Amp on but no sound

Username: Treegrassleaf

Post Number: 1
i have everything hooked up but the amp doesnt seem to be powering the sub, the sub is on and working but sounds like its being pushed by the head... anyone know some reasons it would be doing this?

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12144
"sounds like its being pushed by the head"

what do you mean??

Post Number: 2
like there is a signal going to the sub but no power other then what is coming from the head unit its like the amp isnt doing its job.. but i know the amp works cuz we just took it out of my friends car to put in mine

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 676
Than you did something wrong. JMO

Hey Chauncey!

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 677
Chauncey, Why haven't you sent the pics?

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 62
if your subs are getting sound but its not loud then maybe your amp is fried. unless its something stupid like your amp is set for tweeters not the sub or your gain isnt set...get your amp tested if you cant find the problem. FYI running your subs on a fried amp can wreck them so dont run them too much.

being pushed by the head? :S i dont know what that means. do you mean it sounds like theres static coming out of it? might have fried the voice coils...

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2023
Check the outputs of the amplifier with a DMM and see what kind of voltage it's putting out.

Post Number: 3
the amp shouldnt be fried it hasnt been used from the time it was takin from the other car to mine. the sub just isnt as loud as it should be, its the exact same volume as the factory subs its a mach 460 sytem in a vert mustang, i just dont have the time or money to completely take that sorry system out

Post Number: 4
how do i bridge the amp? does that mean like the pos on the left speaker and the neg on the right speaker terminals?

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 74
yupp!
use your right neg and left pos or left neg and right pos...doesnt matter.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 705
ivan jacobs...On some amps it does matter which pos and which neg you use, Just so you know. These amps will usually tell you under the speaker terminals which ones to use. Also the amp bridged is only 4 ohm stable. Just some more that you should know.

What year mustang and what model?

Just get a MONO amp and call it a day

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 707
Is anyone else reading this.....GW, Chad Lee, where are you???

Post Number: 5
2000 year model
the sub is a 12" JL W3
i think maybe its the amps power output is too low i googled the part number and i think as far as i can tell its only a 140 single and 280 bridged.
my friend has a 800w so we are going to hook that one up in place of the one in there now to see if thats what the problem is.
with that mach 460 the wiring is ridiculous so ive had to splice a couple wires ive gotten the schematics on line so i wasnt certain they were right becuase of the changes from the 00 to the 01 and up

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 724
Its not the wattage because I ran (3) 12" JL W0's off 75 watts rms. Thats 25 watts per sub. It was very loud for 75 watts.

You had to have messes up somewhere because I have a 2000 Mustang GT with the Mach 460 stereo and I had (3) 12" JL Audio W6's running off a PG tantrum 1200 (had a birth sheet of over 1400 watts rms) and I had no problems. I even put in a Kenwood toutch screen in it and still had no problems.I even set it up so I could watch DVD's while driving which they are designed and installed to not do. Long trips were now fun and seemed to be shorter.

Do you have factory radio/HU still in the car?I know that the CD player and radio are two separet things in that setup. If so you will need a LOC for the RCAs. How dod you hook the amp up. Is remote hooked up and where? Is the power wire hooked up and where and is it fused and how far away is the fuse from the batt? RCA's........? Is amp even on? Is it protecting?

Post Number: 6
everything is stock other then the amp and the sub... i have the a install edge LOC hooked up to the leads on the the rear amps the gr/bl (-) and the wh/bl(+) i have the P.Con to the accessory connections just to the right of the the hood release. i have a RF amp power kit so the fuse on the power cable is about 12" from the batt terminal i have a RF terminal replacement. the rca is also RF from the LOC adapt

Post Number: 7
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm

this is where i got the information on how to do it. i have everything done the way he has his done other then the small difs in the 01 with the new 6cd changer HU

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 734
Are there two dials on the LOC. if so try turning them and see what you get.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 735
That LOC can only go 2-60 watts and the Mach 460 i believe is a bit more than that so you might have to find a better LOC.

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 736
The Mach 460 is over 75 watts per channel.

Post Number: 8
www.installedge.com
its the IEC AULOC
there are the adjustment deals ive gone all the way on both in different variations on both with no change at all.
i have them spliced before they get to the amps right before it splits to go to the two
its wierd when i turn the bass all the way up it will hit ok but i dont like the way it sounds with the stock subs
but it just sounds weak

it shouldnt make a difference with it connected a head of the amps before the amps have a chance to actually amplify the power should it??

those kind of subs are sposed to have an inch or more of travel and with this setup it might go a quarter.

since you have the 460 in yours you know that it doesnt sound right to have the base up past halfway thats pretty much the whole reason i wanted a little extra....

Silver Member

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 774
"i have them spliced before they get to the amps right before it splits to go to the two"

That could be your problem. Try using the amplified speaker wires for the LOC and see what happens.

Post Number: 9
i got it to work with rockford fosgate p3002 so i think what you said about the LOC might be what was up with it only being rated up to 50 watts and my deal putting out 75

the only thing is i have it bridged and onlow pass with the remote turned all the way up and on 400hz with the gain all the way up
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us