PCNC-4.0F capacitor question

Bronze Member
Username: Justin_15_07

Manitou Beach, Michigan United States

Post Number: 62
My names jamies aebersold, and i was suposed to get a 4 farad cap from ebay, but somehow i got a 6.0 farad PCNC-4.0F and it has 2 postive enteries, and 2 negative an di have to 2 amps, how do i wire it up?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2356
Install it? Return it and get your money back since capacitors don't do a damn thing..... if someone told you that would stop the lights from dimming of something like that you're in for a disappointment when you install it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
is there any way you can tell me how to do it, that way if it doesnt do anything ill send it back

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2357
I just looked that up and it says it's 24 volts..... if that's true you can't use it with a normal car electrical system.

Also, don't get another capacitor..... save your money. If your electrical system is not keeping with the current draw from the amp, an HO alternator is only way to fix that.

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 27
ok heres what u do bud i have a tsunami 5 farad same connections. m.s. i know u hate caps but u could help him out a little. i know the feeling when youre told u bought something useless and u haven't even tried it and noone will help u its not fun. ok , theres 2 issues one u need to charge it which i hope you got a resistor with it. u need a certain ohm resistor to charge it ussually to a little above 12 volts. but the resistor if u do have one will get very got be careful. once charged heres how install goes. u run ur main positive into the positive into the positive side on the other side put int a short wire around 6 inches or less if possible. then u do the same for negitive. bassiclly when done it should be like this.

-----neg line-----cap---amp

-----pos line---cap----amp

now u have 2 power feeds intercepted by the cap.

heres one issue and tip to take with u. depending on the amp thae cap can be useless do to the way certain amps draw current. the way caps are, generally when u go ove 3 or 5 farad ur capsdischarge to charge ratio has gone down so much it's useless. so thats how it's installed and good luck with everything.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2375
I don't hate capacitors, I hate companies that market them claiming to help your electrical system or stop your lights from dimming, both of which are false.

They are useful when used properly, i.e. amplifiers have several small capacitors built into them. Think about it, if any more capacitance was needed the amp manufacturer would have built it in.

And if it is actually 24 volts like the description said, it won't work in a car electrical system. I've never seen a 24 volt cap that looks like that before, so IDK if thats right.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
this is very true, not tryin to argue , M.S. just my cap has worked to a better part but in a sense it mostly depend what u listen to my bass hits are hard but few and far apart so it works very well, no hard feelings man. 24 volts? really? ::does research::

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
the things 24 volts like M.S. said but its power accoustik i haven't heard any friendly things about them . i say return it, even if it does work its 12 pounds will take forever to recharge and the reason u got a 6 farad is, the 4.0 f i think refers to model not farad from what i just looked up.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 561
thats the same brand most people buy when they get one. they are for the dirt.

Anyway, as stated caps do nothing without a high output alternator. I have a high output alternator and I truely believe the cap helps get the power to the amps in a better way than without it. It does NOT create power or even store large quantities, it pulls power from the alternator and gives it to the amps for bursts.

And no one is trying to be mean when saying they are "useless", but w/o a ho alt they are more harmful than good...

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2404
Even with an HO alt they make zero difference. A long time ago I did a test to find out for myself is capacitors actually did do anything: I played a system with the amplifier hooked directly to the battery, then installed a cap right before the amp, played it again, and no audible change.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
thanks, i have 2 PA 1920 amps, and im running the power into the positive side, then the wire thats coming out of hte cap into a distribution block and into the amps, and then on the ground running a ground into the cap, and from the cap into another distribution block and into my amps? does that sound good i have 0 gauge wire and will distribute it into 2 4 gauges

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
thanks, i have 2 PA 1920 amps, and im running the power into the positive side, then the wire thats coming out of hte cap into a distribution block and into the amps, and then on the ground running a ground into the cap, and from the cap into another distribution block and into my amps? does that sound good i have 0 gauge wire and will distribute it into 2 4 gauges

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1300
FWIW - there's nothing wrong with the cap being 24v. You can use a bazillion volt capacitor if you want, but no matter how big, it will only charge to a voltage that equals your alternator. 16v caps are common, 24v are fairly common as well.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2589
"Even with an HO alt they make zero difference. A long time ago I did a test to find out for myself is capacitors actually did do anything: I played a system with the amplifier hooked directly to the battery, then installed a cap right before the amp, played it again, and no audible change."

Heh.That's all I'm going to say :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
best thing i can show you. Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
and then can i put a distribution block on the output lines so i can wire up 2 amps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
on the positive and negatives

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
i think u will be over taxing things to the point of where that cap will be a shiny ornament. i'd try to figure something else out. u gotta realize a capacitor of that size is under advantage as it is. now ur making it completely usless times 2. ur burying yourself if you split it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
should i get a 4 farad instead then, or is smaller going to be worse, all i have to do is send it back adn get the 4 farad i actually ordered, they send the wrong one?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
justin, justin, justin, ur getting ahead of yourself. like i been telling you capacitors are a fine line between working to ur advantage and useless. you should only run the cap to 1 amp, a smaller farad will help charge/disscharge factor but will not help a 2 amp system. typicaly 2 caps are wired in a series, your best bet here is select a amp. you run i assume one for subs one for speakers, designate it for your subs. still ur beating a dead horse. you could return it for the other farad it will put a faster disscharge/charge ratio. but no matter what you will make it useless for what little advantage that cap give you pretty much useless with 2 amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
I only have one 2 farad cap and two amps, i dont think mine is useless... still no matter what people tell me I think it replaces the need for a battery in back for less powerful systems with HO alternators...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
actually i have both amps bridged individually to 2 subs, i got a good deal on them should i try only running the cap to one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
no run both off the cap. should be no problem, that what im doing with my 2 channel amp for my comps and my sub amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us