charge controller between the battery and panel to protect the battery. This way when you're cruising around in the sun anyway you'll at least be charging the battery you're draining with the radio.

I ask if money is an issue cause that solar panel will run you anywhere from $5-$10/watt. Fun project though. When you shop for the deep cycle battery look at the amphr rating. Based on the draw you take from the radio you can estimate how much time you have with it. The solar panel will help offset that draw as well as charge while it's sitting.

Are you in Florida/Cali? Good sun=3-5 hrs of stable charging a day. Even a 75w panel would help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us