Memphis 16-PR1KD problems and amp replacement suggestions

Username: Smoking_bull

Wichatitty, Kansas USA

Post Number: 1
I have (2) 12" Kicker CompCVR dvc 4 ohm subs. I have a Memphis 16-PR1KD that is 1 ohm stable that supplies 1000 watts @ 1 ohm. my subs are good for 400 watts rms each so I figured a 1000 watt amp would be good for them.

Unfortunately my Memphis amp is doing weird things, such as sending feed back through the speakers that is causing a smacking sound (like the voice coils are smacking against the back of the speaker, kind of a popping sound). When the subs play they sound great but they only play for one or two minutes before weird things begin happening like all three 25 amp fuses blowing on the amp along with the feed back problem. I've opened the amp up and everyhting looks good and clean (no loose connections, no burnt componets or melted soldering) although I can't see the back of the board because I don't want to pry on it.

Is this Memphis amp good enough to have repairs made or should I go Shopping? I've priced the Memphis 16PRD1000.1, US Amps XT-2000D, Kicker KX1200.1, and a Hifonics BXI1206D.

I have read that everbody likes the name brands over the Hifonics but I owned a 4 ch hifonics back in the day that pushed my kickers at the time nicely. Which amp do you think would be the best set up for the kickers I plan to use? I am using 4 gauge power wire and ground (Ground location is kind of cheesed out but good enough I think) and my HU is a Pioneer Avic N-3.

What are your thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1223
If you can get the memphis fixed for a reasonable price, then do it - it's a good amp. If you can't, then go for the kicker kx1200.1 - it's pretty cheap and is also a great amp.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2109
I am starting to dislike Memphis more and more these days. I have seen a ton of them having problems lately, this is just the latest. In fact I will go as far as to say the don't seem to be much better than Hifonics anymore, and that's budget equipment......

Now on to better amps, the US Amps is by far the best one you mentioned. The Kicker is also good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us