Ok To Clip ?

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 15
i been messing with my system all day i have 4 infinity subs at a 4 ohm load. so i set my gain set my crossovers around 50 hz and almost crapped at how loud this thing came to be from all the times the gain was never set like this, so anywho i realized after setting it my one eq setting i think sla something was still on and i thought it was off. well i re tuned it and now at the correct voltage with sublime my clip light was fluttering on and off at heavy hits so without a meter i turned the gain down trying to eliminate clip but i turned the gain down decently and i don't wanna go much more but the clip light flashes on deep bass hits. is this ok and will sufice? plus my volumes a little low and i upped the sla plus set crossover on my pioneer hu for high pass 80 hz i believe and turned my mid setting up by 5 i still got an overwhelming amount of bass apposed to when i set it up with the eq on 4 where my system sounded pretty well balenced. should i go back to tuning it with eq set to 4 and just adjust my other settings to balence audio or should everything be of like it is now and the flashing clip lights find? keep in mind i had no light flash the other way and my interior lights made no blink nothing on the heaviest bass hits, and now besides clip light flash i get a tiny dim on and off with bass hits from interior lights. any advice????

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4590
clipping is never ok you know, cuz that's bad. But depends in the amount.

Tell us your system and the size of your alt.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2348
Clipping is bad. Very bad.

Set your gain the right way:

Use this calculator:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

And this tutorial:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i tuned everything to what that tutorial said and my clip light was flashing so like i said i turned it down without a volt meter attached at that time to try and eliminate clip, i got it to stay off until really heavey heavy bass hits like in the cd sublime and at a volume of 35 that goes to 62. the cars alt idk it's a oldsmobile 93, eighty eight 4 door 6 cyl.

ok heres my setup , a infinity 611a reference series amp with specs
of this 456w rms x 1 channel at 4 ohms and <1% thd + n
signal to noise ratio. 70dba (reference 1w into 4 ohms) 657w rms x 1
channel at 2ohms, 14.4v supply and <1% thd + n, Dynamic power 761 w at
2 ohms
effective damping factor 6.336 at 4 ohms
frequency response 17hz - 251hz, (-3db)
maximum signal input : 6v maximum senseitivity 75mv.
output regulation 179 db at 4 ohms

i have the 2 infinity 10's at 1052watts and 250 watt rms,
along with 2, 12's at 1252 watts and 300 watt rms.
dual voice coils for both in 2 sealed boxes

with a pioneer 4800 mp at 50x 4 rms

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2349
If you set the gain according to that procedure and it still clips, then your amp isn't producing it's rated power. Either the amp is overrated or your electrical system voltage is dropping.

In any case, just turn it down until it doesn't clip anymore.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
is it possible it has been damaged? because i had the amp for a year. at best buy installer tuned it up for me, and he didn't ever use a tool on it he just listened and turned knobs. i should of done like i did with the install and did a the tuning myself cause a year later the woofers blew. i have everything under warrenty, it goes bad i get a new one, no cost. so i replaced the woofers and i'm now doing everything the right way. so should the amp be replaced??

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2384
Clip: Indicates the amplifier is being overdriven,
and your speakers may be in danger. This
should blink only on musical peaks, and not
be on constantly.

From the owners manual. The clip light does blink. Its normal for Eclipse.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
i appriciate the info except its a infinity amp but ether way i think i'll replace the amp under warrenty tomm to be safe and re tune.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2351
No the amp is not damaged. Just set the gain correctly, and listen to Marc: If he says it's normal for the light to blink, then it should be fine. I assume he has experience with that amp.

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

C.FREE

Post Number: 1120
no ur clpping is fine. its wen the clip light stays on its bad, read ur instruction manual, i had an infinity ref. 611a

Silver Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 212
umm...what gauge wire you got running to the amps?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
at the moment i believe its 4 gauge its a rock ford fosgate 1000 watt kit for the wires thier about a year and a half old but i have new ends re cut and added for the olds so its fresh wire at the ends but the battery clips the same. otherwise everything runs ok it hits so effen hard my father has this steel tube canopy about 40 ft from my car where it was parked and all the tubes in the canopy were rattleing the bass just hits like never before its acctually painful anywhere near mid volume. my ears actually hurt from the preassure standing behind the car so thats why i'm makin sure everythings alright. i never had a big system but i migght of jumped from an ok system to a monster.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
i've checked the pdf cause for some reason when i bought my amp at bb i never got a book it does acctually state its ok to flash so i guess i'm all clear but the amp has been incorrectly driven for almost a year so tomm i prob will use the warrenty but it does one hell of a job, infinity i herd of for years but just recently thier audio showed up at best buy so what do u guys think are they some real decent stuff or a brand destined to be ranked as a rockford which i know used to be good but now ranks close to audibahn or dual from what i've heard.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2385
Sorry, I meant infinity.
Yes, I did have one. Here I am reading the manual.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: _jay_

Post Number: 205
ROFL!!!!!good memories....btw..ur dog has a stubby tail lol..whats the kicker box for? wow...i didn't know that u were a remote dealer also..haa j\p!!

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2481
lol Jay, this is the setup Marc had in his van:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/313839.html

Bronze Member
Username: Breakdown

Post Number: 12
clipping isnt necessarily dangerous but for sonic reasons, probly best to avoid

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
i backed my gain down, my sytems not ear bleeding as it was. but the truth is i want to enjoy it, not go deaf. it's fine i still got plenty of bump in the trunk without the power demanding scream my system was doing and demanding. i can live with for my standards above average bass as apposed to the extream bass.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Kingkong ain... I got Chuck ...

Post Number: 2846
" don't wanna go much more but the clip light flashes on deep bass hits. is this ok and will sufice?"

"should blink only on musical peaks, and not
be on constantly. " -Marc

Does that answer the question?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us