Amp going into protect

Silver Member
Username: Kickerman

Post Number: 128
i have a kicker kx 350.4 powering my comps and i bridged the channels. ok if you turn the volume of the hu to about 35 on some songs or 40 on others the amp protect light comes on then it goes back off starts up again then comes on again repeatedly. so my question is does any1 know what would cause this.

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 795
Clipping? Are you bridging each comp set to one channel? You probably got the Ohm load wrong.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 794
Friend had that amp, when bridged it's only stable at 4ohms. Somehow I think you're wiring it into a lower impedance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
http://www.cdtaudio.com/classic2000MidDriv.htm if you scroll down i have a pair of the CL-E61. now it says that they are 4 ohms. so any1 else can think of the problem

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11842
turn the gains on the amp down. they're too high, causing the amp to clip and go into protection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
i set the gains with a dmm

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 802
What setting's it at??

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

San Diego

Post Number: 447
You turn the HU to 40 on some songs?....what the max number the HU goes to?

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

San Diego

Post Number: 448
I have the exact same amp bridged to a pair of CDT CL-62's and have no problem whatsoever...

I set mine with a DMM also (used 150rms as the amp will do 170rms bridged)...my HU maxes out at 60 so I set the DMM with 45 on the HU...

If you're sure everything is correct you may just have a bad amp...just ran into that with a BNIB Crossfire VR-1000D...was going in and out of protect mode at random times...amp that I had before worked just fine...replaced it with a BNIB Us Amps XT-4000D and it works like a charm...

Crossfire will be getting a call from me very soon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
ok so i connected each speaker to each channel and it works fine but when you bridge it the protect light comes on. i dont understand the speakers are 4 ohms

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 832
Do the speakers still sound the same when turned up or do they start to get distorted? If they're fine, leave them like that. Not sure what's wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6102
When you set the gains with DMM, did you do it properly?
Are you using bass booster? You may have set the gains correctly, but when you turn up the bass booster, it alters the setting. Therefore, it'll cause the amp to overload.
If you have a DMM, use it to also measure the speakers. Some my say 4ohms, but you'll find it's not always true.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us