Alternator and power help !

Bronze Member
Username: Newkid77

Columbus, Ohio

Post Number: 45
I am going to install a 2400 watt amplifier with two subs. Right now i have a stock alternator of 105 Amps in a 1997 Grand Prix 3.8L . Will i need a HO alternator of 160 or 200 or even another battery?

This is the amp:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16367

Alternators:
http://www.motorcityreman.com/high-amp-alternators-pontiac-grand-prix.html

Silver Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 508
that amp is only a 1200 watt amp and u will only see about 900-1000 of it anyway. What subs do you have? Buying a HO Alt is a good idea no matter what your running. If you have the money it's a great idea. Then upgrading the amp is the next step. Give us a budget because that amp is not very high quality, more of a budget amp. Let us know what subs you will be running though... We can help you!

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio

Post Number: 47
My budget is about $700-$800. That budget includes HO alternator,subs, amp, box, and a wiring kit. I was looking to get 2 pioneer subs, which i can get for $70 each.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17388

I found a 160 amp alternator for $200. And i can get the Hifonics amp for $235. Box and wiring kit each $50.
But if you dont think that config isn't good i can change it up because i havent ordered anything yet. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2059
That amp only does about 900 watts...... you probably won't need to upgrade the electrical system.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 966
dont get cheap subs to save money go with a FI SSD get the 18 and that amp and have logan or cannan build u a box no need for HO alt

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio

Post Number: 49
what is a FI SSD ?
I searched it on google and nothing came up.

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 971
Ficaraudio.com prolly the best subs out there for the money Scott atwell one of the mans behind RE left Re to form this company

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 463
you sound like you have no idea about car audio.

but I say grab that alternator if you have the money. The amp will put out more power if it has some headroom... 14.7 maybe?

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 978
yea not knowin about Fi defidently a noob

when i came here i didnt no about FI

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio

Post Number: 51
yea i am a noob but i'm trying to learn and get experience. Thanks for the info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us