Amp burning up

Bronze Member
Username: Vash3000

Post Number: 35
I got an old school Soundstream Reference 1000SX amp pushing 2 JL 10W7 bridged to 1.5 ohms. My amp is suppose to do 1000 watts to 2 ohms and 1 ohms bridged, but the amp keeps heating up. It gets to the point where I cant even place my hand on the for more than 10 seconds. The amp heats up after about 10 mins being played at half volume, but the good thing is that I played it for about more than 30 mins at that sound level and the amp being as hot as it is has not yet shut down. Is something wrong with my amp or is this how the amp is? Also the 2 jl subs are rated at 500 watts.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2488
If it does not go into thermal protect mode, it's fine. Some amps just run hot.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2669
If your amp is not rated stable at the ohm load you're running it at you should be very careful.You could do some case modding or install fans to help keep it cool,watch that amp or you might blow it up.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 127
Is it a class A/B amp or class D. if its A/B then it just runs hot/warm. its just the design of the amp.

class D is much cooler running and efficient. So if you're amp is a class D then i would be careful as it is not supposed to get that hot that fast (assuming its not hot outside).

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2510
^^^^ You can't use the amp topology to judge how hot it should be. Some class D amps just run hot.

Most amplifiers have thermal protection built in, which turns off the amp when the internal temperature gets too high. If you amp is not turning off, it is most likely just fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Vash3000

Post Number: 36
I have no idea if the amp is ab or d amp because the amp has a switch which i can put it in either stereo mode or bridged mono so im guessing its a mixture of both but I dont know. The amp seems to be one of Soundstreams great line of amps but dont know much about it. I was hoping someone can tell me about this amp. Also I hear distortion coming from the subs at half volume and the input on the amp is set to half if not a little less than half. Does that mean the amp isnt strong enuf to push my subs?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2525
If it has stereo mode, it's a class AB amp.

" Also I hear distortion coming from the subs ... Does that mean the amp isnt strong enuf to push my subs? "

It means your gain is set wrong. Use this tutorial:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

And this calculator to figure out your target voltage:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us