Amp Gain Problems!

Bronze Member
Username: Joebruce

Post Number: 12
Alright i got a MTX502 500 watt amp and it has 2 gain knobs L and R. whenever I turn the L one my subs make this static noise and when i turn the R one it doesnt do anything at all. I have both knobs turned up a little more than half way, and when i turn the volume up on the head unit it sounds good inside the car but if you pop the trunk it sounds and looks like the subs are about to blow. One of my friends said it could be ground loop. But I think something is wrong with the amp. Can anyone tell me why my amp is doing this? Is it ground loop?

Silver Member
Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 141
its that your gains are turned up too high. have them about about 1/4 - 1/2 up, never more as you could damage your speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Well even when i turn them down it still does it but if i turn em down any lower than they are now then my subs dont work at all all you here is static

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2965
what are you using, and how is this all wired?
L and R are left and right channel input sensitivity.
they should each affect their respective channel for gain balancing and should be set about even.

yeah the amp may be bad...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Im using 2 12" Alpines and an MTX amp. I had them wired at 2ohms going to each channel and them i switched it now they are wired in parallel at 4ohms but it does the same thing no matter wut way they are wired.And the right gain does nothing at all. Will this damage my subs by leaving them hooked up like this? I was thinking about getting a new amp anyway,but im not sure wut to get i was thinking maybe the Alpine mrd-m500,Alpine mrd-m1000,or a JL 500/1. Would any of these be good? Orany other suggestions? Prince isnt a concern.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2976
the JL 500/1 or a Kicker KX600.1 are good choices.
Arc Audio has some good amplifiers as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us