Eclipse Amp Acts Up

Bronze Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 59
I've had my Eclipse amps (model 32440) for a lil ova 2 yrs and I have never had a prob out of it till today. I have it pushing my 2 sets of JL components. Well today on a lil road trip my door speakers stopped playing and all that was playin was my subs. I powered off my HU and turned it back on about a minute later and it was fine. They stopped playing again about 20 mins later so I pulled ova to discover that the power light on the amp was off. I wiggled the cords to see if any of them had come loose but they were all in place. I turned off the HU again and turned it back on and the amp came right on. What could this be? Anyone Help!

joe718
Unregistered guest
I had a problem like that one time, it might be just a loose ground wire to the body of the car. since you had the amp 2 years no problems I know its not over heating. Also check for a break in your power, ground and remote lines.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2909
yup check grounds and remote.
could be the head unit, too.

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 61
Well here the latest war report. I had 2 JL tweeters twisted into the channels where i had my back door components. One of the tweets is blown after my amp shut off yesterday. The funny thing is my components are louder for some odd reason. Is it safe to twist tweeters into the same channel as other speakers or should I just get them hooked to my HU? Thx for all the Help Wolf..... you need to charge for ya knowledge. lol

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 62
Hey Wolf, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I don't think it's the ground or the remote becuase if I turn off the HU then power it on the amps comes on. So its either the amp or the HU. Can u narrow it down for me logically. How would you trouble shoot this situation.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2928
process of elimination, and I suggested ground or remote due to a possible intermittant connection which is typical of what you described.
The amp could also be bad.

Bronze Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 66
I called the place where I got the install from 2 yrs ago and he told me to come up Thurdsay for a diagnostics.Two people also told me that Eclipse amps have a shut-off mechanisim that will shu the whole amp off if one of your speakers has a short or is blown to prevent a fire. My tweeter blew and I didnt realize it so maybe I'll just unhook it and see what happens next.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2950
oh yeah, if the tweeter went and the coil shorted, the amp would go into thermal protection.. but usually it'll stay that way until the short is removed.
It wouldn't just click on, then come back to normal right after..

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 90
After it cools off? Low impedance=shorted circuit which implies (?) above limits current, which leeds to overheating, thus thermal protection, am I right?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2966
a dead short is just that.. no impedance. if that happens, the over-current protection shouldn't reset itself till the short is removed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us