Amount of current, affect how many watts?

Silver Member
Username: Quig

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 443
ok currently im running PG octane R 15:0:1 to a mb quart.. i have a 80 amp fuse on it, but i have an anl fuse 120 amps.... would it harm the amp to use the anl fuse, and will it make a difference? please someone explain in detail

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2311
DO NOT install a fuse larger the what is specified. That would defeat the purpose of having a fuse.

Silver Member
Username: Super_mario

Post Number: 257
Hey ms wouldnt he be using the fuse to protect the wire running underneath his carpet. I mean lets say he has 4guage and it handles a max of 150amps without it melting or whatever. He is okay to put that 120amp fuse close to the battery since the amp is already protected with its own fuse. I always thought that's what the purpose of the fuse near the battery was for.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 152-153db Da... My wangers b...

Post Number: 2733
The fuse near the battery is for a few things, They suggest to put it by the battery so that if your wire cuts\melts it will blow the fuse and not ground out and trash the battery\eleectric system. If you have batterys in the rear you want a fuse between them and the amp as well.. I have a 200A under my hood and a 100A in the rear right before the amp coming off the rear battery. Try to find a 80A fuse or somthing as close as possbile, you can go a lil lower because most fuses dont blow at what its rated for and it actually takes a bit more and some constant time with it..

Silver Member

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 450
so my questions still wasnt answers, if i had an 80 amp fuse, and a 60 amp fuse... would i hear a huge difference in how much watts my amp will put out?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2312
1. You cannot install a fuse larger than what your wire is rated for (what gauge wire are you running?)

2. If you are not blowing fuses, your current fuse size is sufficient for your amplifier/wire.

Silver Member

PgH, PA US

Post Number: 457
4 gauge wire, im not sure what this amp is rated, becuz i dont have the manual for it, couldtn find it online.

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Audioque...N...

Post Number: 287
A larger fuse will not make your system louder...No you will not hear a difference..Like M.S. said if the fuses are not blowing you are OK...With 4gauge wire I would not go over a 140 fuse.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2315
125 amps is the maximum fuse size for 4 gauge wire. Using a fuse smaller than that is fine, if your amps current draw is less than the fuse size.

Read here for more on fuses:

http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us