2'nd brand new JL Audio 1000/1 amp WTF???!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Riniflex01

Post Number: 13
Ok so Im on my second amplifier. Its powering 2 JL W6 v2's. This is actually my third, the first was stolen. Anyways for a while the bass would cut out at high volumes, then moderate volumes, then almost all volumes. Also somtimes the bass would fade in and out as if i was messing with the bass controls. I have checked the ground wires remote wires, all connections are good. Took back to dealer they checked, all was good. Now heres the kicker (not the company), they send my amp to JL for service. They do a complete work up on it and say no problems. So the dealer fights for me and they send me a new amp. Just got it last week. The system was good for the first few days and now its fading in and out again. There is no cutting out though. Now here the thing about my truck, 2000 jimmy. The stock amp puts out only 105 amps, the fuse for the amp is 100 amps. Could this be the problem?? Could theh electrical system not be powerful enought to handle the sound system??

My two solutions that im toying with are H.O. alternator or an optima heavy duty battery. Not really feeling the capacitors because i believe i will need 4 for the 1000 watt amp. 1/2 farad per 250 watts, i think those where the increments

you guys have any ideas???? HELP!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1302
If you can recreate the situation where it cuts out, check to see if the amplifier is actually turning off. If it is, monitor the voltage with a DMM. If goes below 12 volts, you need a new (bigger) alternator.

Bronze Member
Username: Riniflex01

Post Number: 15
Well this time the bass isnt cutting out completly, its just fading in andn out. It does it randomly, whenever, low high volumes at any time it feels like it

WTF!!!!!

sorry its getting frustrating.

The system has gone below 12 amps before when its blasting, its been downt to 11.2 before, but thats the gauge thats on the radio so its not 100% but its enought to tell me that the voltage is hurtin bad

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1306
11.2 is way low. It shouldn't be below 12.0

In that case, the amplifier was probably turning off due to low voltage. If that is in fact the problem, a HO alternator will fix it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us