HO Alternators...

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 456
I've been looking at Iraggi's HO alts for my truck(96 F-350), and i notice IDLE amperage goes down? max amperage goes up, price goes up...

why?
is max amperage even a number to go by ?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11745
do you know anything about alternators?
the output of the alternator is based on engine speed, since it's belt-driven from the crank speed of the engine. The faster the alternator is turning, the more current it can produce.

and yes, peak current output is what the alternator is all about.
the more current the alternator can put out, the more you have to use for your audio system and accessories. The problem is, in order to produce more current, you need more windings on the alternator's rotors and stators, you need more, heavier duty diode banks, a larger voltage regulator, and a casing capable of handling or relieving more heat build-up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 469
No I don't know very much about them.

I know it is based on engine speed, but does that mean my stock alt(95 amp) is a MAX rating too, or is that an idle rating?

As a peak current rating, can it hold that number? can it continuously put out say, 180 amps for a few minutes or will it only do it for spikes?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3937
its 95 at full output witch it probly reaches around 2.5k rpms and it puts out the power that is demanded from it

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
Okay, so if I get an amp with a fuse rating of say, 120, then it would be safest to go with 95a + 120a alternator? therefor being 215(220, w/e)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
bump~

Silver Member
Username: Sheriff

Post Number: 269
You plan on combining the two alternators? Is that even possible?

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 702
If you're adding an HO alternator to combine the 2, you'll need heavy gauge wiring, which in turn will require a fuse with a large rating. www.bcae1.com explains the relationship between wire size and inline fuse rating required.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 703
If you're adding an HO alternator to combine the 2, you'll need heavy gauge wiring, which in turn will require a fuse with a large rating. www.bcae1.com explains the relationship between wire size and inline fuse rating required.

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
no no!
lol not combining, but if an amp CAN draw 120a, would it not completely cover it if I got a 220a alternator?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 707
it should be about right if you got 220amp alt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us