Blown hifonics amp, second time... help?

Silver Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 302
ok after the first time i checked my wiring eveyrthing seemed to be fine... the first time it happned my amp was clipping , i would have it up it would cut out, i turn radio off and on and it came on, it did that like 8 times over a period of time, i didnt think anything of it... then it did it, i smelt the amp and it dont put anything out, it illuminated like the lighting on the amp, but no lighting on the power button, maybe i had the gain set to high, or idk what happned, but could it be an internal fuse? if so is the internal fuse easy to find , pic of it? thanks for any help.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4955
How did it blow in the first place? Have you opened it up to see if any components are visibly fried? I doubt there's any kind of internal fuse...

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 303
well wen amps blow say due to clipping, having gain set too high, wat usually needs done to fix it?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 688
Here comes the clue train....last stop, amplifiers.

Quit buying Hifonics.

Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 9
ok, u gotta explain what is wrong with hifonics, i thought they were on the top of their game along with kicker but from this forum that seems different, is it just an american thing??

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3765
hifonics is a good budget amp and that's about it. along the same line as kicker - far, far from it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5001
Any number of components could be damaged, Rick. Just saying it's blown because the gains were set too high is much too vague. You're going to have to open it up and tell us if anything looks visibly fried. I'm guessing you blew the MOSFETS or PSU caps. And yeah, Hifonics isn't so great.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 304
i dont see anything visibly blown, yet, and i dont know what to look for, i want to try to repair this my self becuz woofersetc is taken to long to respond....

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 305
let me give u some more info... i had a second battery in my trunk, it i ran power wire form my other battery back to it, and grounded it in my trunk, then i has a 100amp anl fuse ran into this amp...i had the gain pretty high, could giving too much power to the amp blow it? i think its rated at 90 amps.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 547
There is nothing wrong with Hifonics when you know what you are doing and hook it up correctly. I have had many Hifonics and they all lasted years for me. I have re-sold everyone but the two I have now and they all worked perfectly fine. My buddy has had a problem with his but it was his mistake that caused the problem and was repaired for $35. If I were you I would stay away from Hifonics and have someone intall your "good" stuff. JMO

Silver Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 105
You guys are trippin. Their XX series KILLS.
I have an old Titan that slams.
Hifonics has some very nice high end stuff. You guys either haven't used much of their stuff or have really bad luck.

Thread starter, is your amp a brutus? Not stable to 1 ohm? My guess by your description is that you wired the impedance too low trying to get it to hit harder or by putting all the + and -'s together with dvc's and the amp finally gave.

...???

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 306
oh, and also could a blown fuse on the amp, could that still illuminate the lights on the amp, but not produce power?

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 858
im not a personal hifonics fan.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5004

quote:

You guys either haven't used much of their stuff or have really bad luck.

It's good to know that you've had luck with one of their products, but consensus says they're sub par. From my personal experience I tend to agree.

quote:

oh, and also could a blown fuse on the amp, could that still illuminate the lights on the amp, but not produce power?

I still don't think it's a fuse. I'm pretty sure you blew something in the PSU. And honestly, wait for woofersetc to respond, because it's not going to be that easy of a repair...

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5, New Jersey Ocean

Post Number: 206
Why are people putting the blame on the Amp??? If you drive a car with no oil and the engine blows up its not the cars fault.. I know that Hifonics amps..."BRUTUS" are not the best, when used properly they will do a good job..I have had my bxi 1206 for over a year no problems

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 5007
We aren't putting the blame on the amp. :-) We're curious as to why hifonics fans are appearing in a thread about one that has blown and telling us how great they are. Essentially, however, all of the hifonics opinions on quality are off-topic and really should stop. :P This thread was posted in order to help get the amp repaired. Let's get that done. :-)

Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 10
the ssecond battery wouldn't have done anything to it, i've been running my system thru a second batter for about a year now, it hasn't caused any probs and the fuse size (correct me if im wrong) is there to protect the battery from a discharge from the amp if u have like a crash or something as the amp should have its own set of fuses to protect it so (and again if im wrong) the bigger the fuse between the two batteries the better but obviously not too big.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
I love it. "stop buying hifonics", "hifonics is a good budget amp and that's about it" gets cheers

And then someone posts something that the bandwagon disagrees with, and all of a sudden it's "off topic and really should stop". Hilarious.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
WHoops, I'm just baked. I need to learn to read.
Nevermind, yo...

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5, New Jersey Ocean

Post Number: 209
Jerome you were right. when they were bashing Hifonics it was on topic.

Bronze Member
Username: Wrencher

Brighton, Illinois USA

Post Number: 13
Hi fonics were once great amps. The series 5, 6, 7, 8, and generation 10 were awesome in quality and sound. Those were made by Zed Audio. Then Maxxsonics bought out Hifonics and move amp assembly to foreign lands. That's when they went downhill. So if you want a good Hifonics, you will have to stick with old school ones.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 587
Thank you I- Malik for re-wording, and backing up, my other post. LL

Bronze Member
Username: Loudblazer

El reno, Ok

Post Number: 21
I have a 250 watt hifonics pushin 2 1000 watt 12's and my roof flexes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us