Question about wiring

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbobbyhoward

Post Number: 15
I have a 4 channel amp and one subwoofer. I bought 1 L.O.C. converter and have my amp bridged in channels 1 and 2. Is there anyway I can bridge channels 1 and 4 to get more power? Will I need another L.O.C.? Or is there anyway I can wire all 4 channels to the one subwoofer?

Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 4
if you look near where the wires connect to the amp you should see like instrcutions that say "Bridge" if you don't then my best bet would be to just leave it alone as it may not be able to handle the power, but hey i'm not a professional by any means so.....

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 723
I've never heard of anyone bridging a 4 channel amp to a single output. Not sure it can be done.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 377
it can be. but you wont get the added power, it would be the same as if you bridged it to a two channel and just used one channel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
That sucks, I don't know what I was thinking when I got the 4 channel over a two. What if I bridged channels 1 and 2 together, bridged channels 3 and 4, and hooked the two bridged channels together to the sub, think that would work?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 726
What is your subwoofer's voice coil configuration? You can potentiall bridge 1+2 for 1 coil and 3+4 to the other coil. To do this, your sub must be dual voice coil. Your amp must be stable at each coil's impedance (i.e.: 2ohm or 4ohm?) when bridged, and your box will need to have an extra set of terminals outside so you can hook up each coil separately. Just sounds like you need to use this 4 channel amp for other applications and just get your self a decent mono (1 channel) subwoofer amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The sub is dual 2 ohm voice coils. The amp can be either 4-8 ohms bridged. I don't know if this will help, but wired in parallel, the manual says that's 1 ohm. And in series, that's 4 ohms.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 728
So that eliminates the possibility that I mentioned above. Get a mono sub amp. How much power does the sub need? Which sub is it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
It's a Power Acoustik Mofo 12". 2400 peak, 1200 RMS.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11778
solution:
take the 4 channel amp and bridge channels 1&2 together, and channels 3&4 together. this makes a more powerful, 4 ohm stable, 2-channel amp.
use this to drive our front stage.
pick up a small, mono class D amp and use this for a subwoofer or two.

if you're running from the factory stereo head unit, you may need a simple electronic crossover to split up tha channels, such as the Coustic XM-3

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 733
Yeah, what he said. Is the sub dual 2ohm voice coil?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Aight, sounds good. I got the factory still, and got a Peripheral P50A converter, I'm going to need another one, but how will I hook it up? The same way to the rear speakers? And yes, the sub is dual 2 ohm voice coil.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I've actually seen online (now that you guys have cleared things up for me some) that I can wire the DVC's independently to each channel of the amp. Which will be the loudest? In stereo mode it gets 2-4 ohms, and bridged it gets 4-8. I have the sub wired in series to present a 4 ohm load. So if I bridge 1 & 2 together and 3 & 4 together, that will be 8 ohms right? ...I've confused myself now. I just want the loudest I can get right now until I get money to buy another amp. I'm looking at the Power Acoustik SL-2600D (SL2600D) amp just because it looks like a match, is that one good?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11786
I'd use a PAC OEM-1 LOC.
it taps into the factory wiring with a T harness so no wires are cut, and has a box giving you 4 RCA channel outputs with adjustable gain.
that way you get front and rear RCA outputs. if you want a sub output you'll need an external crossover or EQ that offers 4 channels in, and 6 out, again, like the XM-3 I mentioned earlier
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us