How do i hook up a car system??!!

Username: Car5_14

Post Number: 4
how do u hook up a car system, i have a 2400 watts 2 channel legacy amp, 2 12 inch legacy woofers, all the cables, and the fuse and fuse holder, and the 2.4 farad capacitor.

Anonymous

well wat kind of car do u have?

JJ
Unregistered guest
First get rid of that piece of crap 600 watt amp and get a real amp. Second try to sell the cap and get some of your money back because that was just a waste. Third when you get your new GOOD amp in then come back to post then we can help you.

Oh yeah and on another post you said you had the hardest hitting system in your town. Well then you should tell me what town that is cause i would be happy to come and blow your windows out of your car for you cause you want even come close with that crappy @ss amp.

Username: 172_db

Ky

Post Number: 2
run all four wires straight out one channel per speaker
turn the amp all the way up
runnin all the wires is common sense.

Anonymous

why didn't you tell him all the others steps?

172 +- db
Unregistered guest
because there common sense.

Anonymous

not for everyone.

172 +- db
Unregistered guest
replace the alternator i guess?

Anonymous

not for that crap.

172 +- db
Unregistered guest
so anonymous agrees with me :-)
guess that means your apology is next?

Anonymous

crap goes with crap rofl why get a high dollar alternator when all the rest is junk.

172 +- db
Unregistered guest
well changin the alternator is your fix for everything else i figured it would help him too?

Username: Cooa7156

Palm beach gardens, Florida Usa

run a power wire from you batter through the firewall to your amp make sure the fuse of the power wire is close to the battery. Then run your rca cables on the opposite side of your car so it doesn't create any sound distortions with your power wire. and using the same guage as your power wire run the ground wire to something metal in the car no longer than 8 inches. last just connect the remote turn on wire so that your amp doesn't stay on. And mount it where it'll stay cool.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3001
www.bcae1.com
www.the12volt.com
www.installdr.com

those three sites should contain all of the info you need to do the job right and get everything installed properly.

Unregistered guest
I NEED HELP HOOKING UP 2 AMPS MY HEAD UNIT IS A KENWOOD KDC-X711 THE AMPS ARE (1)SONY XPLOD XM-3001SXD MONAURAL 1CH 1000W (2)CRUNCH DS-2400VU 800W 2CH MY SUBS ARE MA-AUDIO 10S SPANDBAND BOX AND HAVE 2PRS 6.25 SPKRS AND 1PR TWEETERS PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE ON HOOKING IT UP.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3038
Gilbert, take it to a car audio shop and schedule an appointment for an installer to do the job.

Username: Bobby

Barrie, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
i have just a lil kenwood amp but i also have a 2 lil subs 6 1/2 inch and i have a 200 watt jvc deck how do i go about hooking it up? do i need all the fuses to hook this up? what do i need?

as11702
Unregistered guest
yea i had a crappy system which was 2 12" s type alpines with an alpine amp but then got rid of the box and had my 2 L7"s running off the amp. the only problem is on the kx1200.1 amp from kicker that i got it only has 2 holes for the speaker. i dont know if i should take the 2 wires from 1 speaker into 1 hole and the other wires into the other hole.can someone help?

Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 1
to as11702, you need to find out the impedence of everything and the number of voicecoils,

eg if 1 of your L7's is a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub then you need a 2 channel amp (1 channel per coil) or a 4 channel amp for both subs.

4 ohm sub single voice coil needs a bridged 2-channel, further questions about install email MikeCaledon@hotmail.com

Canada

Note to everyone

Cheap Crap As Follows

Sony, Pyramid, Legacy, Thump, MA audio, Boss, Lanzar, Crunch,

The power ratings on these amps are bullshit aswell

Kenwood is decent for intermediate

Higher end audio would be Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Eclipse, Kicker, JL, JBL, Earthquake

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
and how do u know this, have u actually tried it?

Canada

Post Number: 5
NOTE TO GHOST, every item company above between myself and my best friend, YES,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
sure u have i bet my system would whoop urs!

come on
Unregistered guest
come whoop my system turd. 2 JL audio 13W7s and 2 JL Audio 1000/1s. Think you can whoop that. Legacy is for LITTLE kids. If you want mans sound try Kicker or JL Audio.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
yep i bet mine can i have 2 12" 1200 watt peak legacy and a 2 channel 1200 watts in each for the total amount of 2400 watts so beat that.

Anonymous

Hey BOY that peak is just way to get little PUNK KIDS like you to buy that junk. You NEVER NEVER go by PEAK WATTS you go buy RMS ratings. See you don't even know sh!t about car audio go home kid. And another NEWS flash that piece of sh!t legacy that you THINK is pushing 2400 watts guess what It is only pushing about 600 watts. tell me what size fuse came on it a I will tell you how many watts it is. And trust me my componant speakers would out hit your subs.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 234
As far as the amp, they list peak current draw (fuse rating)at 50 amps. That means the Legacy will have a PEAK wattage draw of 720 watts with 14.4 volts running to it. The fact that a Class A/B amp (which a 2 channel is) is about 60% efficient tops (I'm being nice to you), RMS wattage would be 432 with 60% efficiency. JL 1000/1's are 1000W RMS underrated, I've seen them put out 1200-1400 watts, some cases even more. 2 13W7's with 2000+ watts RMS, versus 2 Legacy Subs running 432W RMS. It's not all about the wattage, though. You could put a magnet and coil on a block of wood and put thousands of watts to it and it wouldn't sound good or hit hard. True SPL also depends on the subs design, mass, surface area, x-max, the inductance of the voice coil, the enclosure the sub is in, the vehicle, etc. A lot of factors go making SPL, but comparing yours to two 13W7's running 2000+ watts RMS is a sure way to get your a$$ handed to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
i have a 200 amp fuse what does that make it?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 237
Where's your 200 amp fuse? You mean coming from the battery? It's definately not on the amp, I searched that model.

Anonymous

Thank you Jonathan. I have been telling this guy what you just said forever on other post. He is just a kid that that doesn't understand the differents of MAX watts and RMS. He thinks just because that amp says 2400watts he thinks he can beat anyone in a DB drag. Truth is I would even unhook one of my subs and just that one would hand his @ss to him lol. These 13W7s are by far one of the hardest hitting subs I have ever heard.
So hell why not have a little fun with him and his legacy set up lol. I'm always up for a good laugh every once in a while.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
well u come on down to my down and we'll see, but yea thats where my fuse come from the battery it takes 150 amp but i put a 200 amp bc thats all the store had.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 238
By the way, if you're asking me to call your bullsh*t, here's the page. On their own website below, you'll see the blue series, which has 50 amps maximum draw according to them. If you have the 2400 watt red series, it's even worse, they don't even list fuse rating or their claimed, overrated RMS output. Look closely at the picture of the red series amp and you'll see two yellow fuses. According to fuse color code (MAXI or mini and standard), a yellow fuse is rated at 20 amps, meaning a total max draw of 40 amps for the red series amplifier (which the RMS would be even less than the blue series, 345.6 maximum total RMS actually, at 14.4 V)
http://www.legacycaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=LA2080
So yes, I call your and Legacy's bullsh*t.

Anonymous

man that 200 amp fuse does not help the amp get more power. You are a IDIOT man I'm done with this you are just plain out stupid. Do you REALLY think you can beat 2 JL 13W7s. You should hear a good set up one day then you will see what we was talking about dude that is pushing a TOTAL of 500 watts at the most. My system has over 2000watts RMS power not PEAK like your crap. But if you REALLY think you can beat me in a DB drag then tell me where I can find you are where you want to meet and we will go at it. But you are NOT going to be a very happy camper when you get your @ss handed to you.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 239
By the way, I'm talking about the actual fuses ON THE AMP, not the ones coming from the battery. The ones from the battery won't do jack crap for the amp, especially a 200 amp fuse running to an amp that won't pull more than 50. The fuses on the amp determine the maximum current the amp will draw.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 240
Also, if you want to prove it yourself about wattage, wattage is determined by volts x amps (in your case, 14.4 Volts x 50 Amps, which equals 720 watts) then you take that number and multiply it by the efficiency of the amp (50-60%, 720 x .60 equals 432) and you get the maximum RMS wattage the amp can put out. Even if the amp was 100% efficient, it still wouldn't put out the Peak 2400 they claim, it'd only be 720 watts. If JL was lowly enough to list peak ratings, saying your peak rating is over 550% of the actual RMS the amp puts out, their peak would be 5500 watts. But anyway, A JL amp pulls 110-120 amps of current usually (They don't have fuses, so fuse ratings don't apply). They're rated at 12.5 volts to be conservative.(110 x 12.5 equals 1375) The amps are usually 80% or more efficient. (1375 x .8 equals 1100) So 1100W RMS power rating. Now you see that they're underrated. With 14.4 Volts, they'll put out 1267.2 watts RMS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
yea i see what u guys r sayin now

Anonymous

Thank you ghost. I'm still game if you want that DB drag I will bring my JLs and you can see how your system compares if you like. Just tell me the time and place I will meet you. If not then goodluck with that system. PEACE

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
well i live in missouri so im not sure if u live any where near there and yes ur system would blow my away but it would be nice to see the difference(prolly a very big one)

Anonymous

ARE you kidding me?? I have to be there in 2 weeks. I got to be in Buffalo you live anywhere close to there? I got a business trip you ever hear of Hales fireworks? I work for them. We got to get ready for the 4th of July. So that would be perfect lol. This would give you a chance to hear what you should save up for later. (just kidding) If you are happy with that system then keep it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
well its good and all but i want i new system i woant some rockford fosgate stuff. but im only 15 so yea..lol.. so my system(which is crap) is in my bros car, but yea we should be able to drive down there. just give me a holler and well meet up somewhere.

dazed and confused
Unregistered guest
ok so like I got my amp and my speakers, and I ran the power cable from batery to the amp and the remote wire from my cd player to the amp... and the neg wire to a lil bolt on my frame by the battery just to test it out, and no power wtf is going on lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
1. do u have a fuse inbetween ur power cable to ur battery and ur amp?
2. make sure ur ground is good.
3. make sure its connected to the battery good.
4. same with the amp connections

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
And how many total watts do u have in the amp and what gauge(awg) do u have for ur wire?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
and how many total watts do u have for ur amp, and what gauge(awg) do u have for ur power and ground cable?

Anonymous

Dazed. Double check your ground wire. Make your it is on (BARE)metal and nice and tight. Also run a remote wire to the battery just too much sure It has a good connection. If the amp comes on with the remote hooked to the battery then that is the problem. then hook it back to the remote wire on the radio. which is blue. or blue with a white stripe. hope this helps.

dazed and confused
Unregistered guest
oh so I need a fuse for my power wire? cause its got this thing on it where it looks like I can plug something in. yea its got 2 female lil connectors. and I will work on my ground cable. thanks guys

dazed and confused
Unregistered guest
oh and its a 2 channel 1000w amp and i got 10 awg wire

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
u might want to go for bigger wire i would say about atleast 8 or 6 gauge(awg), and for ur power cable fuse get one that is ANL and about 100-125 amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
but if 10 awg works fine for u then just stay with it but its up to u:D

Bronze Member
Username: Demigod33

Post Number: 12
hell no

4g or 0g for that amount of power

Anonymous

dazed what kind of amp is that cause that is most likely the PEAK watts you will need to go by the RMS wattage. If that is a legacy then it is only giving about 300watts so you can use 8 gauge streetwires kit. but anyway what kind of amp is it???? I will find the specs when you tell me then I can tell you for sure what you need. And that fuse YES that WILL be needed are say good bye to your cars electrical system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
no bc i have a 2400 watt amp and 4 gauge works for it but it dont matter

Anonymous

Ghost you need 4 gauge cause that legacy you have pulls about 700 watts. And I will be coming up soon I will let you know for sure when so you can hear my JLs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
ok im waitin if u want me email adress its slipknot__13@hotmail.com

Anonymous

OK I will get in touch with you in about a day or 2.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
ok

dazed and confused
Unregistered guest
lol i bought it off ebay for cheap hmm, it says..

metric audio 2 ch 1000w power amp i dunno if that helps.

oh on the box it says 2 x500 W RMS and some lil mosfet sticker, I erally have no idea about this stuff, just want the damn thing to work

Anonymous

Dazed what size fuse(s) does it have?

dazed and confused
Unregistered guest
its got 2 blue 15's least tats what the number says lol

Anonymous

Well they said WRONG. sorry to say this is what I got with that info.

180x2 RMS watts @ 12 volts
207x2 RMS watts @ 13.8 volts
216x2 RMS watts @ 14.4 volts

Now with that out of the way and 432 watts of total power use a good 4 gauge wiring kit. I recommend using StreetWires 4 gauge kit.

Anonymous

and did you try what I said above. And that ground needs to be shorter. ground wire should NOT be longer then 24 inches. check your remote wire make sure it has a good connection. and put a ANL or AGU fuse on that power wire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
yes make ur ground as short as possible, and put a ang or anl fuse in the power line and make sure u get that fuse as CLOSE as u can do the battery.

And Anonymous y is it on the rockford fosgate p8004 there is 3 10 fuses(which means my legacy has 40 and has more?)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
yes make ur ground as short as possible, and put a ang or anl fuse in the power line and make sure u get that fuse as CLOSE as u can do the battery.

And Anonymous y is it on the rockford fosgate p8004 there is 3 10 fuses(which means my legacy has 40 and has more?)

dazed and confused
Unregistered guest
Ill go snag a fuse for my wire tomorrow, and Yea my ground is about 20in long, and I sand blasted the metal lol its bare as can be. And I guess ill get some 4gauge wire if thats what it takes

Anonymous

Ghost. Where did you find a RF p8004 with 3 10 amp fuses? They have built in ATC fuses. And RF is true wattage they aren't like legacy. They tell you the RMS rating where legacy only says the peak wattage. Which it will never hit. But if you did find one like that with 3 10amp fuses tell me where to find it. If so then it isn't 800watts RMS it is 108x4 @ 14.4 volts total of 432 total watts. But tell me where I can find it cause I haven't found that amp with fuses on the outside.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
here it is Rcokford Fosgate P8004:
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
the fuses r all the way to the right(the red ones)

Anonymous

Well then I guess your legacy is better then that hunk of junk. RF used to be a good company until the started getting money hungry. Now they don't care about their products just money now. Thats why I ONLY buy JL AUDIO. I wouldn't recommend RF now but I would their old amps. I have a old punch 50 and it hits like crazy I have pushed 2 JL 10W0s hard with it. Thats what I had before I got my new equipment. But if you are happy with that legacy set up then hold on to it. Don't let anyone dis you just because thats all you have as long as your happy with it then thats all that matters.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
ok and thx for carin anonymous :D

And dazed if i were u i guess u might get 4 but 6 or 8 might work just fine to but u make the choice. Ur ground should be nice now, and when u get all the stuff and if it still dont work come back and tell me and anonymous what ur EXACTLY doin and we will find it out

dazed and confused
Unregistered guest
thanks guys, hopefully the dam thing will work soon. If not youll be hearing from me again lol

Topdawg
Unregistered guest
I just got a sony xplod 1000watt mono channel amp XM-3001sxd i was wondering if you guys could tell me what this amp pulls RMS or w.e its got 3 25A fuses pluged into the amp also Im just in the process of the car system i was wondering if you guys have any recomendations on subs/head units that a 16 year old could afford... thanks alot

Topdawg
Unregistered guest
I just got a sony xplod 1000watt mono channel amp XM-3001sxd i was wondering if you guys could tell me what this amp pulls RMS or w.e its got 3 25A fuses pluged into the amp also Im just in the process of the car system i was wondering if you guys have any recomendations on subs/head units that a 16 year old could afford... thanks alot

RODGweedo
Unregistered guest
This is to Ghost about the fosgate amp....
you should look at the amp a lil bit more closly and u would relize that those are 40 amp fuses not 10 amps...if you dont believe me go to Sounddomain PAge and look at fuse rating

my raiting on companys
1) Kicker
2) Jl Audio (Due to prices)
3) Adire Audio
4) Elemental Designs
5) Fosgate
99) Legacy

System:
2 Kicker S12l7's 2004 model subs
ported box 2.2 Cubic feet per chamber tuned to 35hz
1 Kicker KX1200.1 2004 model amp
Kenwood KDC-X679 deck
0/1 gauge wiring

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
o well i guess i was wrong i could care less what u f*ckers say about my system as long as i like it yall can go blow urself!

Bronze Member
Username: Goodstang

Long island, ny

Post Number: 11
people, as long as you like the setup you have, why should anyone else care what you have in your car? if everyone had the best system, we'd all have the same system -- no one would be different -- everyone 'd be the same -- and this car audio stuff would be know fun. personally, i like to chuck sony xplod stuff (i have an amp, equalizer, head unit, 2 subs, 2 speakers) in my car.

is it the best stuff? of course not. do i like it though? why of course. no one i know has a set up that even closely resembles mine. in my opinion -- being different is all that counts with car audio.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Thank u brian thats all ppl have been doin is talkin crap sayin they have the better system (ok thx for telling me that but y do i care though) i mean im happy with mine so if u got a problem with my system keep it to urself plz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
o and my name was Ghost but i changed it to Neon, just to let yall know.

Bronze Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

Bc Canada

Post Number: 51
You get wat u pay for.!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
ok, i got my stuff off of ebay for real cheap so im ahppy with what i paid for!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us