How do I run my amp at 14.4volts instead of 12????

Username: Joebruce

Post Number: 3
How do I run my amp at 14.4volts instead of 12? Will this give my subs more watts? Do I need a capacitor?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2880
14.4 volts is the charging output (above idle)( for most high output alternators, or what you can set an external voltage regulator for on some cars.

the amp will produce slightly more power at 14.4VDC than it will at 12VDC only if the amp does not have a regulated power supply.

a capacitor will have no effect for this contect.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2881
pardon me. for this "context."

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 68
I don't think you'll ever have more than 13,2 volt from your alternator, engine running...
As for the cap question, I believe caps are meant to fasten the current demand speeds (a 1uF is faster than a 100uF, as well as a 1uF should be faster than the batt/alternator), when the music you're playing has too many transients. What I mean is, if you're into caps, you must add, starting in 1 Farad, 10 mF, 100uF, 1uF, 0.01uF, all in parallel, only like this you'll get faster bass whitout loosing the depth of it. Adding only a 1F cap won't make much (almost none) difference.
Just an opinion, of course! Hope I helped

Post Number: 5
RMS Power 12.5 VDC
2 Ohm Load 180 w x 2
4 Ohm Load 90 w x 2
Bridged 4 Ohm Load 360 w
Dynamic Power 14.4 VDC
2 Ohm Load 250 w x 2
4 Ohm Load 125 w x 2
Bridged 4 Ohm Load 500 w

Those are the specs. on my amp,so am i only getting 180x2??

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2887
above idle, the alternator will put out whatever voltage your voltage regulator is set to deliver.
usually 13.8 to 14.4VDC

Post Number: 6
Sorry Im kinda new to this stuff and im not sure wut you mean? How would i get the most watts out of my amp or is there anything i could do??

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 71
Just make sure your car's electrics (alternator) can handle the power, I had to turn off the lights on my way back home today (2h16m am here), lol

Anonymous

You also didn't say what ohm load you were running. The easy way to check what voltage you're car is putting out is with a multimeter when the car is running, both when the amp is on and off. If the voltage drops horribly (below 12 Volts) you probably need to upgrade your alternator. My dad put a new 120 amp alternator on his truck (1983 Chevy C-10, doesn't have a system) and the voltage is actually closer to 15-16. Regulator is fine, the truck doesn't have computer controls or anything, so there is not much that will drag down the 120amp alt. on a truck whose only electronics are the headlights, radio, A/C, and windshield wipers. 15 volts scared me, but everything is fine.

Post Number: 7
Im runnging to Alpine Type R's in 2ohms to each channel. Should I bridge my amp/subs? Is the amp that I have not powerful enogh to run them? Wut size speaker wire should i use?

Also Im thinking about getting another amp either a JL 500/1,or 1000watt Alpine amp,or a 500 watt Alpine.Which one would work the best with this setup??

Anonymous

You didn't say the type of amp, so it's hard to tell. So I assume it's a 2 channel amp, and DVC 4 ohm subs, wired for a 2 ohm load on each channel. Depending on the wattage of the amp, it may or may not be enough, bridging the amp could help, wire the DVC on each sub in series, then the wire from each sub to the amp in parallel. I dont know which amp you currently have, but I assume it puts out less than the JL 500. The Alpine, you listed the amps maximum rating, you need to look and see the RMS rating of the amp. A JBL 600.1 would work for them, though, as it can handle a 1 ohm load.

Post Number: 8
Its an MTX amp i listed the specs above. So would a JL 500/1 amp be to much for both of the subs? I think the rms of the 1000watt Alpine is 500 at 4ohms and 700 at 2ohms, and for the 500 watt Alpine its 350 at 2ohms and 175 at 4ohms but Im not real sure.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2894
I wouldn't bother trying to get that little bit of power out of an amp with a higher voltage.
you won't hear any difference.
to get a +3dB increase in volume, you need literally twice the power from the amplifier..
to get +10dB, which is double the volume, you need TEN times the amplifier power.
so, as you can probably guess, going from 12V to 14V, and getting an extra 5 watts or so, won't mean squat in all honesty.
not unless you compete professionally, and are aiming to increase SPL by a fraction of a decibel on an RTA meter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us