2 Amps with only 1 Bass knob?

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 226
so i've heard from the dealers that is impossible for you to run 2 of the same amps on 1 bass knob... any suggestions on how i can? or are they right?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1981
Why does it matter? Ya shouldn't be using "remote woofer cooker" knobs anyways......

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 227
When i dont use it on my RF 800.2 PUNCH, i am forced to turn my amps on mid/highs all the way down so i can turn the volume on my deck up all the way. The bass knob is no good then?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2001
Bass knobs add distortion and cause the amplifier to clip at high volume.

It sounds like your gain is not set right though. Follow the instructions on this page:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

Do that for all your amplifiers (if you have more than one). Let us know if that doesn't fix it.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 229
even if my gains are up all the way? because right now i have ONE of the RF 800.2 hooked up to 2 (12 5500 thunder) and w/o the bass knob i have to go to like max volume on deck but with the bass knob(all the way up) i can turn it up to like 21(outa like 50) and have it bump just as hard. someone please explain the difference w/ the bass knob if you say its a "cooker"

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 772
what is the deal with the bass knobs ?? any was doesnt steve meade have one for all 4 RF 4k's

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2048
" even if my gains are up all the way? "

Set the gain properly. You will clip the subs to death with it all the way up. Gain is NOT a volume control.

Now to explain a little further, there are really 2 types of "bass knobs" that amps can have. The first is the more common, it control the amp's bass boost. These are completely useless, since bass boost on the amp should not be used anyway, as it causes distortion. All adjustments to the signal should be done at the HU or EQ. The second type is actually a remote "gain knob", these are less common. They can be used if you never turn it up further than the proper gain setting, but they are not preferred. The HU's subwoofer level function serves the same purpose, and will never cause clipping as long as the amp's gain was set properly. If the HU didn't have a sub level adjustment, and you absolutely had to be able to adjust the sub level, then there may a case where one of those "gain knobs" could be used.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2053
This video is a good explanation of what bass boost does:

http://www.icixsound.com/iv/view_video.php?viewkey=c13838ff95ccfa94cebd

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Future 15 Wanger!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 1824
lol....i like ur future use of the video..lol...u must be pshycic cause u even said u would need it...lol

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2057
Notice the time gap between my two posts above. I found the video and posted the comment in the Sub section between those 2 times.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 951
lol already usin that video i posted damn lol

And to answer MEade has a bass nob that mite be tru but i believe he has
Audio Control 6XS 6-way crossover
Audio Control DQS Parametric EQ

which i believe were his bass nob is hooked up to
i would defidently trust audiocontrol wit a bass nob im gettin the epicenter

Dunno if it would do ne thing 4 ur subs tho ur subs have to be able to get low and loud for it really to help

but u still have to set gain rite or u be clippin n spending mo money on subs

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Future 15 Wanger!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 1826
i know cuase i read the other thread b4 the sub section went down as usual and u said u were gunna save that link..lol...good job...another person informed and saved from the horrible knob.

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 952
And meade doesnt use the bass nob to get louder he uses it to get lower then startle people by turnin it up to normal wit no clipping derrrrr

Username: Travis08

Post Number: 3
you reccomend a audiocontrol epicenter over the bass boost knob ive been thinking about getting one but a lot of people i know have said that has caused so much distortion that it blew their woofers

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 980
u gotta set it up rite there prolly just dum i no alot of people that have them and it actually enhances the bass but the people u no prolly just turned eva thing up on the epicenter

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2062
I recommend NOTHING that artificially alters the signal, changing it from the way it was intended to sound. Thats what processors like the epiccenter do.

Bass knob = distortion. Doesn't matter what device it's connected to.

Silver Member

PLANET EARTH, FLA

Post Number: 986
but if set up rite it will be fine Audiocontrol is the only company id go with steel city sounds has a epicenter

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2075
Doesn't matter how anything is "set up". Bass boost creates a peak centered at on specific frequency (a.k.a. it changes or "distorts" the signal), thats how it works!

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2715
First of all you need to find out if it is indeed a remote gain adjustment (90% of amps are) or actually a remote adjustment for a single band EQ (BB). Turn the bass boost adjustment all the way down, 0db, plug the remote in and have it at 0 also. Now turn your HU up to like 1/2-3/4 and slowly turn remote knob towards full. If the sound gets louder it is a remote gain adjustment, not just a bass knob. This type is actually very helpful because it can actually attentuate the bass for particular songs and may also keep subs from distorting on those songs with to much bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us