Infinity or Alpine ?

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 31
i have the infinity 611 a amp it says it pushes out 456rms per channel at 4 ohm load. the gains were incorrectly set for almost a year and a half,i' a bit worried for internal starin so i'm using the warrenty i have. best buy said they don't carry that model anymore but can get store credit or a diff infinity. i looked at the one they have by infinity, its rated at 400 rms per channel at 4 ohm and they had some mono alpines. whats my best bet? i'm running 4 infinity subs,
i have the 2 infinity 10's at 1052watts and 250 watt rms a piece,
along with 2, 12's at 1252 watts and 300 watt rms a piece, dual voice coils for both in 2 sealed boxes.

i have about 280 in store credit if i turn it in, but i want equal or more power nothing lower or should i go lower??????? does infinity's new series go over 400 rms? is a class a-b better or my d class i have? should i move to a alpine and even if it says mono is it 2 channel? cause i'm getting confused i seen a few mono amps with 2 channels and it dosen't make sense. i got my subs at 4 oms per box for 4 woofers so basiclly 4 ohms per channel. any help greatly apperciated .

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2385
I would say Alpine is better quality. But you don't need a new amp if yours is working fine. Having the gain set wrong damages the subs, not the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
everything just seems loose at the bottom of a drop. like i get nice harmonic punch then it gets a little loose till it re hits. just sounds a little sloppy. is it ok though that i set the gain my clip light stayed on so i backed it down? does gain only do damage if its to high? not to low?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
one last thing can u recommend a alpine or infinity, or alpine model for my setup i wouldn't care. but my warrentys runnin out so why not score a new amp with plenty of life in it?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2388
I would get an Alpine.... no specific model, whatever class D amp they have that does enough power for your subs at the right ohms.

Bronze Member
Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 35
I think your a little confused on the mono amps that appear to have two channels. What appears to be two channels is a hook up for two speakers. Though it is two pos and two negs they are only one channel. The two pos both go to the same circuit internally as does the two negs to just one internal neg circuit. They are made with two hook ups just as a matter of convienence in wiring up multiple speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
but wouldn't the logical choice be 2 ch cause of the 4 woofers? i assume a mono would be hurting to run them?

Bronze Member
Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 38
If I understand you correctly you have two different sizes of subs. If so then you can't run them on the same amp anyway. You would be best to dump the two 10" subs and just run the two 12s on a good mono amp. If you insist on running th 4 subs as is, then you need two mono amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
it is 2 diff size woofers the ohm loads the same for both since thir both dual voice coil. i been running them for over a year till incorrect gain did me in. other wise they sound almost to powerful and at lower volumes the 10s seem to give a stronger punch so idk i haven't had to much of a issue other then a bit of loose muddy like at times.

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1358
Keith, let's get all this cleared up once and for all. Is your infinity amp broken? If it is, like M.S. said - it's not because the gain was set too high. Not sure how exactly you were running 4 different subs off the same 450W amp, but you shouldn't do that. If I'm doing the math correctly, and I know I am, 200+200+300+300=1000. If you're set on running all 4 subs, you need 2 separate (yes, 1 channel) amps - one that does ~400W rms and the other ~600W rms. If you're getting some distorted sound, it's probably because one or more woofers may be damaged and you'll find out that replacing the amp did not solve the problem.

If, in some mysterious way, your diagnosis is correct and you do need a new amp - get an alpine over infinity, and you will need 2 of them. If you get 1 amp, dump the 10s and use the 12s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
i wasn't stating my amp has blown, just that it's life i'm sure has been decreased, i still have a warrenty on it with best buy, so i figure if thier just gonna give me store credit. i will get a diff brand. yes i have different subs as i stated 2 10's, 2 12' all by infinity i only have been trying to run the 4 cause i had gotten the 10's on sale then the 12's on sale when i had 2 cars. then i got put to one car. and was told by best buy to get the infinity amp at 456 rms x1 at 4 ohm with 2 connectors for 2 sets of subs.

so i wired the 2, 10's to 4 ohm an the 2, 12's at 4 ohm. i just seems to get a little loose at high peaks. i was also told that 12's can't deliver a snappy punch like 10's can 12's get loose. so idk that's why i'm asking so much. i just need clear direction , woofers and amp are one thing to install but after that i'm lost. so one more thing will the 12s if i stick with them kick harder then all 4 ? cause right now i can pretty much make my ears bleed.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1362
I can almost guarantee you're clipping your subs to death, especially with the gain set too high. The peaks are distorted for you because your amp is not powerful enough. If they're really wired to a final 2ohm load, the amp says it'll put out 657W rms into 2ohms. 657W is about half the power you'll need for all 4 subs. I initially miscalculated, so you'll need separate 600W and 500W amps for each set of subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Oleg i'm really trying to keep the peace. i really hope your not irritated by me. they were wired at 4 ohm per channel but the amps actually a single channel just 2 outputs they system is like this it standsright now. and keep in min my clip light only flashes at peaks infinity says its normal. ok heres how i stand i have the 2 10's wired to 4 ohm on the left channel. bare with me caus the amps mono but has like 2 ch hook up, in another seperate box i have my 2 12's at 4 ohm load. another amp is not feasable on this car i'd have to take a box out by ur info. all my speakers were just replace last week which is why i'm askin so i can do it right myself before everything gets damaged. so to power just 2, 12's do u think this alpine will suffice and give me just as much bass as they way i was setup before and will they not get loose as i've heard ?http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8222345&st=alpine&type=product&id= 1166840026929

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
lastly oleg i followed the tut on here before running them. so gains doin just fine.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1363
I'm not sure what you mean by keeping the peace, but that's the way we help out here...we say it like it is and I mean nothing else by that except exactly what I say. I'm only helping you. The alpine amp should be better.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2400
If you're running different size subs in the same car, you've got bigger problems to think about than what amp to get....... lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
calm down m.s. it was 2 10's and 10 12's but for now i'll chjange out to a alpine amp sell the 10's keep the 12's i kind of got no other choice thiers no way i can run 2 amps theres 2 pos cables on the car already then i had to get the extension terminal that barely fit my amp cable safely. so i'll just get the alpine and sell my 10's , after all thier all brand new replace barely a week ago and thiers nothing wrong with the new ones cause they were only tried 2 times so i'll just sell them with the box for like 250
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us