Looking for experienced guidance!

Username: Lvnlf2thefullest

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 1
I own a 2000 infiniti G20t. The engine is a sr20de. The stock alternator is 80 amp. I am trying to put in a 500/1 JL slash series amp, to run (2) 10" w3v3, and a 300/4 JL slash series amp, to run (2pair)xr650csi. I also bought 1.5 farad capacitor but from what I have read so far, capacitors aren't everything they're cracked up to be. The battery is still stock. I do have a 4 guage wire running to my trunk from a previously installed system. (I am hoping that this will be enough) I need a basic run down of how I should approach installing this system. Everything from; Is the alternator I have good enough? Should I use the capacitor? Should I get a new battery? If the wiring I currently have is sufficient and the battery and alternator will be enough then are there any installation tips you could give me? I have read a couple of books on the subject but sometimes it's hard to sort through the bs. I appreciate your time and efforts :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 17
Throw the capacitor in the trash can, they offer nothing to improve thesystem. The 4 gauge cable should be plenty enough for the two amps. Run the power cable through a power distribution block and run 8 gauge cables to the amps. Find a good ground point on a frame component under the car. Run the 4 gauge ground through the body with a rubber grommet. After the system is hooked up try out the alternetor by turning on bright headlamps and elect defrosters with the system running. You may have to go with a higher amp alt.

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 2
Each amp has to be grounded correct? Can the grounds run along side one another? I begin looking for a ho alternator last night and am having an extremely hard time finding one for my car w/o having to buy one that requires mounting brackets. I'd rather not have to install brackets any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4451
jonathan Nice engine. Have you ever thought about putting a Turbo sistem???

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 113
Dude those amps don't draw much power.
Beauty of JL: 500 at 2 or 4 ohms.
You don't need a HO alternator for this setup.
It's always good to have, if you were going to get one already then get it, but you will be just fine with a (optima)yellowtop(battery).

Maybe I have bad reading comprehension, but you already have some 4 guage wired in?
No need to replace it unless the wire is frayed or cracked. Both amps would probly be fine with some 8 guage wire, but no need to downgrade.

You do need to ground both amps.
You can run your grounds parallel, hell you can even ground both amps to the same bolt or whatever you ground with.
You should also be able to mount your amp straight to your frame or whatever. I have one mounted to the back of my seat right now. Just make sure you won't drill through any wires or anything if you put it on the floor.

Overall, very nice setup.

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 3
JulioB, I have thought about it. But i just don't know much about turbo systems. Tell me more?

And jerome your reading comp. is great, you understood it all. Thanx for the response. Only part I 'm not sure I understand completely is optima yellow top battery. Is that a certain name brand and model? If so, where can I get it?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11952
I suggest you try the audio system on the stock charging system.
Use a volt meter and see if voltage drops below 12 volts.
if it does, and you have light dimming issues etc, then you'll want to upgrade the alternator to something in the 160-200A range.
when doing so, also switch the 'big 3' to 4AWG as well.
the battery should be fine, but if you plan to run the system with the engine off much, switch to a yellow top or similar deep cycle battery so as not to do damage if you run it down.

keep the cap now that ya have it, and install it, but remember it can't replace the need for the right alternator.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11953
also, ground the amps as close to the amps as possible, to keep the ground lines short.
helps avoid noise in the system. yes every amp has to be grounded.

also, mounting brackets are simple and easy. don't fear them.
also consider having the stock alternator rewound and beefed up at a starter and alternator shop, or talk to excessive or irragi, or ohio gen, or motor city reman about a custom built alternator for the casing you require

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 114
No problem bro, an optima yellowtop is a deep cycle battery, one of the better ones you can get.
The costco in reno has them for around $160 which is a pretty good deal. I had one that lasted through 3 cars, sold it with the third.

And glasswolf knows, always listen to what he has to say.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/a utomotive.html

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4458
try posting in a car audio forum. I asked about turbo cuz i saw that engine and is very powerful. All Silvia's use that engine but turbo version. Try getting it man, is a huge improvement and that's FAST.

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 5
GlassWolf

What are the big three?
Ground
Power
and...????

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 6
Also,
How do I set up the (2) 10" w3v3 with the JL 500/1. Is it better to run it in series or parallel. What size wire should I be using? According to my chart it says 12 guage.
On the same note what size wire should I be using for my interior speakers. I currently have 16 installed should I upgrade to 12.

I'm also in the process of trying to purchase some RCA's any suggestions? Speaking of RCA's does splitting a 2 channel into a four channel effect sound quality?

Has anyone ever used a sound deadening spray? My trunk already is fully lined with fatman, I'm just looking for the best way to install my interiors.
I was thinking about just using egg crates with an adhesive spray but any and all suggestions are welcome.

Really appreciate all the help so far.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1735
Big 3:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=73496&PN=1

12 gauge wire is fine for the subs and 16 is fine for the speakers

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 7
Glasswolf-never mind. Just read the whole article posted by M.S. on the "big three." The engine ground, and the alternator's wires. And you said to upgrade the big three only if I get an HO alternator. As of right now I'm getting quotes of $700 for an HO Alternator. I can't afford that so I hope my stock 90 amp alternator is going to do the trick.

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 8
I'm also in the process of trying to purchase some RCA's any suggestions? Speaking of RCA's does splitting a 2 channel into a four channel effect sound quality?

Also, Has anyone ever used a sound deadening spray? My trunk already is fully lined with fatman, I'm just looking for the best way to install my interiors.
I was thinking about just using egg crates with an adhesive spray but any and all suggestions are welcome.

How do I set up the (2) 10" w3v3 with the JL 500/1. Is it better to run it in series or parallel.

Really appreciate all the help so far.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1746
With only a 500 watt amplifier your stock electrical should be fine.

For the RCAs use a 4 channel RCA cable or 2 two channel ones.

What impedence (ohms) are the subs?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11982
how you wire the subs depends on their impedance (coil config)

RCA cables.. any decent shielded or twisted pair interconnects will be fine. fancy expensive cables are a marketing ploy.

big 3 as noted above are:
alternator to battery
battery to chassis ground
engine block to chassis ground (grounds the alternator)

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 9
I'm not sure what impedence my subs are? The insert sheet is for all three series. The 2-ohm the 4-ohm and the 8-ohm versions. Is there a way for me to tell by just looking at the sub?

Concord, NH USA

Post Number: 10
So i just figured it out, the subs are 4-ohm.

Back to the original question....
Should they be ran in series or parallel?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11993
dual 4 ohm (should be labeled on the magnet, by each terminal) with two subs and a mono amp.

I'd wire the coils in parallel (pair of 2 ohm subs resulting) then wire the subs to teh amp in series (4 ohm load resulting at the amp)
for the 500/1 that is ideal

you can do the opposite as well, wiring coils in series, subs in parallel. same result.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us