Memphis mcd1500 1500 watt amp amperage draw????

Bronze Member
Username: Mesodumm

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 17
does anyone know what the amperage max draw is? I contacted Memphis last friday and have not heard back yet. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 486
104-120

1500/14.4=104
1500/12.5=120

correct me if im wrong someone.....

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2104
I will correct you; those numbers are wrong unless you've got a 100% efficient amp (not possible).

Maximum current draw for a 1500 watt class D amp (assuming ~80% efficiency) will be about:

150 amps at 12 volts
128 amps at 14 volts

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1280
"150 amps at 12 volts
128 amps at 14 volts"

agreed if you like to play test tones at full volume 24/7.

If you plan to play music...
40-50A rms at full volume.

probably quite a bit less under normal listening conditions

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2113
^^^^^

That's why I said MAXIMUM current draw, that is what he asked for.

Bronze Member
Username: Mesodumm

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 22
Thanks for all input!!! you all got back to me before Memphis did!!! here is there responce!!

We would recommend a much lower gain setting and a much lower LPF setting for your MCD1500.
Try to keep the gain down below halfway if possible, and set the LPF to 80hz or less. If your enclosure
is ported, turn on the subsonic filter around the tuning frequency underneath the box.

The "average" current draw can only be determined whenever you use the amp. Audio is so dynamic that
you only really demand heavy current from the amp on peaks. If your listening habits are more towards
a medium to upper volume level on average, you may draw from 50 to 100 amps. Be aware that the fuse
values that equal 150 amps may be temporarily exceeded on heavy bass peaks (up to 200 amps) but it most
likely will not be too much to blow the fuses since it happens so quickly.

Thanks for your questions-
Memphis Car Audio Tech Support
"""""""second question was if 106 alternator and yellow top Optima would work.""""""""""

Actually, a 106 amp alternator is a bit on the light duty side. It would be great to upgrade to 150-200 amps at idle.
Or you can purchase multiple 1 farad capacitors (1CBFMT) from our line that should help out. The main concept
you want to establish is that your battery voltage isn't dipping down to 12 volts or lower. You want to keep it as high
as possible and if what you're currently running accomplishes that, you're fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us