What do you think about this amp Kenwood excelon

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2346
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-07-Kenwood-Excelon-KAC-X40-4-channel-Amplifier-AMP_W0QQi temZ180101197086QQcategoryZ39741QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It goes 75rms x 4 @ 4ohms. would be great for my tweeters. I'm going with a active setup. What do you think? I know its kenwood, but its kenwood excelon! so does that help. =). If you got any better choices then feel free to say so. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1319
All the kenwood amps I've seen get hot and crap out?

Try this one

Less watts but way better quality and kicker underates there amps.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3579_Kicker+KX200.4+.html

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3741
i used to have a 4 channel kenwood and never had a problem with it. never got hot or shut off, sold it to a friend and he's never had a problem with it either. only kenwood amps i've really seen having a heat problem are their mono's. far from the best though but the excelon is supposed to be decent.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1202
Kenwood excelon are ok, they don't have the problems the regular kenwoods have, but they're still not great.

For a 75 x 4 amp, this would be my choice:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=254

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12032
yeah Excelon's are very nice

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2347
we'll I'm still looking around because I'm still confused on which one to purchase. The 300/4 would be awesome, I find people selling them on CA for 240-250 shipped. So you guys don't think the kenwood would be a good choice? its like 300 at wooferetc and so forth.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1203
Definitely get the JL if you can get one for that price. They make great amps but they're usually expensive.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2348
yeah, I'm thinking about getting 3 of them actually. 1 would drive my tweeters, and the other two will drive my midbass/midrange CDT m6 drivers. Thinking about selling my massive p800.4 soon so I can do this. But I might just keep it.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2350
I'm thinking about two 450/4's now.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11762
anything kenwood is total crap in my experience.
looks great, and lasts about a week before it fails.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4948
Yep, the Excelon series is no different in build quality from the regular series. They just stamp the label on the front and give it a slightly better warranty.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1219
Jexx, do the excelons have different power supplies?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4351
i wouldn't buy kenwood.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2357
well im not going to try to buy it anymore, I'm trying to look for some jl 450/4's, two of them will be good, but ever since glsswolf mentioned that there re fakes out there i dunno.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2358
ok nvm...........maybe i was dreaming but i herd it somewhere....

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4954
From what I've seen, there really is no 'quality' difference in the pcb design and components used for the excelon series amplifiers in comparison to the regular Kenwood amps.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1229
Hmm interesting. I have seen tons of kenwoods have their power supplies fail, but I think I've only even seen one blown excelon.

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 435
yes i just got done having my 9102d kenwood amp that i had used maybe 10 dya sout of 3 months and its doneee. lol but yea myne never once got hot on me even when i was coming from wis dells all the way to racine i played it and checked it but was like barely warm it never got hot though.. i just wont buy another kenwood product aagain uz i got riped and didnt get my money back or get it fixed
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us