Problem with my amp...i think, anyone help?

Username: Sicandtwisted06

Ohio

Post Number: 1
whenever i start my car up, well actually, when my stereo is on, there is a loud thumping, sounds kinda like a heartbeat would, a steady thump thump. i have a 1100 peak, 10' sony explode (walmart crap, i know), never had any problems with it until now. i have it bridged to a rockford fostgate amp, 975 w max, around 350 rms. also when i accelerate in my car, it sounds almost like a "virtual muffler", a low hum gets higher the faster i go. mabye this could have something to do with my wiring kit? the previous amp i had was only like 600 watts max, and so i bought a wiring kit for like around 550 watts. but i dropped that one trying to mount it... ive checked many wires and my ground seems to be good, but i remember someone telling me if i run 2 certain cords together that it could cause humming, i tried spreading my cords to different parts of my car, power wire going under my driver door, remote line, rca wires, and my bass control dial wire, all through my middle console, and ground on the passenger side. if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1947
Headunit...... which one are running?

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1532
Check you head unit.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1497
my guess is your amplifier mosfets are shot. if you still have your old amp try hooking it up and see if that fixes it.

Ohio

Post Number: 2
head unit? everything ive learned has been just messing around with stuff, so not sure about the tech terms lol. is that the cd player i have? if it is, its a dual, 35x4 i think.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1502
yes the head unit is the cd player. it supplies the signal to the amplifier via rca cable.

Ohio

Post Number: 3
ok...i turned down my gain, it helped, but not getting nearly as much bump as it used to be.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2340
Redo the ground. Over time oxidization can form causing a weak connection. 99% of alt whine is ground. 1% HU/rca connections.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2007
^^^^ Yep, unless you have a Pioneer HU. Then it's the other way around.

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1151
Yeah dude, I'm gonna third that one - thump when you hear interference through the sub and whine is through the mids. Redo the ground...Marc ftw! lol jk i know it's not a help contest

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1504
wait, you are getting music output and you just have noise or no music output and only noise?

Ohio

Post Number: 4
i was getting bass still...but the thump-thump would over power the songs thump thump, my amp would thump DURING THUMPS, thats the best way to explain it. btw about my ground, i have it connected to the arm that holds my trunk open, its just a hole i drilled and filed down, its worked for me for about a year and a half, and now all of a sudden its doin it.

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1177
Aren't those things painted? Definitely find a new ground, I bet that'll help.

Gold Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1505
try unplugging only the left rca and see if it goes away. if it doesn't then do the same to the right.

Ohio

Post Number: 5
i checked my ground, it was a little loose, which explains the amp not thumping all the time, when i go around turns i bet my box slides against the ground causing it to move. i tightened it down and all seems to be working.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us